test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Old chat messages keep disappearing. a new "feature"?

mellenyesmellenyes Member Posts: 6 Arc User
edited August 2020 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
Hi, dunno if I'm posting in the right thread,
So, a few days ago I spotted that old, top-most (300th or so (edit: 500th, just counted) ) messages disappear (get deleted) from the chat window.
Before that, they remained and I could read ALL of them from the time I logged on. I could read the sometimes pretty interesting conversations at the very pace I wanted to. Now I'm having a hard time reading all of them before they disappear...
And, it was possible to "pause" the flow of messages by scrolling upwards a little bit. Now it's not.

Is this a bug (it better be), or another so-called "feature"??
God it's annoying.

The "<friend>logged in/out" type of messages are excluded from this phenomenon.
Post edited by mellenyes on

Comments

• Options
    inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,091 Arc User
    I don't think this is a new change or a bug. I certainly recall that I've scrolled up the chat window to find really old stuff no longer readable ever since I started playing...
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • Options
    sgtfloydpepper#7911 sgtfloydpepper Member Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    Nope, always been that way. Messages start to clear after a certain point.
    1xe027q.png
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    They clear out faster when there's a lot of combat, as the combat messages fill the buffer, even if you don't track those messages in your current tab. It doesn't even have to be you doing the combat, either, standing within a certain range of the active combat rings in First City or Klingon Academy can fill your chat buffer quite quickly.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    (x) doubt. I play STO since 2013.
    I remember days when I could re-read HOURS of ESD zone chat. (thousands and thousands of messages). With the fleet welcome/greeting message still sitting there on top.
    I've been only experiencing this since the 2020 summer event patch.

The timeout slider in the chat settings doesn't seem to affect it.

Edit: Thx Anodynes for the input. But there is not a lot combat going on on Risa summer resort, if only dance emotes...
    Still, last year's summer event, this khm.. "feature" was not present.
    So it must be something else.
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    There has been a limit on the number of chat messages from all sources for as long as I've played, however, there is always the possibility that it has been reduced recently. Emotes on Risa could very well be a contributing factor, though, especially at the Dance Party if there are still people out there running the macro that cycles through every dance emote in order to automate that activity for farming. As a side note, that was the exact reason that I removed emotes from my chat tabs many years ago and still don't have them in there.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    Yeah, same here with the emotes excluded.
    I just cannot comprehend why would've they reduced it.... Your signature sums this whole mess up pretty damn accurately. :rage: