test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New pick-3 bundle coming to Mudd's

Comments

• Options
    foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    For this price if it was the 3 ships & the BOFF pack I'd be tempted, aren't these normally 6-option bundles & not 7?

I just don't find the lobi, X-upgrades, & the Ultimate-upgrades in a large enough quantity to be a good enough value for consideration.

Perhaps like many have mentioned if/when it's at a better sale price, I'll reconsider it.

The 3 ship options are interesting though so kudos to Cryptic on that.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    Better wait on a 75% off the ripoff market, even if that's a long time, since the grind for the extra amount would be just as long, and it's terrible to support bad pricing.

So, no deal, until 75% off.

If these things never go on 75% off sales, then forget it, I'll stick to single character unlocks.
    ^This

The only time the packs are worth it is during a 75% discount sale.
    And even then, this pack in particular has a worse value than say, the Dread pack that can give you:
    Hur'q Vedcrid Hive Dreadnought Carrier
    Tholian Tarantula Dreadnought Cruiser
    Paradox Temporal Dreadnought
    50x Pack of Master Keys
    2x Pack of 100% Discount Coupon: Tier 6 Ship
    10x Ultimate Tech Upgrades

Compared to this one:
    Jem’Hadar Strike Ship
    Ferengi Quark-class Marauder
    Maquis Raider
    9x Experimental Ship Upgrade Tokens
    300x Lobi Crystals
    10x Ultimate Tech Upgrades
    Deep Space Nine Holographic Bridge Officers
    Well, thats the price, kinda, of a Legendary ship... with this i get 3 ships, not bad... i'm thinking about it..
    We're getting there, folks. We're getting to the point where people are conditioned into thinking this is an acceptable price because it's cheaper than an overpriced item.

Also:
    jcsww wrote: »
    the gold D'Kora skin has to be included to sell me on this bundle. If it includes the gold D'Kora skin
    Sorry to barge in and crush the hope, but it doesn't. Only the Nagus-class had the golden skin.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    Well, thats the price, kinda, of a Legendary ship... with this i get 3 ships, not bad... i'm thinking about it..
    We're getting there, folks. We're getting to the point where people are conditioned into thinking this is an acceptable price because it's cheaper than an overpriced item.

Exactly. I have noticed more and more folks on the forums rationalizing the price of these new ripoff bundles by saying they are cheaper than previous ripoff bundles. But in the end people will buy what they feel comfortable buying. Cryptic wouldn't keep making these ripoff bundles if there wasn't a large portion of the playerbase interested in that sort of thing.
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    garaffe wrote: »

Exactly. I have noticed more and more folks on the forums rationalizing the price of these new ripoff bundles by saying they are cheaper than previous ripoff bundles. But in the end people will buy what they feel comfortable buying. Cryptic wouldn't keep making these ripoff bundles if there wasn't a large portion of the playerbase interested in that sort of thing.

No, you don't get it.. if they where c-store ships, yeah, way overpriced, but this ones are lobi/promo ships, ussually char bound, that cost millions on the exchange, at discount, this ships are almost 5000 zen each, for the account, it would take me a year to even get the Jemmie ship. They are expensive, yes, they are.. but i'll just expend a lot more buying keys and promo boxes to get even one, i know, i done that before. So, in the interest of saving time, i'm willing to buy this pack, just because it have the jemmie and the Quark in it, 2 ships i really want.
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    gaevsman wrote: »

No, you don't get it.. if they where c-store ships, yeah, way overpriced, but this ones are lobi/promo ships, ussually char bound, that cost millions on the exchange, at discount, this ships are almost 5000 zen each, for the account, it would take me a year to even get the Jemmie ship.
    We get it, and that's actually the whole problem.

You do realize that, even on discount, that's almost TWICE the price of a normal T6 C-Store ship? And pretty much the price of a whole game.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    millefune#8468 millefune Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    Can anyone that has a Quark Marauder please tell me if there are any bugs with it? I bought the bundle with the Amarie Smuggler Ship in it, and it's bugged in that the KDF side quartermaster doesn't sell the commodities (it gives the same duty officer assignments as the Operations Officer elsewhere in the ship) like it does on a Starfleet or Romulan character. I don't want to spend a bunch of money/zen on a bugged item again if it can be prevented. Thanks for your time! ^_^
  • Options
    varethaelvarethael Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    Dang i misread. Thought the bundle would be 75% off at introduction.
    At that price i would have been quite interested in the Raider. Now i am having second thoughts.

Yeah me too... now i must say pass.
  • Options
    varethaelvarethael Member Posts: 79 Arc User

And that's why we are getting a horrible prices, and bad deals (vizier, 11 th anniversary, and so on) more often... because a lot of players are accepting this psycho-manipulation practices.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

No, you don't get it.. if they where c-store ships, yeah, way overpriced, but this ones are lobi/promo ships, ussually char bound, that cost millions on the exchange, at discount, this ships are almost 5000 zen each, for the account, it would take me a year to even get the Jemmie ship.

