test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Change my mind: Temer Raider Edition

pulpsmack#4226 pulpsmack Member Posts: 96 Arc User
Rejoined after a long hiatus and JUST missed the 11th Ani unlock.

2nd chance offers an insulting 5% off for Zen purchase (which is few and far between via console). Granted, a totally subjective question that varies with individual/playstyle, but out of the gate, it seems underwhelming for me, particularly for a $30-50 single-ship purchase, rather than the participation award that most earned.

Initial thoughts (TL;DR) below

- Unlike Alliance Cruiser with strong KDF/Fed stylistic influences, the visuals (to me) seem completely Romulan (not KDF/Rom hybrid as advertised) and somewhat clunky at that, particularly in the Alliance hull material.

- Minimal science Boff ability. Seems like all-KDF/no-Rom on the inside. The KDF Recruit M’Chala BoP clearly offers more on the seating layout.

- Improved Stealth. Not sure how it translates but not sure how significant it is to the M’Chala BoP pkg., esp w. The KDF-earned Boff. Might be the only/few perks(?).

- Trait: Long-range Torp (sniper) seems interesting for decloak/assault/run-and-hide, but not as useful as some energy weapons buff on decloak and I am guessing not a compelling trait worth slotting above many others(?)

Console: maybe some splainin would help convince me, but I’m not seeing the widespread appeal. The “portable lance” from the Alliance cruiser seems like a clear winner for a non-set console. This raider console seems way less impressive, esp as a non-set item to pay to collect.

TL;DR/Summary- if not awarded as a participation trophy, the ship seems vastly worthwhile to spend $ on when the KDF Recruit seems to scratch the same itch for free with better seat selection.

Agree? Disagree? Feel like weighing in (on spending $30-$50 for the single ship)?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    Tl;dr edit - Does NOT seem worthwhile for $$$

Sorry about the typing error
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    Not going to change your mind; matter of taste. However, the Klingon influence is clear in the long neck, atypical of Romulan craft (they prefer more compact designs, frequently recalling birds rather than, well, something that frankly seems like compensation for some self-perceived shortfall).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,517 Arc User
    In your shoes I'd save my money to put towards some other ship.

The trait doesn't excite me, the looks don't make me want it for Space Barbie, the specs don't make it a standout ship to fly ignoring Space Barbie.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    - Unlike Alliance Cruiser with strong KDF/Fed stylistic influences, the visuals (to me) seem completely Romulan (not KDF/Rom hybrid as advertised) and somewhat clunky at that, particularly in the Alliance hull material.
    For me, the ship is way more Klingon than Romulan. The only moment it feels Romulan is during combat with the wing shape becoming curvier, unlike the straight line Klingon aesthetics.
    Console: maybe some splainin would help convince me, but I’m not seeing the widespread appeal. The “portable lance” from the Alliance cruiser seems like a clear winner for a non-set console. This raider console seems way less impressive, esp as a non-set item to pay to collect.
    I think the main appeal is more in the second ability and the bonuses coming with both, since it's a significant damage & shield penetration boost and then, speed, turn rate and control resistance boost. Very useful with the "beached whale" kind of ships.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    -
    The forward pod/bridge, guns, and aft engine assembly are all very Klingon. The latter two are particularly similar to the Mat'ha Raptor.
    - Trait: Long-range Torp (sniper) seems interesting for decloak/assault/run-and-hide, but not as useful as some energy weapons buff on decloak and I am guessing not a compelling trait worth slotting above many others(?)
    It's nice for dedicated Torpedo Bombers. More of a filler trait if you've already got access to Checkmate and the usual EPG/GW suspects, but it's certainly not a 'bad' trait.
    The AoE blast is pretty decent if you're stacking a bunch of AP damage, but it is certainly more of what I would consider a flashy gimmick.

A 5/1 Raider with EBC is a fairly unique setup, but it tends to work against itself for a fully specialized build. For an EBC Projectile Boat, I'd rather have the 4/2 arrangement for mines; as a 5-fore Gunship, the Maquis Raider(7Tac consoles, MW seating, Improved Flanking) and Mat'ha(OSS, Disruptor Autocannons) are far superior.

