test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Game won't start

devencombsdevencombs Member Posts: 222 Arc User
I cannot get the game to start. When I click Engage on the launcher, I get a black screen with the spinning blue wheel, and it stays there. I have force verified several times. It worked fine last night and there have been no changes to my computer since then. Is anyone else having this problem?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,516 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    devencombs wrote: »
    I cannot get the game to start. When I click Engage on the launcher, I get a black screen with the spinning blue wheel, and it stays there. I have force verified several times. It worked fine last night and there have been no changes to my computer since then. Is anyone else having this problem?

Except for the spinning blue wheel that sounds a bit like the blackscreen bug that was hitting some people all summer. What I had to do for that one was bring up task manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL) and kill the game and launcher processes, then immediately start it up again from the desktop and it would load normally that second time (provided I restarted it within about 15 seconds or so).

That trick only worked on PC of course, I have no idea how the Console users got around the problem (or even if they had it).
  • Options

Except for the spinning blue wheel that sounds a bit like the blackscreen bug that was hitting some people last month. What I had to do for that one was bring up task manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL) and kill the game and launcher processes, then immediately start it up again from the desktop and it would load normally that second time (provided I restarted it within about 15 seconds or so).

Unfortunately that doesn't work for me. I tried brining up the task manager, but it wouldn't show. The game client was always in front of the task manager and the only thing I could do was press the Windows key and restart the computer.
  • Options
    Had to start it in Safe Mode, which reset the window to a really small size. Then I had to reset the display options back to where they were before. So what happened to make it do this in the first place?
  • Options
    howtorhowtor Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    i had this issue had to run it from the .exe file in the STO folder
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,516 Arc User
    Had to start it in Safe Mode, which reset the window to a really small size. Then I had to reset the display options back to where they were before. So what happened to make it do this in the first place?

It could have been a corrupted preferences file that set your screen to something it could not display, some games are vulnerable to that kind of thing.
  • Options
    cyllus2014cyllus2014 Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    howtor wrote: »
    i had this issue had to run it from the .exe file in the STO folder

This usually works. I had your problem a few days ago... wish I'd remembered this before I uninstalled/reinstalled the game.
  • Options
    darthoricidarthorici Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    I call it work from home bug. But all you have to do is close the game out and run it again .works for when I get it.
  • Options
    mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited September 2021

Except for the spinning blue wheel that sounds a bit like the blackscreen bug that was hitting some people all summer. What I had to do for that one was bring up task manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL) and kill the game and launcher processes, then immediately start it up again from the desktop and it would load normally that second time (provided I restarted it within about 15 seconds or so).

That trick only worked on PC of course, I have no idea how the Console users got around the problem (or even if they had it).
    This is, as of yesterday, where I still find myself occasionally.

Post edited by mithrosnomore on
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    Oh, I still have the black screen. A good day is one ctl alt del. A bad day is messing around to get the arc page and the launcher to launch for 15 min so that I can get the black screen then 2 or 3 ctl alt del before it goes.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    lcars5000lcars5000 Member Posts: 1 New User
    same thing is happening to my at-ctl- del does not work
  • Options
    oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    Yea, guys, it's the ARC launcher, and this has happened many times before.. I couldn't log in because of who knows what this AM.. checked the forums, said "yep" found the actual STO install directory, created a shortcut to my desktop for the STO executable.. game launched, no issues. You can also use the STO launcher to run a file consistency check and repair the install if there is something wrong with it.

"I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
This discussion has been closed.