You do realize that, even on discount, that's almost TWICE the price of a normal T6 C-Store ship? And pretty much the price of a whole game.

This is exactly why I don't pull the trigger on any of these bundles. It might be a 'fair' price in comparison to some other wildly over priced items, but by no means are any of these bundles actually a good value. It doesn't matter if I can afford it or not, I know I shouldn't be sinking $150+ at a time into a single video game which is why I pass on all of these. If I am really feeling the need, I'll find a better use of the $150 and go do that instead.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User

This is exactly why I don't pull the trigger on any of these bundles. It might be a 'fair' price in comparison to some other wildly over priced items, but by no means are any of these bundles actually a good value. It doesn't matter if I can afford it or not, I know I shouldn't be sinking $150+ at a time into a single video game which is why I pass on all of these. If I am really feeling the need, I'll find a better use of the $150 and go do that instead.

+1
    I got a new, higher paying job recently, but I feel even less incentive to give Cryptic any money at all. I have the disposable income now more than ever before, but I see these greedonomic bundle prices and get immediately turned off.
  • Options
    People can internally justify & rationalize to themselves all they want to keep that "sunk cost fallacy" afloat.

People buying these, subjectively, bad valued bundles perpetuate this type of pricing & maybe sapping resources from other parts of STO that could use some fixing/updating but beyond that it doesn't hurt my account.

Hence the saying, "let them eat their cake." Hopefully those buyers can afford it in real-life so let them enjoy it.

I've always wondered how a PvP-focused bundle would sell myself, cram it full of PvP items & sell it high?

All three ships have something going for them, some more than others, & the DS9 BOFF group looked interesting but not at that price.
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,610 Arc User
    garaffe wrote: »
    I do not like these bloated bundles.
    I do not like these Mudd's Market fumbles.
    I will not pay for things I do not need.
    I will not feed Cryptic's growing greed.

I see what you did, Theodore
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User

The exact wording that I like to use in this situation is that this deal is "less bad." It's still a bad deal objectively. Everything in the c-store is a bad deal. Some are less bad than others. Although all c-store deals like this are less bad than forking over $150 for enough keys or promo packs for a single character unlocked promo ship. Or gambling away $500 in keys and winning nothing but a giant pile of lobi. Man, I miss reading posts about people wasting $500. The schadenfreude was real.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    Human nature. Our brain works wonders if we try to rationalize decisions and talk ourselves in our out of something.

Why bring up cash value to its full extend at all in such discussions?

No idea how the rest of you handled it but pretty much all I got in STO was via a mix of played and payed elements as I found limiting myself to either which to get excessive.

At the moment my account sits on 50-52 mil refined dil. Every day over 100k get added. I saved that for my fleets in case cryptic would torture us with another holding. Looks less and less like it every day. For over a year the fleet dil vouchers step in and I probably never get a chance to use them anyway.

It’s not that much of a thing for me here to use a few mil dil to bring the cost of those 3 ships into line of what I am willing to pay for them and that’s what I’m going to do. ;)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    Human nature. Our brain works wonders if we try to rationalize decisions and talk ourselves in our out of something.

No idea how the rest of you handled it but pretty much all I got in STO was via a mix of played and payed elements as I found limiting myself to either which to get excessive.

At the moment my account sits on 50-52 mil refined dil. Every day over 100k get added. I saved that for my fleets in case cryptic would torture us with another holding. Looks less and less like it every day. For over a year the fleet dil vouchers step in and I probably never get a chance to use them anyway.

It’s not that much of a thing for me here to use a few mil dil to bring the cost of those 3 ships into line of what I am willing to pay for them and that’s what I’m going to do. ;)

1st, congrats & well done on stockpiling that much dilithium refined at that.

I've often wondered the mind-set of someone in your position since I'd think the cost/value may not be such a particular weight upon deciding to buy such a pack similar to this or is it still?

Good point about another Fleet Holding potentially being added too maybe this year since it's been awhile.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited March 2021

1st, congrats & well done on stockpiling that much dilithium refined at that.

I've often wondered the mind-set of someone in your position since I'd think the cost/value may not be such a particular weight upon deciding to buy such a pack similar to this or is it still?

Good point about another Fleet Holding potentially being added too maybe this year since it's been awhile.

I think what’s a bit of an off turn for most here are the blunt costs thrown at our faces by the Mudd store especially combination with the perverse high price fluctuations (sales lol) and artificially generated limited availability. I feel the same, especially towards the latter.

Thing is just that for those of us who found their means to get their lobi, lock box and promo ships in the past not much has changed here really and if so only for the better. They always have been obscenely expensive, had highly fluctual prices and were often limited in their availability.

Depending on the individual worth peeps still got all of them (even multiple times) for traits, consoles, weapons and whatsoever. The only lesson learned the hard way for me here is to adjust to the new ways of distribution via Mudd. The pack cost, yea, but for me it pays off as my times to get my ships, multiple times, are over thanks to it.