I personally don't find the Temer to be amazing, but it is a 'nice to have'/'fun to mess around with' ship. (I really do hate all the people running around with that experimental weapon though - can't tell you how many times I've had people push enemies all the way out of my weapon's range in a battlezone objective.)
  • Options
    > @westmetals said:

>
    > I'm sorry that you feel you should be able to buy out the ship for cheaper than a Zen store ship, while having apparently not participated in the event barely at all (as the buyout cost scales based on the partial progress you made).

... only informed purchases at the Zen store are either:

- multi-ship bundles (which sell at significantly lower prices per ship than a la carte); or

- or rare a la carte purchase that is WORTH the premium, which I suspect, (and some here seem to confirm) this one is not.

And to speak further to your point... I’d even go so far as to argue that they should receive a discount as opposed to “whole cloth” zen ships because (aside from being freely-given for events) they invariably seem to pop up in Phoenix Prize packs after enough time passes anyway. It is simply an “instant gratification tax” for those who missed out but want it more than they mind waiting.
  • Options
    garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    If you want a great torp boat, this is the ship for you. The only ship I would say is a better torp boat is the Legendary T'liss.
  • Options
    husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    garaffe wrote: »
    If you want a great torp boat, this is the ship for you. The only ship I would say is a better torp boat is the Legendary T'liss.

Matter of taste I would say. Technically if you just one to see one big solid boom. The Temer is actually better. It is a raider and as such can get a full 50% cat 2 dmg bonus from cloak ambush.

T'liss has an extra rear weapon slot.. Temer for what its worth has 4 universal boff seats if you want to do something less traditional build wise.

I don't know I go back and forth on which one is better over all. For sure though if you just want to try and land one big 1.5 million dmg Temporal Torp or something... the temer is your ship. lol

To the OP though ya I am not sure I would pay the full pop buy out.... BUT it still might be cheaper then buying it via the mudd store down the line if you are inclined to want a torp boat. (If ships like the legendary T'liss didn't appeal to you then probably wait for a different place to burn your zen)
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,513 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    The OP mentioned that they just came back to STO and just missed the bulk of the anneversary event period (I did pretty much the same thing when I returned to the game after a long absence, though in my case it was the Bajoran Interceptor) so of course they didn't have much (if any) of a reduction in buyout.

The Temere actually looks mostly Klingon to me, it has that run over by a steamroller look of most Klingon intelligence ships, only slightly Romulan looking in the curves where the Klingons would have put angles.

The console is actually pretty nice, and the experimental weapon that kicks the enemy back makes for an interesting change from the usual. Other than that though, while the ship is nice it is not likely to be a meta must-have either so getting the buyout or not is more a matter of whether it appeals to you enough or not.

It is responsive and handles well, almost like a Faeht, if that is important to your play style, but then the KDF recruit ship is not bad in that respect either (in fact, it actually turns a little faster though it does not seem to "slip" quite as well).
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    The Temer is a good ship.. but lets be clear what it is, it’s an event ship.

These ships aren’t bad, in fact.. some of them are quite good, but none of them are top of the line and that is by design. While the ship is a good ship, it’s value is in the fact that it was a free account unlock if you did the event. If you didn’t do the event, then no, the ship is absolutely not worth it. For that same price ($30+) you can get superior ships from the C-Store that will unlock for your account.

If you were opening boxes anyway for upgrades and you got lucky and got an epic.. sure.. grab it and enjoy. As far as spending money so you can crank on Phoenix Boxes just for the purpose of getting the ship? Absolutely not worth it.

And for the record, the best Torp boat is the Tzenkethi Tzen-Tar. :smiley:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited April 2021

These ships aren’t bad, in fact.. some of them are quite good, but none of them are top of the line and that is by design. While the ship is a good ship, it’s value is in the fact that it was a free account unlock if you did the event. If you didn’t do the event, then no, the ship is absolutely not worth it. For that same price ($30+) you can get superior ships from the C-Store that will unlock for your account.

If you were opening boxes anyway for upgrades and you got lucky and got an epic.. sure.. grab it and enjoy. As far as spending money so you can crank on Phoenix Boxes just for the purpose of getting the ship? Absolutely not worth it.

Well as a ship the Temer is essentially a slightly different version of the Legendary T'Liss. So I would say its value is actually very very good for a event ship.

If you go down the list of stats comparing the two....

