test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

'Command any ship' - kind of inclined to call this a lie

mattingly1mattingly1 Member Posts: 206 Arc User
Apparently a fair number of the lockbox vessels that were bound to races were unlocked, but not all of them because... reasons?

Xfp7GwM.png

Look, it's their game and they can run it how they want. But considering how long I've been waiting for the Atlas to become unlocked for my Fed-aligned Romulan (and I seriously doubt I'm the only person in this boat), I'm more than a little... upset. All they had to do was say 'All ships unlocked*' and then [*list the ones that actually weren't going to be unlocked]; all they had to say was 'most ships unlocked.' But to just arbitrarily claim 'all,' and then leave some faction/race bound, is downright offensive. Making random exceptions like that is just... wrong.

I want to also add that, as a Romulan, I'm already a friggin' sub-race as far as the game is concerned. I'm treated like a member of the Federation through-and-through; every once in a while, the story will toss a little bone my way with some nod to my race, but 99 percent of the time I am a Starfleet captain (and if I had chosen KDF, I'd be a Klingon captain). So to have the client continue to block me from Federation or KDF ships - even after this huge overhaul - based on my race as almost like a double kick in the shins. You force me to be Fed or Klingon; you subvert what was an interesting Romulan-focused story to these two larger arcs, and then I'm not allowed to captain all the ships of that faction? Stupid.

I am an unhappy customer right now, and I am voicing my displeasure (and it won't be noticed, because they don't check these forums or respond to complaints. But whatever).
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• mattingly1mattingly1 Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    Oh, and just to add a little salt to the wound, here's another random exclusion. Yay... !

tjkjUJD.png
  • kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    Do you have a level 65 KDF? If not, did you buy the cross faction unlock? It's also possible they overlooked some of the lock boxes themselves when they manually changed each ship. Looking up the Atlas box on it's own does show it's available to me (KDF).
  • jivedutchjivedutch Member Posts: 357 Arc User
    This one is a good example of on working, and one not ..

The "[Special Requisition Pack - Temporal Destroyer [T6]]" properly presents the option to select between the Fed/Kdf/Rom version
    The "[Special Requisition Pack - Temporal Science Vessel [T6]]" only presents the current faction ship.

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited January 2021
    If the Romulus can’t fly the Atlas then that’s a huge problem since they removed the cross faction pack to get the Dynamic Power Redistributor meaning that item is now completely unavailable to Romulans.

This has to be a bug.
    Insert witty signature line here.
    If the Romulus can’t fly the Atlas then that’s a huge problem since they removed the cross faction pack to get the Dynamic Power Redistributor meaning that item is now completely unavailable to Romulans.

This has to be a bug.

The problem is, I can't open it to find out one way or the other - I'm not so rich that I can just throw 1 billion out the window in the hope that the flavor text is incorrect.

If you know anyone who is thinking about cracking one of these things open, I'd love - love - to be proven wrong on this. It's just that, right this moment, the flavor text is telling me that I should not take that risk.
    Do you have a level 65 KDF? If not, did you buy the cross faction unlock? It's also possible they overlooked some of the lock boxes themselves when they manually changed each ship. Looking up the Atlas box on it's own does show it's available to me (KDF).

I paid the 10 bucks and bought the unlock. So no, it isn't that :(.
    edited January 2021
    Oh, and I felt I should mention: like many box ships in the game, the Atlas can be rewarded from two different variants of loot crate. This is the alternative version - ladies and gentlemen, the Box of Mystery:

7cmESen.png

So, no warnings; no clarifications. Just open box, get ship. What ship? Who knows!
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11240193-command-a-romulan-ship-on-any-captain!