Mudd does not get me to spend/play more (for) the game. Just the way how I play the game and how I spend my money for it changes because of it.
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    I know this will probably come across as a bit of a doom post, but I've had a growing sentiment for a long time that STO has largely become a 'feeder' for Cryptic's other projects - MTG being the latest hotness. Pretty much all their new titles have been based off existing IPs to milk people's nostalgia for money. And, the business models have just been getting more predatory as time goes on.

I don't blame the developers for this, as I imagine they're being exploited as much as the 'playerbase' is here. The issue is the classic case of 'accountants' rising to management positions where they're so obssessed with numbers that even human beings are reduced to digits on a spreadsheet. The.. 'Cult of Greed'.. demands that the numbers keep going up regardless of consequence, so I sincerely don't think we'll see things improve for the consumer. I presume it will only get worse, while trying to play on sunk cost fallacy as much as possible.

The recent move to all the bundles suggest that the marketing branch has identified that 'whales' are the most profitable/successful means of acquiring better quarterly reports and should be the primary focus(while ignoring all the people who actually want to spend money, but in less amounts).

Getting back on the specific topic, In terms of account usefulness(as a one-time purchase), this newest one is probably the best one to consider when the 75% off "sale" rolls around near the end of the year. Whether it's "worth" actually spending 7500~ zen on is entirely up to the individual to evaluate though.
  • Options

This is what I usually do as well, I cash in in game resources to provide most of what I need and then I meet the difference with a small amount of money that I find acceptable for the value I am receiving. I do have fairly sizable in game resources, but not as much as you have, for me these bundles would be largely cash purchases which is why I usually elect to pass on them.

To this day, the only ‘bundle’ I have jumped on was the Legendary Mirror Dreadnought bundle. I only spent about $15 US on that which was fine.. but that bundle was 4500 Zen total on sale.
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited March 2021

This is what I usually do as well, I cash in in game resources to provide most of what I need and then I meet the difference with a small amount of money that I find acceptable for the value I am receiving. I do have fairly sizable in game resources, but not as much as you have, for me these bundles would be largely cash purchases which is why I usually elect to pass on them.

To this day, the only ‘bundle’ I have jumped on was the Legendary Mirror Dreadnought bundle. I only spent about $15 US on that which was fine.. but that bundle was 4500 Zen total on sale.

I also have stored zen, and the conversion rate of zen in my local currency is equivalent to almost 50 dolars, so, not that bad.. still thinking it thou.. because the T6 Steamrunner is way more important to me :lol:
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options

I also have stored zen, and the conversion rate of zen in my local currency is equivalent to almost 50 dolars, so, not that bad.. still thinking it thou.. because the T6 Steamrunner is way more important to me :lol:

If I remember correctly during that livestream they mentioned that the new Steamrunner will be closer to the tail-end of the year so maybe you'll still have enough time to grind-out more dilithium. lol
  • Options
    duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    C-store ships are $30. And I only consider buying them when on sale.
    These are ~$50 each (at their lowest) so big nope to me.
    I've got too many ships I've paid for sitting around gathering dust, so my need/desire for new ones lessen with every purchase.
    Ask me again in 29 months when my 500 Zen stipend accrues to 15000. :D
  • Options
    sovereign010sovereign010 Member Posts: 636 Arc User
    What I want to know is whether the DS9 holographic officers are any good and if they're worth not getting one of the ships for.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    What I want to know is whether the DS9 holographic officers are any good and if they're worth not getting one of the ships for.

If by "good" you mean they have good space traits? I believe the answer is no. Personally, I picked all three ships because there's nothing that compares to an account wide unlock on a ship and all the goodies that come with that ship.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

They are good if you think they're cool and you want them. If you're looking to augment the power of your ground or space builds, then no, they offer nothing of any relevance and are no better then any generic holo BoFF you can get from any other source.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    I'm waiting for Christmas. Mudd's Bundles last year were 75% off (7375 Zen or 2458 per).
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options

If you meant, like salazarraze said, the BOFFs having Space Traits here's a list I had already posted in this thread:

The (12) DS9 BOFF bundle seems like a decent variety & offering if someone doesn't already have all or some. The ones with Space Traits I think are: Bashir (Leadership & Space Warfare Specialist), Garak (Photographic Memory), Kurland (Leadership), Weyoun (Astrophysicist), Nog (Techie), & Leck (Superior Subterfuge).

If you mean some other criteria: "any good" that subjective decision is yours.
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    Way back in the T5 era I used to spend 20 bucks here and there on things I wanted, but now Cryptic wants 200 bucks here and there and It's just too much IMO.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    nikephorus wrote: »
    Way back in the T5 era I used to spend 20 bucks here and there on things I wanted, but now Cryptic wants 200 bucks here and there and It's just too much IMO.

I agree.

It's like if an amusement park gets less visitors per month/year so they decide to raise the ticket price to compensate for the loss of revenue.
This discussion has been closed.