Turn rate... Temer wins by 1
    Hull... Tliss has 9k higher base hull
    Shield... Temer has a slightly higher shield mod
    Power buffs are the same 15 wep 5 eng
    Tliss has a Tac Intel seat... and a Lt Cmd universal command / Temer only has the Lt cmd uni/cmd but all but its commander seats are universal [I would score this for the tliss... BUT not by much intel seats are not that important on a torp bomber]
    Tliss is 5/2 vs temer 5/1... small win for the t'liss
    Consoles.... both have the standard 11 Temer has one more tac console. Score for the Temer
    Both are enhanced battle cloak ships
    Tliss has a sing core (IMO that is a negative... sing powers are power creeped to pointless and the power drain sucks pun intended) so Score for the warp core running temer
    Temer has raider flanking

Also as a raider the Temer gets an extra 10% bonus ambush dmg. (which means you can push it to 50% ambush bonus vs 40 on the tliss)

• Options
    westmetals wrote: »

Isn't the buyout also account-unlock? (like getting it from the event?)

Yes, what you get from the buyout is exactly the same as if you got it from the event prize wise.
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    I would say if there is the remote possibility you'd ever want this ship, get it now. It will be more expensive as a MUDD ship, I believe.

As for why you'd ever want it, it is one of the best raiders available. If you like that playstyle, I'd say its worth getting.
  • Options
    The issue isn’t really the quality of the Temer.. yes, it’s one of the best Raiders you can get.. the problem is.. it’s a Raider.

Look, I like the ship.. it’s cool and I am happy to have it, but the honest truth is that Raiders themselves are in a bit of a tough spot with the way the game is right now. There just isn’t a huge place for Raiders, they are ships you fly because you like Raiders.. you fly them because you enjoy them, not because they’re the best ship for a particular job. In most cases, you can outperform them with larger more durable ships which is why I wouldn’t go to any great expense to get any Raider, even one of the best ones.

Now before someone comes along and gets all angry.. I am not saying Raiders suck or that they can’t hang or complete content.. of course they can, but there is a reason you don’t see as many Raider as you do other classes of ships. They are capable ships, but they take more effort then something like a Battlecruiser that also has 5 forward weapons and can be made maneuverable enough to use Cannons or DBB while having far better durability.

If you’re a player that likes Raiders and you know you’re going to fly a Raider.. yes, get the Temer if you can. But I stand by my earlier post, if you have to pay more then $30 and can’t get it as an account unlock, skip it and buy an Arbiter or a Gagarin from the C-Store.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    The experimental weapon is terrible. I use one on a new Delta character which is Alliance themed. At lower levels the stupid weapon pushes enemies out of your range constantly and it doesn't deal enough damage to kill them before. I don't see why this weapon exist, what is this knock-back useful for?
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    angrytarg wrote: »
    The experimental weapon is terrible. I use one on a new Delta character which is Alliance themed. At lower levels the stupid weapon pushes enemies out of your range constantly and it doesn't deal enough damage to kill them before. I don't see why this weapon exist, what is this knock-back useful for?

Agreed. It's a nice ship, but it's probably the worst experimental weapon in the game.. completely useless.
  • Options
    mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    I don't see why this weapon exist, what is this knock-back useful for?

Separating Tzenkethi scum.

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    edited April 2021
    I used it once. Then I went back to the shipyard, removed the Excited Ion Stream (I think that's what it's called? The giant lightning gun, anyway) from another ship, and installed that instead. Much more useful, IMO.

I mean, what can you say? It's an Experimental Weapon, and not all experiments are successful...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    I have a grav well that is balanced more for damage than pull, the push is handy for knocking ships into the center as they try to escape. Also, it is handy if you stay at full normal impulse with a cannon armed ship since it keeps the target in front of you longer so there are fewer dead zone periods turning to keep the enemy in arc.

I have only had it push targets out of range a few times, and that was only for a second or so before I caught back up. More often the problem has been when someone else is also slamming the target and it sort of chip-shots away suddenly at an unexpected angle.

One of my characters uses the full Preserver and Martok sets combined, and with all the shield penetrating weapons including that repulsor I have actually killed some of the flimsier-hulled-but-well-shielded ships without knocking their shields all the way down which is amusing to see (though it is about as niche as you can get).
This discussion has been closed.