test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I think we ripped a hole in space & time

chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
I just finished a run through of No Win Scenario, and at the very end, where the enemies just warp in with wave after wave of ships, something very odd happened, like I've never seen before in this game.

A bit about the team - I was flying a Dyson Command Science T5-U with an EPG setup and GW III plus VCIS III. Somebody else was also throwing out megawells. And there was one of those Borg Juggernaut thingamies. At the end, somebody opened a solar gateway, I hit QSM plus EP2Aux and tossed out my best gravity well. I think the other science guy also tossed out a megawell, and the center of the screen just turned white. There was this long, rumbling chain of explosions that went on for 10-12 seconds or more, and my screen just pulsed white from edge to edge over and over. I could still see the HUD, it wasn't video card failure. From what little I could see, there were lots of enemies warping in and being sucked into this ungodly abomination we had created. I suspect what happened was a chain of warp core failures that just went on and on and on, and those were the explosions I heard.

Usually everyone just warps out quickly at the end of an STO, (especially one they have played over and over and over like in an event), but three of my teammates stuck around to talk and we were all asking each other, "WTF just happened?". It was like nothing I have ever seen before.

On the subject of No Win Scenario, I am having problems with it corrupting the combat log file. I try to parse it with CLR, and it goes haywire. Parsing of any other combat is working fine. Anybody else have any issues with this?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    Another thing that might have contributed to that flashing and damage storm is someone probably threw an anti-time entanglement on top of the rest. I have noticed it makes the entanglement flash brighter than usual (some collision of visual effects I suppose), and the combo is quite deadly to enemy ships.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    That sounds like the Beacon of Kahless - https://sto.gamepedia.com/Beacon_of_Kahless
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    my bet would be beacon as well. it is blinding - and i think there is a crunching sort of noise with it?
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    Oh yeah, somebody probably threw out an Anti-Time Entanglement Singularity. Because they both have such a long cooldown, I try to save that and QSM for the final wave.

Whatever it was, it acted like the galactic meatgrinder of an angry god on 30 or more enemy ships.

At this point, I'm actually curious to see just how big the radius of a Gravity Well can go. I would expect there to be a point of diminishing returns at some level, but it would be fun to see just where that practical maximum may lie.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    this explains a lot to me then. i see the blinding light several times in TFOs and in BZs. huh...learn something new.

I have seen enemy ships drawn into a megawell from almost as far out as those satellites that fire the torpedoes where the well was relatively close to the Maru so they can have quite a range if your build is optimized for it (I am not sure about the details for making one that strong however). And they were definitely being drawn because they were going backwards and I have never seen mobs do that on purpose.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    this explains a lot to me then. i see the blinding light several times in TFOs and in BZs. huh...learn something new.

I have seen enemy ships drawn into a megawell from almost as far out as those satellites that fire the torpedoes where the well was relatively close to the Maru so they can have quite a range if your build is optimized for it (I am not sure about the details for making one that strong however). And they were definitely being drawn because they were going backwards and I have never seen mobs do that on purpose.

Pull distance & strength depend purely upon CtrlX. The problem is that CtrlX and EPG often compete for the same slots. So once you have an optimized build, getting more CtrlX usually means giving up some EPG, and thereby accepting less damage. The problem being that EPG affects damage of several things on most Sci builds, not just the GW.

Speaking of which, VCIS, or Very Cold In Space, (the BOFF power, you can buy the manuals from QWW store), works surprisingly well with an EPG build. I like to toss out the GW, and then add a VCIS III right in the middle of it.
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    That something turns the screen (not the hud) blinding white is something I encountered here an there (only TFOs). But not for that time span. Sounds like torture; the few sec it usually does are already extremely annoying (and actually physically painful! :( ).

The story sounds great though; I hope you got each other friended to experiment with that (and share some awesome results!) :)
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    That something turns the screen (not the hud) blinding white is something I encountered here an there (only TFOs). But not for that time span. Sounds like torture; the few sec it usually does are already extremely annoying (and actually physically painful! :( ).

The story sounds great though; I hope you got each other friended to experiment with that (and share some awesome results!) :)

The beacon is torture for your eyes if you don't have gamma turned so low that you can't see things. It's more or less the same effect as used in DSC, only there it was used in non-combat situation (and being a TV series we had no control over the actions anyway), where as the in-game item can be used in combat and white outs the screen for at least a second when actived (and yes it's just as annoying as it sounds and really, really bright).
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    would have made one badass youtube video
    Spock.jpg

This discussion has been closed.