test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Game has become unplayable since last event patch

tommydog#4752 tommydog Member Posts: 11 Arc User
I have been playing this game for 6 years at full fx settings that the game itself set for me. Besides having the lag and rubberbanding that plagued the game last year the game has been working like it always has. Now the day before the event there was a mini pre patch and players in my fleet from England mostly were complaining that their game has become un-playable. Then the next day I was playing and everything was fine, the patch starts downloading and later on that afternoon I sign back in only to find that now I can no longer play the game.

Now let me be specific. I can fly around and play missions but walking in ESD is very laggy. If I go to Risa and face the dance floor my entire screen freezes. I loose so much FPS that i can't even type but if I turn sideways or face the sun I have no problems. Yesterday i was able to play the Dyson space battle zone and the Voth zone but today I couldn't play the Voth zone. I tried lowering my FX settings and had to go all th eway to the LOWEST settings in order to play, which basically means i see nothing LOL

I have made a ticket and they asked for specific system information and I did all the scans and sent the report, I made sure everything was updated and tried other games. My gaming rig works perfectly. But the reply from Cryptic staff was saying that it was a problem on my end. Clearly it's not since i can play other games that are far more demanding than STO.

So is anyone else having these type of problems?
I have tried a complete installation and Dyson was still a lag-fest. How is it possible that 1 minute I am playing at full FX settings and then after the event patch I can no longer play the game?

Any ideas are welcome.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Would it be possible for us to tell us your system specs? Namely, the CPU you have, the Graphics Card, how much RAM, and how good is your internet connection?

There weren't any performance related changes (that I am aware of) in the last patch so this seems odd that it was fine pre-patch. Just to clarify, prior to the patch you could play the game with no problems at all? Everything was smooth?
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Those problems...no. Now STO crashing and taking out EVERYTHING else that is running on my computer and corrupt other programs...yep have that issue. Just be glad the extent of your STO issues is small as it is...some players can't even log on to play at all...or the extreme in my case of it does what actual purpose written malware does.

Wow.. I had no idea.

Completely unacceptable, that should never happen.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    varethaelvarethael Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    Well Im lucky (or not) because I only have weapons problem..., and a bit of lags on ground social zones.

After House United update, my toons suffer weapons malfunctions. After few minutes of space battle, my weapons go in to locked state, where game arbitrary "select" at random some weapons, and will grey them out. This grayed out weapons will not fire, no matter what. So doing any space battle, or this event is almost impossible... or I will be only a pathetic ballast to my team.
  • Options
    Those problems...no. Now STO crashing and taking out EVERYTHING else that is running on my computer and corrupt other programs...yep have that issue. Just be glad the extent of your STO issues is small as it is...some players can't even log on to play at all...or the extreme in my case of it does what actual purpose written malware does.

Yes I am starting to believe this is directly from ARC, as for the other inquiries all I can tell you is that my gaming rig works perfectly on Elder Scrolls Online, played for 2 hours and smooth. And I appreciate all the help and support but one of you is actually calling me a liar here LOL My game worked PERFECTLY before the patch. I play early morning for the endeavors before work and left 1 hour prior to the patch. Now the game is not working.

In fact I can still battle in Ker'rat, still play the Event TFO, still play on other open ground maps. It is just mainly on Risa and now Dyson space zones.

But I am now believing that this is coming straight from Arc and that when their new policy pop up appears and you agree to it that they are placing some type of mallware to scan your system because the morning before the patch started I did sign into the Arc so I could enter a Key Code and redeem the giveaway. That is the only other thing that happened/changed.

Thanks, I know I am not the only one with these problems and other players in my fleet (including one of the leaders) is having issues as well.

Oh well, off to play ESO at highest settings :)
  • Options
    varethaelvarethael Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited May 2021
    But I am now believing that this is coming straight from Arc and that when their new policy pop up appears and you agree to it that they are placing some type of mallware to scan your system because the morning before the patch started I did sign into the Arc so I could enter a Key Code and redeem the giveaway.

