test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Subsystem attack wisdom?

vedauwoovedauwoo Member Posts: 215 Arc User
So...I find with subsystem attacks....and with the Intel weakness exploit mechanic..... I tend to pick one at random to use....

So, is there a logic to their use? Are particular factions or types of ship captains more or less compromised to weapon sub attack vs engines or shields? And, by extension, the same with intel attack for ships that have them.....is one preferable depending on target or attacker strength? Is there a way to discern what systems are more vulnerable on a target in the heat of battle?

Comments

• Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    vedauwoo wrote: »
    So...I find with subsystem attacks....and with the Intel weakness exploit mechanic..... I tend to pick one at random to use....

So, is there a logic to their use? Are particular factions or types of ship captains more or less compromised to weapon sub attack vs engines or shields? And, by extension, the same with intel attack for ships that have them.....is one preferable depending on target or attacker strength? Is there a way to discern what systems are more vulnerable on a target in the heat of battle?

What an elegant question. If there is a logic to their use I've missed it as I often tend to pick one at random as well so not too much wisdom here.

The Intel mechanic gather intel has to build stacks. By the time full stacks are on it 15 seconds has passed and quite often the target has already blown up. It does work but isn't something I use very often due to the stack time. Perhaps it's something best saved for larger targets?

As for which vulnerability target that's the elegant part. I usually use Expose Vulnerability: Defenses for the damage resist debuff. Certainly is food for thought on which would be most appropriate for Voth or Tzenkethi and other targets.

Science sub-system targeting attacks are something that I also don't use as often these days with so many other things to take care of. How much Drain Expertise to drop a ship's shields and for how long and again which sub-system to target for certain stubborn species?

It might be something I should be doing more often but science builds these days have so many other powerful epg laced attacks that seem to bypass things like shields. It's something that would be nice to play around with on less busy maps.

I do use sensor analysis on larger targets that team mates are focusing fire on for the damage resist debuff. SA seems to be well worth applying manually on anything that's going to put up a fight.
  • Options
    vedauwoovedauwoo Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    Yeah....I barely use the subsystem attacks....only use the intel suite as it comes with my ship (Mirror Galaxy Dreadnought) and, like you said, it's good to tag a big enemy with and then go clear the smalls and come back....

I guess I should further pay attention to my hangar pets and what type of weapons they have....perhaps the magic is in hitting the subsystem that they can damage most... or, conversely, subsystem attack an alternate system to get more widespread damage....

A better thing to focus my attention on would really prolly be upgrading weapons and consoles to XV, you know, for the numbers..... lolx
  • Options
    nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    can't say I use them much, but when I do it's always shields or weapons. no shields I hurt them more no weapons I'm hanging in the fight more.
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Can you actually disable subsystems long enough to make a difference? I have the feeling that everything but the most basic swarm type cannon fodder has a lot of resistance or downright immunity to subsystem disables that you are better off, in terms of efficiency, to just deal more damage over using finesse.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,320 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Can you actually disable subsystems long enough to make a difference? I have the feeling that everything but the most basic swarm type cannon fodder has a lot of resistance or downright immunity to subsystem disables that you are better off, in terms of efficiency, to just deal more damage over using finesse.

That's the impression i get.
    Subsystem targeting lowers weapon damage output and disables BO/BFAW fire modes to gain a chance to knock a subsystem offline which the NPC usually repairs instantly.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.