test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Up to date system requirements ???....

vamankvamank Member Posts: 366 Arc User
Since there have been many updates to STOs graphics and such is there any place to find CURRENT System requirements?
Thanks!
Admiral%20sig%202.png
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    The only real changes to the system requirements came in the form of the Operating System and Video Card Optimization.

As of 2017, the game no longer supports Windows XP and Direct3D 9, or Video Cards with a Direct3D Hardware Feature Level less than 10.0.

This means you should be running Windows Vista Service Pack 2 or later. Windows 10 is the recommended OS. For Graphics Cards, anything with Direct3D Feature Level 11.0 or better. This would be the NVidia GeForce GTX 400 or better, ATI/AMD Radeon HD 5000 or better, or Intel HD Graphics 4000 or better.

As far as I know, CPU requirements have not changed. CPU's always age much better then GPU's, but obviously the newer your CPU the better. Mac OS and Linux are not officially supported.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    sunsunkunsunsunkun Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    Well, get a nVidia RTX 3090 or AMD RX 6800XT, just in case...
  • Options
    sunsunkun wrote: »
    Well, get a nVidia RTX 3090 or AMD RX 6800XT, just in case...

Good luck finding one in stock. :lol:
  • Options
    foppotee#4552 foppotee Member Posts: 1,704 Arc User
    I know Cryptic has bene going back & adding new "better" paint-jobs to ships but does STO even have the high enough fidelity to merit the new vid-cards?
  • Options
    I know Cryptic has bene going back & adding new "better" paint-jobs to ships but does STO even have the high enough fidelity to merit the new vid-cards?

No, there is no reason to go for an Nvidia Ampere or AMD Big Navi just for Star Trek Online. You can max the game out and get good frame rates with a mid tier card. I am going to be in the market for an Ampere once they become readily available, but it's definitely not for STO. I have a 1080 Ti right now and it hardly spins up playing STO.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,529 Arc User

No, there is no reason to go for an Nvidia Ampere or AMD Big Navi just for Star Trek Online. You can max the game out and get good frame rates with a mid tier card. I am going to be in the market for an Ampere once they become readily available, but it's definitely not for STO. I have a 1080 Ti right now and it hardly spins up playing STO.

I have an Nvidia 1060 and even that handles the game just fine unless there are four or five console-spawned plasma storms on the map on top of the usual mass waves of mobs. Of course, I have a creaky old 1366x768 monitor so that may not hold true when driving a better screen resolution.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,267 Arc User
    I can run STO easily on my PC and it's midrange at best, in fact I can run other programs in backround, without my fans showing indication of great load on the system.
  • Options
    sunsunkunsunsunkun Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited December 2020

Wait for the Lighting 3.0...

• Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,487 Arc User
    edited December 2020
    I would rather have Lighting 2.0 updated again to work better especially on DS9 and for lower-grade computers.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
This discussion has been closed.