test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Kobayashi Maru

colonelmarikcolonelmarik Member Posts: 2,200 Arc User
So, got the ship, she's pretty cute. Looks sharp with the old TOS textures on her. Only one complaint, that interior is pretty weaksauce.

Nice enough, otherwise.
Once, I was simply called Mojo. Now, I'm forced into a new name, but don't be fooled, I'm the original STO Mojo!

This game needs detailed crafting, exploration and interaction systems.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The interior is the same as the Tuffli. No work on Cryptic's part.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Except we don't even have a WoK style bridge to begin with, so why would it have something that doesn't exist? And even if they made one specifically for the Maru, we'd then have calls to make a special bridge for the KDF version and complaints of more "Fed Bias" and "Further proof they're trying to kill off KDF Faction". (obviously I'm joking about the last one but you know how some people get rabid tribal...)
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    They don't even do new interiors for Promotion Ships like the Discovery Constitution. I don't care about excuses of 'nobody blah blah', you put out Promotion Ships at the cost to obtain them as is, they should come with an appropriate Interior.

The NX started the downward spiral on their efforts in this regard.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    spacehermitspacehermit Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    The whole "raison d'etre" of this ship is access to its interior, so it is a bit of a shame that so little thought and effort was put into the design.
  • Options
    They did put thought into it, that they would put no effort into it. ;)
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    Why complain about it... Everyone who cared to earn the ship now has access to the bank/mail/exchange anywhere and any time they are in space... There used to be a time when access to such was worth paying for, and only a select few online at any time had the ability to grant...

All the EC spent on a Tuffli or it's equivalents is now worthless...

I, for one, am grateful. I set the ship up on all my toons the afternoon I earned it just for the purpose of gaining access... Running the one Gamma mission on all toons now means I can access the bank/mail/exchange anywhere... Ground or space...

Be thankful... Gratitude... Bring it back...

:wink:
    CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    We all got insta-access to mail/bank/exchange when they gave the Nandi away during that Summer Event. Plus it has a dabo table, so you can do your dabo endeavor there, unless it's the global one for Quark's.

Still, it's nice to have another ship to gain that access with too.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    When slotting the 'Holodeck Performance of Hamlet' on your Maru remember,

'I'll have grounds
    More relative than this—the Quartermaster's the thing
    Wherein I'll catch the conscience of the King.'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    A console that pops out those buff globes might have been thematic and useful.
    you can use the device version of it for that. But being able to double up might be fun.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    sevexparsevexpar Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    The important thing for me is that I talked myself out of buying Zen to buy out the event. I would have been very steamed to pay real money for the Maru and find myself with the crappy interior I have on the Tuffli. I seriously expected a freighter with a starfleet interior.
    Also: What are those 'buff globes'? I see them floating around sometimes and have no idea how they're made?

Thx!
  • Options
    They're from the last event before this one. You got a Kobyashi Maru that goes in your device slot. You can call it up and it follows you and/or teammates around and spits buffs at you for a specified time.

You also got a Maru you can call up in Sector Space that gives you access to bank/mail/exchange.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    sevexparsevexpar Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    Wow. Cool! Sorry I missed that one! Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    sevexpar wrote: »
    Wow. Cool! Sorry I missed that one! Thanks for the info!

You're welcome. It might show up in Mudd's eventually. To me, it's worth it. I even ran the event for family (I usually do these days) so they could get it too.

Five accts each event (two are mine, three are Son, Son in Law and Grandson). And before someone comes to tell me it's illegal, I do have their permission cause they don't have time to run events these days. Unlike me, they don't have time on their hands and I have more than enough.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • Options
    bob35tbob35t Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    On the description of the prize Kobayashi Maru, it mentions that you can "call" the ship from your present ship's bridge and access the Kobayashi Maru's interior and utilize its functions, then transfer back to your other ship without having to actually drop your ship and then activate the K.M. then reactivate your other ship again. I have the K.M. and also the calling device. But according to the prize description it appears that I should be able to transfer from my active ship to the K.M. look around, interact, and then transfer back. How do you do that?
    Thanks
  • Options
    chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    crm14916 wrote: »
    Running the one Gamma mission on all toons now means I can access the bank/mail/exchange anywhere... Ground or space...

What Gamma Mission?

• Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,646 Arc User
    edited June 2020
    I like the ship in general. A nice addition to my TOS-film style collection.

I was also surprised that it come with the Tuffli-class interior. The crafting stations were replaced as they became redundant after a crafting revamp. Which was why the Tuffli isn't common anymore. IIRC, it was already configured for multiple mission contacts.

For a generic freighter that rustic interior is perfectly fine. For the Klingon D5, the rustic style works as well. The long corridor feels like the boom between command section and the aft cargo bay. I like that it's all one continuous deck. So our Boffs can be spread spread out. Feels more lived in by the crew of my choice.

I noted the cargo pods sport windows on the bow. I choose to pretend the bridge is down there. Rather that the traditional spot atop a Starfleet-style saucer. And their own impulse engine at the aft. I suppose that makes sense. I imagine a scenario where those pod sections might need be independant? Just a thought for a future mission innovation.

Perhaps later on, might the Devs consider attaching our purchased interiors? For those players who would immerse themselves. Interpreting the Kobayashi Maru as a literal Starfleet registered starship? Since we can choose the NCC registry already.
    Post edited by psiameese on
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    'The Search'. Reward is the Personal Karemma Trader Comm Code.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    jkwrangler2010jkwrangler2010 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    For the luls. Only Kobayashi Maru's in Fleet Defense, Crystalline Entity Advanced and No Win Scenario

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19GUnjjwK2U&t=1530s
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    wouldlove to see maru parts being able to be used on the t6 mirandas in ship tailor.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    I would just love to use the Maru parts on the Miranda/Reliant ships.
  • Options
    chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »
    They're from the last event before this one. You got a Kobyashi Maru that goes in your device slot. You can call it up and it follows you and/or teammates around and spits buffs at you for a specified time.

You also got a Maru you can call up in Sector Space that gives you access to bank/mail/exchange.

Are on console perhaps? I play PC, I've been on every day for months, but I have no idea what you're talking about. The last event before this for us was Battle of the Binary Stars.
  • Options
    Kobayashi Maru Transponder was the Reward from the October 2019 Featured TFO 'Kobayashi Maru'. It acts like the Call Trade Freighter in Sector Space and within regular space is a resupply.

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Kobayashi_Maru_Transponder
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
This discussion has been closed.