test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Naming Admiralty Ships

warriordadwarriordad Member Posts: 1 Arc User
I couldn't find it via searching, but has there been any discussion about allowing players to name their admiralty ships? Whether done as a quality of life upgrade or as a perk one could purchase, it would be nice to be admiral of a fleet of named ships. When I look at my roster of ships, I see ships I earned because I used to captain "that ship". It would be cool to give those ships their corresponding names.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    There has been no talk of naming admiralty cards. Named ship admiralty cards tend to be of Gold Quality, like the USS Sally Ride, USS Rhode Island, and USS Pastak.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    A naming function would be nice to have indeed.

And I'd like to see the same for Doffs. It's something of almost no importance to the functioning of the system of course, but it would greatly complement the sense of really owning your character and whatever you put in its bio (the ship(s) I command, among other things in my case).
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    I'm not against this, but server and storage load are reasons not to do it. Currently every card and doff is identical and can be stored using just one fixed ID code per item per player. The details of the card or doff are the same across all players so many lookups are probably faster because they can be cached across users. 10,000 players all have a doff ID #1234567890 = John Smith, Con Officer, Green, Federation, (traits list).

If you can customize that doff it becomes: unique ID #abcdefgh, base ID #1234567890, name = (string) and every lookup of the details has the cached part (info from the base ID) + the unique info of the name.
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    Yes I agree with @davefenestrator per the above.
    0zxlclk.png
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    There's only one change to admiralty cards that I currently feel is greatly missing -- duplicate single-use cards *stacking*.

Oh, that would be nice. I have 5-10 each of many cards on my older alts.

Or I suppose I should just force myself to use them instead of hoarding them forever, but I'm saving them for a rainy day.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    I'm not against this, but server and storage load are reasons not to do it. Currently every card and doff is identical and can be stored using just one fixed ID code per item per player. The details of the card or doff are the same across all players so many lookups are probably faster because they can be cached across users. 10,000 players all have a doff ID #1234567890 = John Smith, Con Officer, Green, Federation, (traits list).

If you can customize that doff it becomes: unique ID #abcdefgh, base ID #1234567890, name = (string) and every lookup of the details has the cached part (info from the base ID) + the unique info of the name.

I disagree with this entirely. This is a perfect case for storing this info as local data, like your preferences file. You can have some simple text file that reads in strings to replace names of admiralty cards with those strings, and the local computer is what takes time to go through that list and set it up so you see what you want to see.
  • mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    I'd settle for auto-populate like the DOFFs do...

Allowing the ship list to be sorted, searched, or even stretched out would be nice too.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    There's only one change to admiralty cards that I currently feel is greatly missing -- duplicate single-use cards *stacking*.

That would be nice.

But the single feature I'd most like is being able to tag Favorites. Put the 10-15 cards I use all the time, at the top of the list.
This discussion has been closed.