test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Extreme drop of FPS !

xvladanxxvladanx Member Posts: 4 Arc User
edited January 2021 in Graphical and Sound Issues
whenever science player use his skill on space map I lose fps !!! (like gravity well example)
I recently reinstalled win 10 and started playing normally and had no issues and at some point on "star base one" map fps started to disappear.
WHY??? Fps oscillate a lot depending on which map I am.
Anyone had this issue?
https://imgur.com/a/VzkUBfF

Comments

• Options
    kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    Well you can't really compare a loading screen where pretty much nothing is happening to Dranuur where a whole lot is happening. Not knowing what your system specs are or what your graphics level are makes it hard to determine what's going on, but if I had to make a guess the .77fps would suggest your system is over whelmed. Check to see what your Visual Fx quality is and if it's on High try lowering it down.
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    xvladanx wrote: »
    whenever science player use his skill on space map I lose fps !!! (like gravity well example)
    I recently reinstalled win 10 and started playing normally and had no issues and at some point on "star base one" map fps started to disappear.
    WHY??? Fps oscillate a lot depending on which map I am.
    Anyone had this issue?
    https://imgur.com/a/VzkUBfF
    I have this issue as well. Yes, over time there has been other threads on this.

FPS does vary from map to map. Some maps seem to increase the load on your PC but it's usually based on what's going on. There are certain things or combination of things including abilities that do the same.

If your fps is dropping too low on some maps one option is to try reducing your fx quality (as per the above advice) but also mouseover some of the other related graphics settings as many have helpful labels with advice on how they could affect performance so you can tweak the settings to get the game running best on your PC.

Turning off damage floaters for others has also been suggested.

I'm not so sure it's gravity well or science abilities as currently I would be "that guy" often on "that map". I'd hate to think I was causing my own fps drop... :neutral:

In my own case I found the issue was a limitation of my own machine, a 3 year old laptop with modern discrete graphics, and not the game.

Aside from the standard advice about checking available ram, for other programs open or borrowing your main graphics card without asking and how's your drive doing, there's also checking cooling and temps, power, cpu & gpu clocks, and the age of your machine (time since your last re-paste).

I downloaded Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and found this periodic increased graphics load the game was throwing at me was power limit throttling my own machine causing the game to stall.

One thing that's laptop specific is that if there's a loose wire in your power brick or cord or an issue with a loose power jack this will cause throttling. I found the error message logged in my bios and corrected the power issue.

Another issue is time since last re-paste. Gaming is hard on things temperature wise. Factory paste jobs can really suck. They can last as little as 3 years. I think mine lasted 2.5 A re-paste combined with the above virtually eliminated throttling for me which in turn increased my FPS and significantly decreased game stalls to the point where they're no longer a regular concern running at maximum graphics settings.

As an aside, the ISA/E map does seem to have a higher potential for a stall.

From my perspective it's my machine and can be alleviated by doing / checking all of the above.

From another player very familiar with the map and running a finely tuned and up to date gaming desktop on a fast connection there is a short blip where perhaps things can't happen any faster.

Until I'm running a machine like his it really paid off to check things at my end before blaming my own science toons.

You don't need a machine like his to play STO but your Fx settings may have to be adjusted accordingly.