ARC is compromised long ago. If you wish to play smoothly, then don't use it.

I currently play trough launcher, and that's enough. I simply don't need another forced spying program*, that cause problems with the PC or the game itself.

But current game problems are not ARC related, at least not mine (random weapon slots locks).

* - Same as Pearl Abyss done with their new, and shiny antic-hack in Black desert online, straight from Epic store;), which require now windows update, or win 10 to launch game at all. So i lost access to this game, game that i bought... sigh, that is the current policy, rob players and spy on them.
  • Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    For me, I've had an issue for the last...month, six-weeks or so. I used to be able to start Arc and get into the game no problem. Now, I start Arc, click to start the game and get black screen instead of the loading screen. I end up having to close the client with Task Manager and when I try it again, then it works.

I've tried uninstalling etc, but it's a problem that only started no more than two-months ago. And it's Every. Single. Time.
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    kayajay wrote: »
    For me, I've had an issue for the last...month, six-weeks or so. I used to be able to start Arc and get into the game no problem. Now, I start Arc, click to start the game and get black screen instead of the loading screen. I end up having to close the client with Task Manager and when I try it again, then it works.

I've tried uninstalling etc, but it's a problem that only started no more than two-months ago. And it's Every. Single. Time.

I had that problem with the game on the laptop, until Arc started erroring out trying to patch itself on startup, and wouldn't even run. I just put a link to the STO launcher on my desktop, and use that.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,394 Arc User
    I can confirm the game is crashing to desktop a lot more on my side. "A lot more" as in I usually had like 3 crashes a year and now, it's about 2 crashes a day.

I can confirm one crash was when I left a patrol and returned to orbit of ESD, another was crashing during a patrol and another crashed during a loading screen (this one I don't remember exactly what I was doing, but I think it was a transwarp, and it took down Steam a few seconds before crashing).

Between this, the lag randomly coming back and the weapon stopping shooting, it's becoming more painful to play in good conditions.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    No real lag anymore, but do crash to desktop more often than before, and weapons failing to fire makes this a fully broken game at least for space. Only workaround a fleet mate discovered is to blow yourself up in a warp core breach and hope the bug doesn't return too quickly. I use no 3rd party nonsense to launch, just the game itself.

From reddit, it seems tribble test server weapons locking bug is still not fixed.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    sniper1187sniper1187 Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    Stopped buying Zen, they won't fix the problems. Went back to WOW and Dead Frontiers 2, let them take my money, their games work. lol
    "Nuke the entire site from orbit--it's the only way to be sure"
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Crash number one today.......more to follow. 3 total crashes today last on was 3 minutes ago 35f347. this TRIBBLE is getting old
    Post edited by sniper1187 on
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2021
    It's kind of a sad state of this game when I can say, it's been a good day for STO, it only crashed 3 times and didn't corrupt any other programs and be completely un-sarcastic.

Yea I think it's happening to a lot of people, though sadly only very few post to forums trying to help. There seems to really be 3 unique and all likely all similar symptoms of the same problem.
    1. Black Screens, no Cryptic logo or graphics of any type when starting.
    2. Game Crashes, sometimes one or several each day.
    3. Weapons FX don't seem to show firing for some people.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1261957/load-game-since-5-25-update-just-black-screen-or-crashes

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1262060/game-crashes

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1261966/weapons-wont-fire
    No real lag anymore, but do crash to desktop more often than before, and weapons failing to fire makes this a fully broken game at least for space. Only workaround a fleet mate discovered is to blow yourself up in a warp core breach and hope the bug doesn't return too quickly. I use no 3rd party nonsense to launch, just the game itself.

From reddit, it seems tribble test server weapons locking bug is still not fixed.

Yea it be real nice if for once to put a few DEVs on this to resolve it, especially given the program was very reliable for years prior to 5/25.
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    Yes weapon effects not showing up , also ground traits showing up in my space tray LOL

My bet it has something to do with the new backgrounds at ESD but also the bad code that was used.

