test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Using multiple account

weybenweyben Member Posts: 19 Arc User
Hi there. I would like to know if is forbidden use multiple accounts. I make this question because would need that for test different weapons in a pvp map me vs me using 2nd account and let him hit for check the damages.

Comments

  • foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,128 Arc User
    weyben wrote: »
    Hi there. I would like to know if is forbidden use multiple accounts. I make this question because would need that for test different weapons in a pvp map me vs me using 2nd account and let him hit for check the damages.

    Or you could simply ask someone in the community or PvP group to assist with your tests. Alot of helpful friendly players out there.

    kXx65VK.jpg
  • weybenweyben Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    Thats nice to know but i suppose that ppl have not so much time to assist me for long time :)
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 1,901 Arc User
    Two accounts has generally been accepted as ok - people with Suliban Cell ships have 2 accounts up whenever it's in use, with the cel ship account giving bridge invites to others as well as the owner's main account for the special doff missions found on board.
    gad9vMA.jpg
  • reyan01reyan01 Member Posts: 14,467 Arc User
    weyben wrote: »
    Hi there. I would like to know if is forbidden use multiple accounts. I make this question because would need that for test different weapons in a pvp map me vs me using 2nd account and let him hit for check the damages.
    I'd presume not to be honest.

    I mean, I know of one player whose main account was permabanned due to him being a complete tool in Ker'rat (rage quitting/refusing to accept defeat and being generally abusive in his responses to anyone saying otherwise, resulting in numerous reports and the aforementioned permaban).

    Subsequent to his main account being permabanned he simply made a new account and, having learnt nothing, started the same behaviour all over again. And I understand he has been reported again - but in this case I doubt it'll change much since he knows he can simply make a new account if he gets hit with a permaban. He appears on Risa with some frequency and is known to boast about it (real player name removed to avoid the 'name and shame' scenario):

    [Local][email protected] banned:but warned em no more wrongful bans

    [Local][email protected] banned:or legal action to ensue


    Therefore, since Cryptic clearly took no issue with this, under those circumstances, I can only assume that it isn't forbidden.


  • weybenweyben Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    foxman00 wrote: »
    weyben wrote: »
    Hi there. I would like to know if is forbidden use multiple accounts. I make this question because would need that for test different weapons in a pvp map me vs me using 2nd account and let him hit for check the damages.

    Or you could simply ask someone in the community or PvP group to assist with your tests. Alot of helpful friendly players out there.

    Senza-titolo-2.jpg

    I done this for you if your alliance like it. I am available for all that need some graphic images :)

  • weybenweyben Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    weyben wrote: »
    Hi there. I would like to know if is forbidden use multiple accounts. I make this question because would need that for test different weapons in a pvp map me vs me using 2nd account and let him hit for check the damages.
    I'd presume not to be honest.

    I mean, I know of one player whose main account was permabanned due to him being a complete tool in Ker'rat (rage quitting/refusing to accept defeat and being generally abusive in his responses to anyone saying otherwise, resulting in numerous reports and the aforementioned permaban).

    Subsequent to his main account being permabanned he simply made a new account and, having learnt nothing, started the same behaviour all over again. And I understand he has been reported again - but in this case I doubt it'll change much since he knows he can simply make a new account if he gets hit with a permaban. He appears on Risa with some frequency and is known to boast about it (real player name removed to avoid the 'name and shame' scenario):

    [Local][email protected] banned:but warned em no more wrongful bans

    [Local][email protected] banned:or legal action to ensue


    Therefore, since Cryptic clearly took no issue with this, under those circumstances, I can only assume that it isn't forbidden.

    In that case is right ban but i think if i do some pvp where i am alone and not on public, i think no one know what i am doing and i not damage no one with my private tests so why i should be reported :) ? But before do it, i would like to have also a staff opinion about that
  • weybenweyben Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    I think that if i am alone in private map and not on public map, i could do it. Why i should be reported if i do some private tests in private ? Maybe before do it, i would like to receive a staff opinion too about that :)
  • tagentagen Member Posts: 400 Arc User
    edited March 4
    I have seen plenty of people who have a 2nd account with no issues.

    That said, it may also depend on how you use the accounts. For instance, you say you want to test in a PvP zone against yourself. I don't play PvP, so I don't know how it all works, but if that would give you any benefit like earning competitive marks for beating your other account, I'd imagine it could be a problem.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,543 Arc User
    I have two accts. My main acct is Lifer and my alt acct is F2P.

    Reason? I like 'em both and it's interesting to play without the perks you get with Lifer. No other reason. I don't PvP and couldn't be talked into it for anything.
    Now a LTS and loving it.

    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.

    xp8s7wd.jpg
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 3,074 Arc User
    Yeah I made a second account to check some foundry bugs, granted I probably couldn't remember the password for that account as I used it just to check those bugs and never after that. So it's clearly not something that would get you banned by itself.