This would seem to indicate it's not a bug. So... the console is now Fed-exclusive? Is that... right?
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    Well, you could probably copy it over to Tribble and see what happens when you open it. I know I got bit by the ambiguity last year on my birthday because I opened a cross-faction pack expecting to get a transferable pack for a specific ship(which is an actual item), but instead I got the ship directly claimed on a character I didn't want it on.
    szerontzur wrote: »
    Well, you could probably copy it over to Tribble and see what happens when you open it. I know I got bit by the ambiguity last year on my birthday because I opened a cross-faction pack expecting to get a transferable pack for a specific ship(which is an actual item), but instead I got the ship directly claimed on a character I didn't want it on.

It's Thrai-only on Tribble. Sigh. What the ever-loving TRIBBLE, Crpytic? How is anyone non-Fed supposed to get the console now?
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    mattingly1 wrote: »
    'Command any ship' - kind of inclined to call this a lie

Actually its a cry for help. It shows that they are unwilling/unable to expand on other things for steady income than ships on STO and this was pretty much the last thing they could do I imagine to get a good deal of money one more time.

I wish you best of luck with you box; chances for a quick fix are good since all that is freshly released.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    I'm inclined to believe this is a massive oversight. Obviously it needs fixed. You can't have faction locked ships if they have unique consoles, nor does it make sense to have ships like the Verne remain faction locked if everything else is not.
    I'm inclined to believe this is a massive oversight. Obviously it needs fixed. You can't have faction locked ships if they have unique consoles, nor does it make sense to have ships like the Verne remain faction locked if everything else is not.

The Verne isn't, though. That pack did get unlocked. Just not other packs like the Atlas/D9/Thrai and the Connie/D7 (I am sure there are others).
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Bad news it seems:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/l62xvl/is_the_atlas_now_cross_faction/
    Just copied my character to Tribble, and for Romulans, the box is Thrai-only. So, that leads me to believe that the Atlas is NOT x-faction, and that non-Feddies simply cannot acquire the Dynamic Power Redistributor Module.

Neat. Really... really neat.

I've got a Vengeance that I wanted to unlock on an Engi, but saved it instead seeing how GIMPED Sci & Engi careers are - long cool-down defensive abilities with caps on all dmg res, while Tacs have unlimited DPS potential and therefore steady self-healing from damage out, been thinking of unlocking it on a Rom or KDF Tac instead, just not sure it is possible to do this.

Also wonder if fleet facilities have been updated to be able to acquire cross-faction items like fleet ships, fighter pets. The Titan on 'accidental' KDF release did not have a fleet variant on KDF, and we brushed it off as it wasn't meant to, but clearly now it's no longer accidental.

Really strange how they don't even list this and likely many more examples as a Known Issue, seeing how important it is.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿

The Verne isn't, though. That pack did get unlocked. Just not other packs like the Atlas/D9/Thrai and the Connie/D7 (I am sure there are others).

Well that's strange because I tried to open a fresh box from MUDD's store on one of my KDF characters and only had the one option which was the KDF version.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    What's the fastest way to level? My old klink is still 56 cause I never play her, patrols seem to take 2-3 runs per level
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    What's the fastest way to level? My old klink is still 56 cause I never play her, patrols seem to take 2-3 runs per level

Do admiralty every day, especially the Fed campaign. Shouldn't take longer than a week if you do it right. Also throw in a few random STFs and farm quick marks in the BZs for the reps.
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    a single green phoenix coupon will get you a fat XP boost

Well that's strange because I tried to open a fresh box from MUDD's store on one of my KDF characters and only had the one option which was the KDF version.

That's bizarre. I could have sworn they changed the flavor text for the Verne's box.

• chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    In Cryptic's defense, this was a very complicated change, and it's inevitable that there will be some wrinkles. I am confident that they will sort it all out soon.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    The change is supposed to be that your captain can fly any ship from any faction. It doesn't say anything in there about being awarded any ship from any faction.

I'm inclined to call your calling this a "lie" an exaggeration.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    The change is supposed to be that your captain can fly any ship from any faction. It doesn't say anything in there about being awarded any ship from any faction.

