test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Turn off bloat visuals from ET,ST, and TT, and other buff and de-buff abilities PLEASE!!!

Comments

• nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    Beacon of Kahless - it's too much.

The one I hate the most is that stupid space tornado. I don't even know what the f it is but it goes on forever and makes it impossible to see anything.

there are 2 the blue one from the risian ship and the tan one from the maquis ship. I would like to see them just as they are when they pop, and then fade to a transparency so you can see the aoe, but it's not blinding/obscuring
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    "Disabling player effects in space is a big process because some effects you need to see like gravity well/space tornado so you can know why ships are getting pulled. Game has 25,000 effects that would need to be gone through manually to determine if its essential or not."

uh, no, ask US to make the list. it won't be 25,000 it will be maybe 200
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • newnjanewnja Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    I wouldn't get my hopes up... people have been complaining about this issue since 2012 (when visual spam was just a "baby") and Cryptic never even acknowledged its existence.

Now, after 8 years of begging, the spam is in the state of a "huge monster" which turned me off playing my favorite game, haven't been playing actively for 2 years now and this is the main reason, I just can't... I am unable to see my ship in combat cause of all the seizure-inducing malarkey all over the place.

They DO NOT play their own game, if they did they would do something about it. A simple off button in the options would do just fine.
  • dragon#2626 dragon Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    newnja wrote: »
    I wouldn't get my hopes up... people have been complaining about this issue since 2012 (when visual spam was just a "baby") and Cryptic never even acknowledged its existence.

Now, after 8 years of begging, the spam is in the state of a "huge monster" which turned me off playing my favorite game, haven't been playing actively for 2 years now and this is the main reason, I just can't... I am unable to see my ship in combat cause of all the seizure-inducing malarkey all over the place.

They DO NOT play their own game, if they did they would do something about it. A simple off button in the options would do just fine.

One of many issues they would fix if they actually played the game.
    I swim through a sea of stars. . . .
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I love spam (I really do). Fry it up and slap it on a sandwich with cheese.

But that is the only spam I like. This visual vomit is terrible. They at least need to fix BoK and those tornadoes. The affects from BOFF powers don't annoy me at all compared to what those do.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    Yea I'd honestly wish they could really focus on making several FX a little, or some a lot more Transparent; so you still know where they are just in a bit more subtle fashion.
    0zxlclk.png
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    I keep seeing the usual same abilities, but why is https://sto.gamepedia.com/Ability:_Destabilizing_Resonance_Beam almost never mentioned?

I started re-using it coz Fek'ihri Torment Engine, and my god, this thing's flashing bright pulse on enemies is atrocious.

At least other abilities cover your screen with FX vomit, but they're usually constant and don't have bright things flashing on and off ad-nauseam during their duration.

This ability's VFX must come from a rejected epilepsy test or something.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    I keep seeing the usual same abilities, but why is https://sto.gamepedia.com/Ability:_Destabilizing_Resonance_Beam almost never mentioned?

I started re-using it coz Fek'ihri Torment Engine, and my god, this thing's flashing bright pulse on enemies is atrocious.

At least other abilities cover your screen with FX vomit, but they're usually constant and don't have bright things flashing on and off ad-nauseam during their duration.

This ability's VFX must come from a rejected epilepsy test or something.

This is precisely the reason that I do not use that ability on any of my ships, even though it is a really good ability.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,782 Arc User
    DRB is cast against a single enemy that can be up to 10 km away. And it's only active for 10 seconds.

That may also be why it's not the first thing people mention in threads like these. I find it less annoying than stuff that is placed over your own ship or an anomaly that takes up one specific spot.

Still, for those who do find those abilities annoying too: just give us that option to disable/enable all visual effects from abilities, traits and passives. At this point I don't even care anymore whether they'll allow us to differentiate between different things, like seeing some and others not.

Even having the option to see nothing at all is much better than not having that option at all... and still seeing nothing.
    (The truly sad part regarding the state of the game in this sense is of course that everyone understands why I didn't write down a contradiction there.)
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    DRB is among the top offenders personally, and I use it by turning my camera away from the effect while it's active - sorry to those that have to endure the effect.

If the forums aren't representative of player opinion, they must like the seizure-inducing beams, full screen flashes on many NPC explosions, beacon of kahless blindness, or they would complain too and actually cut into their bottom line with profit and play time, and Cryptic could no longer brush it aside while adding more, and something would actually be done about it.

