test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Which Melee Weapons Have a "Closing/Lunge" Attack?

millefune#8468 millefune Member Posts: 310 Arc User
I'm playing through and getting the melee achievements from the Klingon Recruit table, I really don't like how the Bat'leth of Sto'Vo'Kor and Flame Sword freeze the character in place while they wind up and swing... only to have the enemy take a few steps back and not get hit. I know the Dual Nanopulse Mek'leths have a "closing/cunge" attack when you use the third option, and also allow you to move while swinging them around. I don't want to have to replay Khitomer Discord every few levels to get a higher Mk. version, and would like to try something new.

So are there any other weapons available that have a closing/lunging attack, and/or allow you to move while using them, that I can search for? I checked the wiki, but it doesn't even mention the closing/lunging property (or that you can use them while moving) of the Dual Nanopulse Mek'leths or any other weapons.

Comments

• Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    Most "sword" type weapons(tegolar swords, falchions, others that share the animation set) have a lunge. They're not as fast/deadly as the dual nano mek'leths in shooter mode, but they're not as cumbersome as batleths and are capable of closing the distance. I used to run a Tegolar Sword on one of my 'dark elves' for a long time before finally swapping them to an Assassin Blade(which has a handy ranged attack instead of a knockdown) - it served me very well over the years.
  • Options
    I'm playing on a PlayStation, and don't know how to use a sword's lunge attack. I've tried the primary, secondary, and tertiary attacks, and none of them lunge me forward. Is it a certain combination that I haven't figured out, or is it something to do with the "mode" I'm in? If it's a mode thing, I guess I'm out of luck, since we don't have the option to switch modes on PlayStation. It's always in "shooter mode," from what I can tell.
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    Ohh.. I have no idea about the console experience, sorry.
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    All melee weapons have a lunge, as far as I know. The problem is it is automatic and doesn't work for the enemy backing away from you, it works for that enemy that is further out of reach. There is basically a dead zone where you are too close for the auto-lunge, but too far to actually hit an enemy.

Just guessing on the numbers, but melee attacks may reach about 2m, but the lunge won't happen till 4m.

Whether its different on console I have no idea.
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    A couple things that ended up being key on PC when figuring out melee for our 2255 KDF recruits were targeting and drawing threat.

Am pretty sure the auto-lunge range for the recruit Bat'leth was increased to about 12.5 meters after some discussion and feedback.
  • Options
    Okay, I guess it's a handicap for playing on a game console then. I've stood between four and twelve meters away and tried the primary, secondary, and tertiary attacks with the Bat'leth, a "Falchion," and Flame Sword. The Flame Sword has a chain pull, but nothing for the Bat'leth or Falchion. I just stand where I am, and do the attacks. No movement or lunging. Guess I'll have to stick to the dual Mek'leths... which have an animation bug that makes them kill things way too fast and looks goofy. *Sigh.* Thanks to all for taking the time to reply, though. ^_^
  • Options
    telbasta7386telbasta7386 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    edited March 2021
    The best solution ive found is to get yourself the "personal spatial trajector" universal kit module. It has up to 3 charges at a time, only about a 1.5 second cooldown, and teleports you a few meters forward or to your target if its within the teleport range. Works wonders for melee builds since you never have to clumsily run around, you can just teleport constantly.

Also, for the melee kills find that new Klingon episode mission where you go to nimbus looking for a hacker. In the later part of the mission, madran is in a forcefield you have to shut down by using 3 consoles. By each console there will be packs of melee enemies (mugato, scorpions, or hounds) that will continually respawn until you shut the console down. If you ignore the console you can sit there farming melee kills endlessly.
  • Options
    If it's a mode thing, I guess I'm out of luck, since we don't have the option to switch modes on PlayStation. It's always in "shooter mode," from what I can tell.
    I'm wondering how shooter mode players on PC did with the Bat'leth? There was some talk, at least at first, about using the Bat'leth not being reasonable possible.
    Guess I'll have to stick to the dual Mek'leths...
    This is a weapon a fair number of people seemed to gravitate to during the PC event. Personal esthetics aside, with even advanced level bosses going down quickly the dual Mek'leths seem effective and one way to get your melee count up easily.
    Okay, I guess it's a handicap for playing on a game console then. I've stood between four and twelve meters away and tried the primary, secondary, and tertiary attacks with the Bat'leth, a "Falchion," and Flame Sword. The Flame Sword has a chain pull, but nothing for the Bat'leth or Falchion. I just stand where I am, and do the attacks. No movement or lunging. Guess I'll have to stick to the dual Mek'leths... which have an animation bug that makes them kill things way too fast and looks goofy. *Sigh.* Thanks to all for taking the time to reply, though. ^_^
    When you just stand where you are and do the attacks do you have a target or threat? What is your away team doing? How could it be that traditional melee weapons are simply unusable on console?
  • Options
    protoneous wrote: »
    When you just stand where you are and do the attacks do you have a target or threat? What is your away team doing? How could it be that traditional melee weapons are simply unusable on console?
    I do have the enemies targeted, and I am in combat (if that's what you mean by threat). My away team is also fighting, but they have ranged weapons. I would like to know the same, because the experience with bat'leths, staves, and swords is horrible. :-(

https://youtu.be/owvmu_3hKC0

• Options
    I do have the enemies targeted, and I am in combat (if that's what you mean by threat). My away team is also fighting, but they have ranged weapons. I would like to know the same, because the experience with bat'leths, staves, and swords is horrible. :-(
    That's cool of you to make a video. I went and took a variety of melee weapons including the recruit event Bat'leth for a test drive in Shooter Mode on PC.

Here's a couple things to try though - turn your away team to passive if that's possible on console. A ranged weapon that multi-targets is going to wreck a melee fight. Give them supporting abilities. If this is not possible give them cheap level appropriate common melee weapons from an equipment vendor (or just disarm them) but still ensure they don't have any AoE abilities. Even things like hyperonic radiation are bad, while other single target abilities like lunge, battle strategies, shield recharge, weapons malfunction and science hypo sprays and heals seem to be fine.

At the very start of the video you definitely had threat, meaning that the bad guys were focused on you which is great as targeting is a two way street. Shortly after your away team stepped in you lost threat and the bad guys switched to targeting them. They promptly a annihilated everything. This makes testing things and melee warfare a lot tougher.

My experience using the recruit Bat'leth in shooter mode wasn't like yours. As long as I had a target within range and in my reticle the auto-close mechanism would work. What I did experience was a mode of combat that was a fair bit slower than the dual Mek'leths with some occasional hesitation in closing and/or animation that might be related to my ping or the network. No enemy ever backed away.

Here's hoping you can do one more test with your away team operating in a more restrained manner.
  • Options
    Here's hoping you can do one more test with your away team operating in a more restrained manner.

I just removed the Away Team from the equation. ^_^

https://youtu.be/c4YqnjNeX3U

So the next mission in that episode arc is just the Player Captain, which made it easy to try again without any Away Team interference. Still nothing, though. Tried all the attacks, tried all the attacks with the "aim" button pressed. In the end, I switched to the Dual Mek'leths to show that weapon's "dash/close" attack. But you already know those also just let us move and chase as we see fit while swinging.

I guess I'm stuck with the dual Mek'leths... which have an animation bug that makes using them look goofy. The Furidan Fangs are like the dual mek'leths, but bugged(?) in that their "quick attack" has a two second cooldown... so they're super slow to use. It's a little upsetting not having the same opportunities as y'all on PC, but I'll just have to be a big girl and suck it up. Thank you for the time you've taken on helping me test things to see if I'm just missing something in the controls, though! ^_^