Kael said on Reddit that faction packs like this would give you the choice of ship once the command any ship feature was unlocked.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png

First of all, they said all ships - that's what they've been selling this as. In my case, it's what I paid (by forking over the $10) for. If it wasn't going to be 'all ships,' then they should have said 'some ships.'

Second, by limiting the Atlas and its precious console to a single faction, and then removing the means by which other factions acquire said console, they've really hurt progression for a significant portion of the playerbase that isn't playing Fed.

Finally, there's no reason behind NOT making this change, especially when they have demonstrated the capacity to do it for some ships:

Kvp4UaX.png

That's the Verne crate - the underline is courtesy of me. So it's very clear that they did revisit some lockboxes, and made a choice not to do others. Some Romulans I know have been waiting years to pilot a T6 D7 cruiser - they, too, were denied the opportunity by this arbitrary choice by the team to restrict choice in what was supposed to be a bonanza of selection opportunities.

I'm fine with defending Cryptic when it comes to some policies, but this isn't one of them. This was a mistake and, frankly, an insult. Words have meaning. If you don't want to do "every ship," then don't advertise it that way. And certainly don't lock the most powerful console in the game behind a vessel that nobody but Federation players can now get. So, yes, I will stick by 'lie,' until someone from this company actually deigns to tip toe down from that lofty tower and inform us that, whoops, it was all just a big mistake.

But I don't think it was a mistake.
    edited January 2021

First of all, they said all ships - that's what they've been selling this as. In my case, it's what I paid (by forking over the $10) for. If it wasn't going to be 'all ships,' then they should have said 'some ships.'

Second, by limiting the Atlas and its precious console to a single faction, and then removing the means by which other factions acquire said console, they've really hurt progression for a significant portion of the playerbase that isn't playing Fed.

Finally, there's no logical reason for not making this change, especially when they have demonstrated the capacity to do it for some ships:

Kvp4UaX.png

That's the Verne crate - the underline is courtesy of me. So it's very clear that they did revisit some lockboxes, and made a choice not to do others. Some Romulans I know have been waiting years to pilot a T6 D7 cruiser - they, too, were denied the opportunity by this arbitrary decision by the team to restrict choice in what was supposed to be a bonanza of selection opportunities.

I'm fine with defending Cryptic when it comes to some policies, but this isn't one of them. This was a mistake and, frankly, an insult. Words have meaning. If you don't want to do "every ship," then don't advertise it that way. And certainly don't lock the most powerful console in the game behind a vessel that nobody but Federation players can now get. So, yes, I will stick by 'lie,' until someone from this company actually deigns to tip toe down from that lofty tower and inform us that, whoops, it was all just a big mistake.

But I don't think it was a mistake.
    edited January 2021

That's absurd. How does a Klingon fly a Verne or Atlas or Universe if they can't actually get one from a box? Its two parts of the same thing. It's like saying people can have a gun but not ammo, a car but no fuel, a cell phone without a tower.

Now, I'm not inclined to believe they lied, only that they screwed it up, because it is a different mechanism for the faction specific ships versus the others.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    Bear in mind, a "lie" is when someone says something they KNOW is not true. It's entirely possible the person who wrote that blog knows very little about how the game actually works and thought what they were saying was true.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User

That's word play, and no advertisement would stand up to this if challenged legally, short of an obvious star and fine print where necessary for simplicity, but not deception, as that gives the entire brand a bad name.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
    edited January 2021
    Bear in mind, a "lie" is when someone says something they KNOW is not true. It's entirely possible the person who wrote that blog knows very little about how the game actually works and thought what they were saying was true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XprI4UWpbMw&t=1m19s

"A lie?"

"A choice."

I'll be the first - the first - to admit I was wrong if they correct this. I don't care about ego - I care that the game is made as good as it can be.

Unrelated, but Kim Cattrall was the hottest woman on the planet in 1991.
This discussion has been closed.