    Though I would say if you're trying to counter-act a ban then it's not OK.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 2,935 Arc User
    I have 3 personal accounts, with separate buys and even separate promo ships, lobi and stuff, my main is a lifer, my other 2 are F2P, as i have a personal fleet, that allowed me to advance a lot on it's development (level 4 so far), also, as my son and my nephews abandoned the game, so i have 3 additional accounts that i use, that are also well advanced, it was a waste to abandon them, so i took control... i dont do anything illegal, so i dont think there is a problem, also i buy zen from time to time on each account, for some ships i like. I just log to one at a time, do the stuff i have to do, and then change... its like using 6 chars, but on different accounts..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 9,318 Arc User
    I have a total of three accounts, initially made to test certain issues Champions Online was having for a while with brand-new players (#2 was to verify the problem existed, #3 was to check the parameters after a "fix" was issued). All of my accounts in STO are F2P (I do have one LTS in CO, so it's the account I play most because it's the one with the most slots when I come up with another weird character idea).

    Playing on multiple accounts is not forbidden; no idea about multiboxing, but I think as long as you're not using it to exploit the system, they probably won't care. However, if you're sharing the computer with others, it can get a bit wearying waiting for the proper time to do something like the current TFO daily thing on multiple accounts. (I generally get mine done in the morning when nobody else needs the system, and I've been running Breach because it's generally faster than Storming the Spire.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,243 Arc User
    2 accounts initially made for extra bank and convenience of moving stuff between so many alts, but now play the second one too for fun. It is also useful to test certain abilities against yourself to better understand how they work - very hard to find someone who wants to sit and just tank damage for specific info. Haven't heard any fleet mates having trouble with this so long as they're used normally.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,791 Arc User
    I've been very open about having 2 accounts (F2P and LTS) on PC and grouping them together for various things, although never with others so as to avoid affecting their playtime. And one of those things is to cheese the pvp endeavour when it turns up, although rarely since power creep in a game with a horizontal difficulty curve makes the whole system nonsensical.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    I have two accounts since I came back to the game in 2018.

    My old Steam group decided to switch to STO and since my original account had constant login issues I made a new one via Steam. Since then, my Steam group moved on and customer service found out what the problem was on my old account and fixed it so I have two functional accounts that I just launch through ARC without bothering to launch the new one via Steam anymore.

    I even have a few duplicate C-store ships and other things between the accounts so Cryptic makes more than if I had only one account so I doubt they would complain.
  • bughunter357bughunter357 Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    weyben wrote: »
    Hi there. I would like to know if is forbidden use multiple accounts. I make this question because would need that for test different weapons in a pvp map me vs me using 2nd account and let him hit for check the damages.
    I have done multiple accounts and not been bothered about it so you should be okay.
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 762 Arc User
    if they banned multiple accounts half the players would be gone. just read through the forums about new grinds.. the people with 10-20 alts all have more than one account.
    80d.gif
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,462 Arc User
    sto is free to play, you can have as many accounts as you like so long as you dont use a bot.
  • cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    nixie50 wrote: »
    if they banned multiple accounts half the players would be gone. just read through the forums about new grinds.. the people with 10-20 alts all have more than one account.

    Or they've spent thousands and thousands of Zen on character slots. I mean, sure a new account is free character slots, but then sharing stuff is either a right faff or outright impossible...

    I'm not sure what the limit is; I was told it was 48 for a Free to play account buying character slots or 54 for LTS. I suppose I could buy more slots and see what happens; I have 38 level 65s, 4 just started and 3 I'm doffing up to 65, and I have 8 character slots still available to use when I have new character ideas, so another four slots takes me well over 54 slots.

    Hmm... Bah, why not?

    Well, that is another thousand Zen invested in character slots, and I'm theoretically allowed 12 additional characters now, with absolutely nothing to say that there's a limit... Which means the limit for an LTS must be at least 57.

  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,543 Arc User
    edited March 5
    I have 20-21 on my LTS and I think a half dozen on my F2P.
    gaevsman wrote: »
    I have 3 personal accounts, with separate buys and even separate promo ships, lobi and stuff, my main is a lifer, my other 2 are F2P, as i have a personal fleet, that allowed me to advance a lot on it's development (level 4 so far), also, as my son and my nephews abandoned the game, so i have 3 additional accounts that i use, that are also well advanced, it was a waste to abandon them, so i took control... i dont do anything illegal, so i dont think there is a problem, also i buy zen from time to time on each account, for some ships i like. I just log to one at a time, do the stuff i have to do, and then change... its like using 6 chars, but on different accounts..

    I play on my family's accts too, when the events for free ships roll around (Summer, Winter and Anniversary). I did play the events on them for the free coupons, but since they're basically not playing anymore I've limited myself to the free ships and/or collecting giveaways for them. So during the ship events I'm playing over six accounts. I've been open about that and been told that if I didn't have permission from the others then it's frowned upon. I have permission.
    Now a LTS and loving it.

    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.

    xp8s7wd.jpg
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,407 Arc User
    nixie50 wrote: »
    if they banned multiple accounts half the players would be gone. just read through the forums about new grinds.. the people with 10-20 alts all have more than one account.

