test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

does the 20% resistance stack?

whistlerdavidwhistlerdavid Member Posts: 416 Arc User
i was wondering if the 20% resistance stacks on shields if you have two 20% resistance of the same energy type ?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,988 Arc User
    Fwiw, shield capacity in combination with something like Auxiliary to the Structural Integrity Field or Auxiliary to Inertial Dampeners might be more worth while in providing a cushion and additional damage resists.
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    Depending on how you count there are 2 or 3 types of resistance which stack in different ways. Generally speaking 75% is the cap. The main form of resistance say 20% of the same energy type has diminishing returns, the skill based way doesnt have diminishing returns against other skill sources but has a cap at 75% while the bonus resistance way bypasses diminishing returns and goes over 75%. Plus there is dodge which is effectively 20% damage reduction, then apply resistance.

It always amazes me one of the most important stats for your ship is not displayed anywhere in game. One would think shield resistance would be listed.

Not sure how hard it is for you to get, the single best source of shield resistance is the Voth Power Core console. That 1 console with 125 shield power and EPtS3 and you are pretty close to 75% more so if you add a bit of resistance from the main shield. https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Console_-_Universal_-_Voth_Power_Subcore
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Really frustrating there's no readout for shield hardness anywhere.

Shields innately have higher damage resistance against torpedo damage. Beam type energy weapons deal more damage to shields and less to hull, while for cannons the damage dealt would be equal.

Shields also have bleedthrough, which affects how much damage they absorb in order to better protect the hull.

It really does not help the descriptions are not even consistent. That Voth console says it's +30% Shield Resistance, percentage of what? Is it acting like a bonus on top of shield hardness?

I have no idea if I'm hitting hard caps on shielding, and all the solo testing hasn't helped, so I would like answers too on top of proper shield specs in game.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    There's no readout for dodge either - which is kind of annoying when you're trying to build a dodge-based character and you have no idea how much you have.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
This discussion has been closed.