This is th eonly gaming company I now that doesn't use their testing server FIRST, they just dump all this junk into the game and then try to solve all the problems they caused. This is not the way to run a company, any company, it's ridiculous really. If they were professional they would do it correctly or not at all.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    Just as a counterpoint, it hasn't happened to myself or my roommate at all.

(I do experience crashes on STO's sister game, CO, almost every time I change maps, though...)

This may be an Arc thing - I have my desktop link directly to the STO launcher, and he runs his through Steam.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options

jonsills wrote: »

So what? Just because you two are not experiencing it doesn't mean others aren't. Many people played all last year without any lag and people posted here that the g were liars LMAO But we all now that the lag issues were real. Cryptic admitted it many times but still people posted that the lag issues were not real LOL

Well I am happy for you but the issues are real and they have been confirmed by the DPS League and the PvP fleets. These people know and understand the game better than anyone. So when the Leaders of the DPS League and the remaining PvP fleets/teams are confirming all these issues then you can bet they are real because there are current and ex Cryptic employees that play this game and are high ranking members in "both" those groups.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    kayajay wrote: »

This is the only issue I have. I've had it since it started. Recently, about 10% of the time the game loads the first time, but most often I have to force close and restart.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    lnbladelnblade Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »

(I do experience crashes on STO's sister game, CO, almost every time I change maps, though...)

This may be an Arc thing - I have my desktop link directly to the STO launcher, and he runs his through Steam.
    I use a direct shortcut to the game rather than going through Arc and I've also had a noticeable uptick in game crashes in the last few weeks. It can be as few as one or two in a week or as many as 3 or 4 in a day. So I don't think it's related to the Arc launcher.

I've also been having issues with game audio. It's noticeably lower quality and I'm getting a lot of random pops, some maps worse than others. I made sure I'm using the most current drivers, but that hasn't helped. It's only STO experiencing these issues, the audio on other games or videos/music is fine.
  • Options
    well personally I don't use ARC, only to claim free keys or to use Force Verify otherwise I use Steam. A few years ago people on the DPS League Discord warned me not to use it. Steam works fine for me and most of the old DPS/PvP players just have the STO EXE file linked to their desktop which is highly recommended.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    So what? Just because you two are not experiencing it doesn't mean others aren't.
    And just because you are doesn't mean that "everyone" is and that the game is "unplayable" - it means that YOU are experiencing this and the game is unplayable FOR YOU.

The second attitude can lead to tracking down what the issue actually is, and solving it. The first merely leads to blind alleys for programmers, and an attitude from players like yourself that the devs "just don't care". Seen it time and again.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    I have a lot of lag lately.. only on STO.. perhaps a regresion from the previous optimization hamsters??
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I've experienced hard crashes maybe twice since I saw the reports here. I have also noticed that my terrible rubberbanding/lag has almost disappeared.

I hope the devs can track this down for those who are experiencing a lot more of this than I am.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    I was in ESD the other day going from one place to another and it gave me the options screen for when you die in a mission / tfo then crashed to desktop! Thankfully I dont get this constantly but hey I wasnt getting shot at and shouldnt of died LOL :(.
  • Options
    faelon#8433 faelon Member Posts: 358 Arc User
    Just a heads up. A lot of this might not be STO. With May's Windows 10 Update Microsoft added the XBox Live Tools and Services to EVERYBODY. These startup in the background whenever you start a game, pretty much any game. And in a lot of cases it seems to consume way more resources than it should. And disabling the damn thing seems to be questionable as to if it actually works.
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2021
    No because I haven't just rebooted my machine, and when I do I wait till everything is running.

Also I've gotten the black screen once on 5/25, then again after the update this thursday 6/10. The machine had been on for at least 30 minutes to an hour. Some get this all the time though, yet the most are concerned with Crashes, sometimes once a day for some.

Though several get 2-5x + crashes or more.
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    15 different zones, 14 timeouts to server, ONE DAMN full connect out of 15 times... jesus
This discussion has been closed.