Imagine grinding a long time and paying real cash only to lose performance and all the space barbie work because the game itself obscures your ship under layers of effects to add to the fact that all powers don't reliably toggle because they can't track the issue and actually fix it like every other MMO or online game of any type.

Don't really have viable alternatives on a sci ship when FBP + trait remains super weak and situational, viral matrix with matching 2nd deflector takes ages to proc, polarize hull has no pve use when engineer boff and other traits can provide reliable armor, and so on.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    One could write a macro in Photoshop to load all the VFX images in a particular folder, set the transparency to 90% rather than 50%, and save them, and that change would solve a lot of problems across the board.
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Of all the things that cause visual vomit in this game, the various little blips for the team abilities are basically on the bottom of the list. We have an ability that blinds EVERYONE in the queue for heaven's sake.

True, these abilities don't blind.

But for players who are zoomed in on their ship because they want to look at it while playing, it can break immersion to see all sorts of weird icons appear on it, all the time.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
    And underneath it, and above it, and around it...

Of all the things that cause visual vomit in this game, the various little blips for the team abilities are basically on the bottom of the list. We have an ability that blinds EVERYONE in the queue for heaven's sake.

But for players who are zoomed in on their ship because they want to look at it while playing, it can break immersion to see all sorts of weird icons appear on it, all the time.

I completely agree, and I am one of those players. However, I think the blinding, flashing, screen-encompassing, headache-inducing visual effects should be addressed first, and then there can be a second option to hide the closer to home visuals like sci/eng/tac teams, etc.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    So many traits/passives have animations I don't even recognize. Like from time to time a orange arrow just appears that points to my ship. I have no idea what is causing this, the animation itself conveys absolutely no useful information. Why does it have to exist?
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    angrytarg wrote: »
    So many traits/passives have animations I don't even recognize. Like from time to time a orange arrow just appears that points to my ship. I have no idea what is causing this, the animation itself conveys absolutely no useful information. Why does it have to exist?

This is so true! There are so many abilities out there it is impossible to know what every little visual blip is supposed to be telling you. Even if you memorize all the visuals for the abilities you are using, this is not help you when it comes to abilities that might be activated by your teammates that affect you.

There is this sci/tac/eng team like animation that appears sometimes that is purple, and I have no clue what it is. It is not one of my abilities, so it must be an ability of a teammate that is giving me an unknown buff. On Xbox, there is no way to check to see what my active effects are, so to this day I have no clue what this unknown ability is doing to me.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @garaffe said:
    > This is so true! There are so many abilities out there it is impossible to know what every little visual blip is supposed to be telling you. Even if you memorize all the visuals for the abilities you are using, this is not help you when it comes to abilities that might be activated by your teammates that affect you.
    >
    > There is this sci/tac/eng team like animation that appears sometimes that is purple, and I have no clue what it is. It is not one of my abilities, so it must be an ability of a teammate that is giving me an unknown buff. On Xbox, there is no way to check to see what my active effects are, so to this day I have no clue what this unknown ability is doing to me.

Not that it helps in any way, but what you describe should be intel team/fleet. But I don't what it does, I think stealth and flanking boni. But yes, my point - a purple circle or sone orange arrow pointing down on my ship doesn't tell me the least bit of information. If soneone heals me with HE I get a beam between ships, that is fine. The effect of TSS tells me I get shield power, also fine. Aux to SiF the integrity field shows, at least gibing a hint sonething happens with your hull armour. But those swirly lines, arrows that point to nothing, those glowy dots... No idea.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    > @garaffe said:
    > This is so true! There are so many abilities out there it is impossible to know what every little visual blip is supposed to be telling you. Even if you memorize all the visuals for the abilities you are using, this is not help you when it comes to abilities that might be activated by your teammates that affect you.
    >
    > There is this sci/tac/eng team like animation that appears sometimes that is purple, and I have no clue what it is. It is not one of my abilities, so it must be an ability of a teammate that is giving me an unknown buff. On Xbox, there is no way to check to see what my active effects are, so to this day I have no clue what this unknown ability is doing to me.

Not that it helps in any way, but what you describe should be intel team/fleet. But I don't what it does, I think stealth and flanking boni. But yes, my point - a purple circle or sone orange arrow pointing down on my ship doesn't tell me the least bit of information. If soneone heals me with HE I get a beam between ships, that is fine. The effect of TSS tells me I get shield power, also fine. Aux to SiF the integrity field shows, at least gibing a hint sonething happens with your hull armour. But those swirly lines, arrows that point to nothing, those glowy dots... No idea.

