test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The 2nd official /r/stocostumes costume contest! (PC)

stocostumes#8412 stocostumes Member Posts: 53 Arc User
As many long time players will tell you, the true "endgame" of STO is space barbie! Well, at least for some of us :D

To celebrate the fun of making costumes in STO, r/stocostumes is holding it's second official costume contest! (previous contest details here).

The winner of this contest will receive an appropriately "space barbie" themed prize, the Lower Decks uniform set. And because the devs did not actually include pants with that costume, we are also including the Discovery season 3 uniform so the winner will have the "right" pants to go with the Lower Decks costume! Yes, that's right; the winner is getting both costumes :)

The winning costume will also be added to the Featured Costumes Index under the "Costume Contest winners" section.

If you would like to enter the contest, post both a screenshot and the saved costume file of a costume you have created as a reply to this thread before 12PM(noon) EST on Friday October 1st 2021. The r/stocostumes team will then pick their favorite entry and announce the winner.

To be clear, by "costume" we do not simply mean the outfit/clothing that is being "worn" by the character. We mean the entire character, including both facial and body features as well as the outfit/clothing they are wearing.

Please note that the saved costume file will need to be uploaded to some type of file sharing site like google drive, because uploading it to an image sharing site like imgur will not preserve the file details that allow the costume to be loaded in game. Also, because the entire purpose of r/stocostumes is to share cool costumes with the community, please understand that by posting your saved costume file it will then be publicly available for others to download and use(and even change) in the future.

Important Notes
  • Each person may only submit a single entry.
  • Unfortunately we are only able to hold this contest for PC players. Sadly we do not have prizes available on console nor can console players share saved costumes for review.
  • This contest will also be posted on the sto reddit, and as such as are allowing entries to be posted both in this thread as well as the thread we post on the sto reddit. The winner will be chosen from all submitted entries in both locations.

So...that's about it (for now). If you have any specific questions or concerns please post a reply. We look forward to seeing your costumes and announcing the winner next month :)
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    :thumbsup:

I'd enter if I had any costuming skills. (Narrator: he does not.)

https://youtu.be/c-2IyKDTUGE?t=26
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    Woot!
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    still not sure how saving a costume file works....
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    While I can't enter the contest as a console player, my costuming skills is still pretty on point, here's one of my posts, and yes I came here to gloat, Mwahahahah! https://www.reddit.com/r/stocostumes/comments/np4y1a/boreths_secret_recipe_for_kahless_clones/
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    BTW if you guys are planning on making TOS Terrans you need DSC Terran Boots and tight pants since in the Episode Mirror, Mirror the boots are thigh high even on the males, I'm helping since came off as a jerk by being a bit of show off earlier, not everyone has the skills to pay the bills.
  • Options
    Bump for weekend readers :)
  • Options
    felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    still not sure how saving a costume file works....

When you're in the tailor, you can click the 'save outfit' button (only in-game, you can't save during character creation). That saves a .jpg file to your screenshots folder, which is the costume file. That jpg can be uploaded or moved wherever necessary.
  • Options
    There is 1 week left, so if you would like to enter the contest please submit your screenshot and saved costume file by 12:00PM (noon) EST on 10/01/21.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I'll be submitting my take on a Deferi service, called the Deferi Star Patrol.

eJCGpIV.jpg

9PfrdOa.jpg

Costume file: https://jmp.sh/Na7zgR8

Although I honestly don't know whether I submitted this to a prior contest. If so, I'm sorry xD​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    angrytarg wrote: »

eJCGpIV.jpg

9PfrdOa.jpg

Costume file: https://jmp.sh/Na7zgR8

Although I honestly don't know whether I submitted this to a prior contest. If so, I'm sorry xD​​

This might make the Deferi actually interesting, while I liked their neutrality gimmick, it was getting to the point of being suicidal when the Breen invaded and started shooting up the place, you'd think it would cause cultural division just like how the Sundering did with Vulcans and Romulans, the neutral loving Deferi should stay on their planet while the militarized Deferi leave the homeworld to hunt down Breen out of vengeance.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @paradox#7391 said:
    > This might make the Deferi actually interesting, while I liked their neutrality gimmick, it was getting to the point of being suicidal when the Breen invaded and started shooting up the place, you'd think it would cause cultural division just like how the Sundering did with Vulcans and Romulans, the neutral loving Deferi should stay on their planet while the militarized Deferi leave the homeworld to hunt down Breen out of vengeance.

I have a bit of lore written down about that, it was a project I started back in 2016. I always felt that Cryptic did not do the Deferi justice. Writing a people devoted to true neutrality (in an alignment sense) is not easy, and then being portrait as just being completely passive in regards to being invaded made no sense, they aren't Mintakans. There are Deferi DOFFs you can get from Star clusters, their little Bio-texts suggest that those individuals joining your crew were willing to defend their world. My take was, roughly, that Surah spearheaded the Defender Initiative, forming a service trained by KDF and Starfleet to slowly take control over their space back into their own hands. I came up with doctrines how their troops operate (ranks, uniforms), which ships to use for stand-ins for modern Deferi ships (I settled for Vorgon ships and a loaned Narcine) and I'm playing Deferi characters ever since, I even wrote Foundry missions back in the day.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    https://ibb.co/3RmgTs0

lister.png

I think the Rimmer is best. If you can only submit one.

Costume-Qul-Tuq-Lister-Headshotstyle-Default-01-686364716.jpg

I take that back. Rimmer is only tolerable in moderation.

arnoldrimmerbsc.png
    Post edited by qultuq on
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Writing a people devoted to true neutrality (in an alignment sense) is not easy

Shouldn't be that hard - just study the Swiss; they've been neutral for how many decades now?​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    > @legendarylycan#5411 said:
    > Shouldn't be that hard - just study the Swiss; they've been neutral for how many decades now?​​

“Neutral” with an active military of 120,000 people. And ranked in the top 30 for country millitary expenditure relative to GDP.

I think the Teddy Roosevelt quote about “speaking softly” carting “big sticks” is apt here. The Deferri refused to protect themselves from invasion and cybernetic assimilation. The Swiss prioritized economic colonialism over militaristic colonialism—but would still protect themselves if invaded.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

qultuq wrote: »
    I think the Rimmer is best. If you can only submit one.

Update: the winning costume has now been chosen, but we would also like to send you a thank you gift for participating in the contest. Please provide the in game @ handle you would like to have your gift mailed to :)
  • Options
    @stocostumes#8412 I messaged you. Thank you again for hosting the contest.
This discussion has been closed.