test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ship change and load out annoyances

fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,797 Arc User
I've flown my Brigid for a long time, but until now I hadn't used its console. I probably deleted it after claiming the ship years ago.

Now, instead of being able to reclaim the console for this ship that I already have from the dedicated menu...

I had to delete it.
Including all its load outs.
The tailor customisation
I had to make room in my inventory for all the gear that I'd have to take off.

And then I had to claim the exact same ship again.

Then I found out that all my traits - including the space, reputation and even the ground personal ones that have nothing to do with the ship whatsoever - had reset for some stupid reason.

So I had to figure out what I had been using. Put everything back. Then I could finally resume putting my ship back together again.

I had to customise it again. Which wasn't too much work, but that's only because I took the precaution of making a screenshot. Because I've known this game for a while and I expected things to go wrong.

Time to beam up.

Had to put the boffs in their right seats.
Check whether all gear was placed correctly.

Saved it to a new load out - I just hope all my slots (I had bought some extra ones) were returned to me btw.

Decided to change a single Boff ability, so I beamed down to get to the Boff trainer.
Beamed up again after training that Boff.

And... then I found out that all my traits had been emptied AGAIN.

This isn't the first time this happens either. Just a couple of weeks ago, I had the same issue with my assault cruiser that I've flown for ages on another toon. One console is missing, meaning you have to go through so much trouble just to get it back.

Cryptic. There is room for improvement here (in case it wasn't clear yet that this is *#@! annoying). First, allow us to claim things from ships we own without having to go through this unnecessarily complicated process. That alone would mean much less trouble for players. And the system for this is in place, cause consoles from lockbox ships and so on CAN be reclaimed without having to delete the ship.

Second, finally fix the load outs and everything related to it. When traits were added to be included in them, it caused all sorts of side effects. Those have largely been solved, but the system still isn't functioning the way it should. Problems that occurred while making the change may have been fixed, the intended positive effects are still largely missing.
[4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    trekkiejedigirl#9564 trekkiejedigirl Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    Er, Please don't take me the wrong way because I'm not trying to belittle you or your issue in any way. But I don't seem to have this problem. All my load outs seem to hold fine on all my ships and I switch between 4 to 5 per character regularly once they have reached max level.

If you haven't done so yet If I were you I'd file a ticket. Ppl can say what they want but when I've had an issue Cryptic has given me some of the best and most prompt also most understanding and willingness and patient service in any game I've ever played and that is saying a lot.

In any case I wish you the absolute very best of luck in getting your issue corrected. :)
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,512 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    I have had trouble with devices falling out into main inventory and traits deslotting for a while now (and even a weapon once or twice), but I found it happens less if loadouts are used (if made in system space, like floating outside ESD or other space social zone). And with a loadout, even if they do that (which still occasionally happens) it is one click to put it all back.

On the other hand, setting up a new ship is unnecessarily clunky, one sorely needed filter on the "P" floater is one that masks out all the boff skills (and possibly the weapon manual fire icons since almost everyone seems to use automatic) so at least it is not so cluttered that constant scrolling is necessary.

Even better would be if in addition to those filters the ship setup logic tried to put whatever it can of the previous hotbar icons in the same spot they were in on the other ship and leave blank the spots for things that are not in the new build. Of course this would probably require a new button in the "P" floater to copy the previous hotbar layout over since it would be a lag-inducing mess if it tried to fit things like that every time you beam to the ship.
  • Options
    edrickvellorinedrickvellorin Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    Manually loading the loadout that was saved should restore everything space related to the state it was in when the loadout was saved. However if the loadout doesn't say "unsaved changes" then you would have to manually make a change (say swap two tray powers) in order to properly load the loadout. (Loading won't do anything if it thinks the saved loadout is exactly the same as the current loadout, and it may not take traits into account there.)

While I've switched to ships I haven't used in a while and had to setup space traits since their loadouts were saved before traits were added to loadouts, I haven't had to redo ground traits since the last time I had to do a respec. (Which was quite a while ago now.)

In theory one thing that might be possible for them to do, without database overhead on their part, would be to make console commands to save your loadout/traits/trays to a text file. You can do that for the UI and for Keybinds. (Though I can't say I've tried loading a saved UI in STO.) They'd have to handle cases where someone tried to load a loadout that's not possible with the current ship/character though.

There are some console commands that, in theory, could be used to setup tray powers, but I don't know for sure if they actually work and I'm not totally sure how to use them. If they did work, a user created STO macro might help with setting up ship trays. Macros being another thing I haven't messed with in STO, so I don't know if or how they work.
  • Options
    Update:

The problem really is with deleting ships.

I'm cleaning up some of my older characters, including their ship rosters. So I deleted some ships and now the ship that I've been flying for weeks had its traits also reset. Or at least, some of them. Reputation and ship traits were emptied, personal traits were not affected this time.

Re-applying the saved load-out doesn't work either.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    trekkiejedigirl#9564 trekkiejedigirl Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    Update:

I'm cleaning up some of my older characters, including their ship rosters. So I deleted some ships and now the ship that I've been flying for weeks had its traits also reset. Or at least, some of them. Reputation and ship traits were emptied, personal traits were not affected this time.

Your right of course I forgot the part in his/her post above that talked about deleting the ship. That in turn would of course delete the loadout. I've been playing since release and have been a lifer now for over 5-6 years or so and I own nearly every Romulan ship and every Klingon ship including the Zen store ships ya used to buy when leveling before leveling ships were introduced (I like the consoles) and a great number of Federation ships and of course the Jem Hadar ships especially the T6 Jem'Hadar Dreadnought Carrier - my fav ship in the game and I never delete a ship because I found out early on that if I do my loadouts will go with it. So ya, I am a ship slot buying junkie on over 38 characters that I have (most are Romulans as they as said are my peeps). So you are right FleetCaptain5 about ship deletions deleting the loadouts but I'm not sure that is what the OP is getting at here. Please OP correct me if I'm wrong? :)
  • Options
    nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    Update:

If I am reading this right, you have the trilithium omni array in the leftmost rear weapon slot, the RMC in the leftmost read slot, and T'vrell in the Lt Sci slot. you delete that ship, and those people/items are removed from still existing builds/ships? that's a bug from deleting the tables for the deleted ship. you def want to submit a report if what I gathered is true.
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    Deleting a ship obviously deletes its loadouts. Can't even fault 'em for that (otherwise the amount of stale meta data would become overwhelming ere long).

Overall, loadouts work reasonably well, except for Traits. Like whenever you get to Tier 6 in a rep. Then all Traits of that rep get unslotted, yeah, removed from your loadouts even (so reload won't do anything). There is (some mumbo-jumbo aside) no real good reason to unslot those. (On some Traits, their state may go to Improved or something; mind you, some Traits, not all of them).

Also, exporting loadouts to .txt, great idea, but they'll never go for it: why give you a free loadout, when they can instead take some more money from you?
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    westmetals wrote: »
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Overall, loadouts work reasonably well, except for Traits. Like whenever you get to Tier 6 in a rep. Then all Traits of that rep get unslotted, yeah, removed from your loadouts even (so reload won't do anything). There is (some mumbo-jumbo aside) no real good reason to unslot those. (On some Traits, their state may go to Improved or something; mind you, some Traits, not all of them).

Actually there is a good reason: it actually deletes the standard (tier 5) form of those traits and replaces them with the enhanced (tier 6) form, rather than upgrading the existing trait, because there isn't a mechanism for having the same-named trait with variable stats.

So the loadout doesn't recognize it as being the same trait, because it isn't the same trait.

There's still no good reason to not iterate over your loadouts with a simple 'search and replace' database query, once you reach Tier 6 in a rep. But, granted, in the grand scheme of things, this one is minor.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    Deleting a ship obviously deletes its loadouts. Can't even fault 'em for that (otherwise the amount of stale meta data would become overwhelming ere long).

Also, exporting loadouts to .txt, great idea, but they'll never go for it: why give you a free loadout, when they can instead take some more money from you?

What I was wondering about is whether the slots are returned though - if you have spent, say, four extra load out slots on that ship, you'd think the slots would be returned after deleting the ship.

• Options
    nixie50 wrote: »
    Update:

If I am reading this right, you have the trilithium omni array in the leftmost rear weapon slot, the RMC in the leftmost read slot, and T'vrell in the Lt Sci slot. you delete that ship, and those people/items are removed from still existing builds/ships? that's a bug from deleting the tables for the deleted ship. you def want to submit a report if what I gathered is true.

First (in my original post), I reclaimed the exact same ship and a lot of totally unrelated stuff (like ground reputation and personal ground traits) were removed.

Of course Boffs and gear are removed from a ship that is deleted, even when reclaimed. But the issue is that a lot of other stuff also gets reset when it has nothing to do with that (or even any) ship.

Then I deleted several other ships, and yes, traits were removed from the one I had active - which shouldn't be affected in any way cause it's a totally different ship.

• Options

What I was wondering about is whether the slots are returned though - if you have spent, say, four extra load out slots on that ship, you'd think the slots would be returned after deleting the ship.

Yes, they are returned. :)

3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    sniper1187sniper1187 Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    Set up loadout, device full 20 weapon, 20 shield, 20 weapon platform, save loadout, go into space, check ship again, each device now only has 1 of 20 in each of the slots, the other 19 pieces of each device are back in my invent.
    "Nuke the entire site from orbit--it's the only way to be sure"
  • Options
    chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    sniper1187 wrote: »
    Set up loadout, device full 20 weapon, 20 shield, 20 weapon platform, save loadout, go into space, check ship again, each device now only has 1 of 20 in each of the slots, the other 19 pieces of each device are back in my invent.

This happens to me all the fornicating time, and it's infuriating.
    And I'm not saving on the ground, I am saving in space, but it still happens.

• Options
    captainmarvelushcaptainmarvelush Member Posts: 134 Arc User
    Update:

I had the sane problem. I deleted some of my older ships that I no longer fly and when I went back to my normal ship 90% of my traits had been removed.

Also, earlier today I replaced a ship console with a different one. Later on, for some reason, I couldn't remember the original console, so I clicked on the loadout, as I had yet to save the new one. When I did, the old console came up and the replacement disappeared. It was nowhere and believe me, I looked everywhere. After a while, it popped back up in my inventory, but for a good ten minutes it was totally gone. And it's not the first time this has happened. Last time, I never got the console back.
    Captain of the Thunder and the Lightning

46cq7exrnlgb.jpg
This discussion has been closed.