And on the other hand, some abilities that could use a visual don't have one.
    For instance, the Altamid set bonus grants you +100% firing haste for several seconds. You'd think a significant boost like that would be worthy of a "wow, your weapons are on fire!" VFX, especially since it'd be short, on a 2min cooldown, and focused on your weapon "origin points", but nope, nothing.

I guess devs think some people prefer to hear a loud "BWONG" every few seconds without stopping from other players' pets without you knowing what this is.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    I remember making a post about this a couple years ago with a screen shot of my ship. You could literally only see the tips of my warp engines sticking out of a giant rainbow ball. Obviously not a priority to do anything about it. Sad since some of the ship models are super nice.
    Tza0PEl.png
    garaffe wrote: »

I completely agree, and I am one of those players. However, I think the blinding, flashing, screen-encompassing, headache-inducing visual effects should be addressed first, and then there can be a second option to hide the closer to home visuals like sci/eng/tac teams, etc.

Of course. The most serious offenders should always be addressed first. Just saying that, eventually, I want to see an option to disable all visual effects from traits and abilities.

Of course. The most serious offenders should always be addressed first. Just saying that, eventually, I want to see an option to disable all visual effects from traits and abilities.

Yup, exactly this. Sadly, I'll probably die before they actually do something about it.
  • banditse1977#1368 banditse1977 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    Was reading through the notes for the latest Ten Forward Weekly with VFX artist Chris Menard here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/m7hs9l/ten_forward_weekly_17032021_vfx_artist_chris/

and came across this part:

"As the one who actually makes the effects, Chris is aware that every time the power he's making right now would be running alongside with "97 other" and the result would be seizure-inducing glowy mess, but hes bossed just see shiny and want it to be shinier."

So doesn't look like anything is going to be done anytime soon!

Was reading through the notes for the latest Ten Forward Weekly with VFX artist Chris Menard here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/m7hs9l/ten_forward_weekly_17032021_vfx_artist_chris/

"As the one who actually makes the effects, Chris is aware that every time the power he's making right now would be running alongside with "97 other" and the result would be seizure-inducing glowy mess, but hes bossed just see shiny and want it to be shinier."

And this is the sad fact of the matter. People are more likely to pay large amounts of money for a new ship if it comes with some big flashy effect of one kind or another, and the folks making decisions at Cryptic know this. Those same players may later on complain that all the electrified, spore-infused, giant glowing red grav wells combined with other effects are ruining the game, all the while forgetting that their giant red, electrified grav well is one of them.

My best advice, if you are complaining about the visual spam, stop using the traits/abilities that cause this spam. I stopped using my plasma storm because it was too much, and I never used beacon of Khaless or the risan vortex console because they are too much. I still use grav well, but I do not slot the electrified or spore infused anomalies traits because they are too much. If I am going to sit here and complain about the problem, I sure as hell am not going to contribute to the problem.
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    They could have had a win-win with an options toggle, but excuse me while I continue supporting other gaming companies who actually value all aspects of their gameplay and player base.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
    valoreah wrote: »

Since most all abilities have some degree of visual vomit, your advice is to essentially stop playing the game.

Sadly, I hardly play anymore. Just too much for my taste. If they add the on/off switch on the visual effects I will gladly return. Till then, I can play other games and hope.

• banditse1977#1368 banditse1977 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    garaffe wrote: »

And this is the sad fact of the matter. People are more likely to pay large amounts of money for a new ship if it comes with some big flashy effect of one kind or another, and the folks making decisions at Cryptic know this. Those same players may later on complain that all the electrified, spore-infused, giant glowing red grav wells combined with other effects are ruining the game, all the while forgetting that their giant red, electrified grav well is one of them.

My best advice, if you are complaining about the visual spam, stop using the traits/abilities that cause this spam. I stopped using my plasma storm because it was too much, and I never used beacon of Khaless or the risan vortex console because they are too much. I still use grav well, but I do not slot the electrified or spore infused anomalies traits because they are too much. If I am going to sit here and complain about the problem, I sure as hell am not going to contribute to the problem.

Good point about not contributing to the problem.

Think the only big effect I would have access to at the moment is last years one with the Risa even ship,and I haven't played that yet.When I do get around to it I will just remove that console.

I use the grav well and a couple of other small boff ones as well,they don't blind me or the other players when in use!
This discussion has been closed.