    Uhm sorta? I have more than 10 (I would have to count again) on one account. But I do have a second account that is primarily to invite my characters to my private fleet of me, myself, and I.

    Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • darpendragondarpendragon Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    I think the main points regarding multiple accounts is

    1) You can't play with multiple accounts on the same computer at the same time, ie no multi-boxing

    2) If you are playing with multiple accounts at the same time, then you have to do it on separate computers, ie one computer per account.

    Not sure if these "rules" actually applies but it is what I believe should be.
  • westmetalswestmetals Member Posts: 5,395 Arc User
    edited March 5
    feiqa wrote: »
    nixie50 wrote: »
    if they banned multiple accounts half the players would be gone. just read through the forums about new grinds.. the people with 10-20 alts all have more than one account.

    Uhm sorta? I have more than 10 (I would have to count again) on one account. But I do have a second account that is primarily to invite my characters to my private fleet of me, myself, and I.

    um you can invite yourself while not online ;) second account not needed to send fleet invites - as long as you know the character name, you can just type it into the invite box in the fleet roster screen.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 1,901 Arc User
    I couldn't find an appropriate reference in the terms of service.

    Am still able to run two accounts simultaneously on one computer. Purpose: mainly Suliban Cell Ship invites.

    My secondary account that has the ship invites characters on my main account, as well as any other fleet / channel members that would like an invite. The Cell ship has unique doffing assignments that can reward unique doffs. This arrangement is the only way to make things work and is quite common.

    The OP's question has two different contexts - having multiple accounts and using multiple accounts simultaneously.

    Perhaps the thing to keep in mind is just to not do anything that would normally get you in trouble and you should be fine.
    gad9vMA.jpg
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,462 Arc User
    edited March 7
    I think the main points regarding multiple accounts is

    1) You can't play with multiple accounts on the same computer at the same time, ie no multi-boxing

    2) If you are playing with multiple accounts at the same time, then you have to do it on separate computers, ie one computer per account.

    Not sure if these "rules" actually applies but it is what I believe should be.

    you sure that's a rule or more like limitations of pc tech ie cpu/mem/gpu?

    1 computer or 2, as long as your not using a bot or other automated software, you should be good.

  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 2,935 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »
    I think the main points regarding multiple accounts is

    1) You can't play with multiple accounts on the same computer at the same time, ie no multi-boxing

    2) If you are playing with multiple accounts at the same time, then you have to do it on separate computers, ie one computer per account.

    Not sure if these "rules" actually applies but it is what I believe should be.

    you sure that's a rule or more like limitations of pc tech ie cpu/mem/gpu?

    1 computer or 2, as long as your not using a bot or other automated software, you should be good.

    I think it's just bots the problem.. i sometimes open 3 instances of the game for admiralty, reps and stuff like fleet donation, on my different accounts, its faster than open one at a time..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • darpendragondarpendragon Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »
    I think the main points regarding multiple accounts is

    1) You can't play with multiple accounts on the same computer at the same time, ie no multi-boxing

    2) If you are playing with multiple accounts at the same time, then you have to do it on separate computers, ie one computer per account.

    Not sure if these "rules" actually applies but it is what I believe should be.

    you sure that's a rule or more like limitations of pc tech ie cpu/mem/gpu?

    1 computer or 2, as long as your not using a bot or other automated software, you should be good.

    Not sure if it is a rule, that's why I put it in quotes.

    But number 1might be in the Terms of Service. Not sure if it is, haven't really read it all the way trough, but generally it is written there in most MMOs.

    Number 2 would be a way for multiple people playing from the same house hold on different accounts on different computers as a way so they won't be banned.

    Again, haven't completely read the TOS so not sure if either is written there. Just my interpretations on how many MMOs do it, but it is not cut and dry.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,791 Arc User
    It'd be hilarious to watch the carnage that came from any game company deciding that their game could only be played by a single person within a household at any given time.

    As prone as they are to idiotic decisions (such as the f-in loot roll spam they decided to inflict on us last patch) not even cryptic would be that stupid.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,462 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »
    I think the main points regarding multiple accounts is

    1) You can't play with multiple accounts on the same computer at the same time, ie no multi-boxing

    2) If you are playing with multiple accounts at the same time, then you have to do it on separate computers, ie one computer per account.

    Not sure if these "rules" actually applies but it is what I believe should be.

    you sure that's a rule or more like limitations of pc tech ie cpu/mem/gpu?

    1 computer or 2, as long as your not using a bot or other automated software, you should be good.

    Not sure if it is a rule, that's why I put it in quotes.

    But number 1might be in the Terms of Service. Not sure if it is, haven't really read it all the way trough, but generally it is written there in most MMOs.

    Number 2 would be a way for multiple people playing from the same house hold on different accounts on different computers as a way so they won't be banned.

    Again, haven't completely read the TOS so not sure if either is written there. Just my interpretations on how many MMOs do it, but it is not cut and dry.

    maybe back in the day when you had to buy the game to play, this was once a monthly sub game... once they went free to play that rule probably went poof.
Sign In or Register to comment.