test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Turning off effects?

colonelmarikcolonelmarik Member Posts: 2,199 Arc User
Haven't played in a while, I loathe Discovery and the game has become largely about that... so I kind of stopped.

However, I came back today, and I find I more or less CAN'T play, because every time I team up with anyone, I'm completely blinded by an endless deluge of huge flashing, glowing, obscuring and blinding effects. Every battle, the screen is completely filled with blinding magic schmutz.

So, is there a way to turn off (or at least turn down) other people's effects? I still want to see MINE (and the enemy's), but I have to be able to see, and with everyone spamming these blinding magic powers, I just can't.
Once, I was simply called Mojo. Now, I'm forced into a new name, but don't be fooled, I'm the original STO Mojo!

This game needs detailed crafting, exploration and interaction systems.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,635 Arc User
    Sadly, not currently. The best you can do is turn down 'Bloom', but the fire tornadoes remain, though a bit dimmer.

• garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    I have been saying this since I started playing again on Xbox!!!

PLEASE add a way to turn off other player's effects.

For me it got unbearable with the Iconian universal kit mods. Beam in to bug hunt and immediately have 4 solar gateways filling up the sky and polaron barrages and blast turrets filling up the ground. I couldn't see anything.

Now it is just as bad in space with every captain and their brother throwing out glowing red grav wells, plasma storms, temporal fissures, and flashing around the screen with the Lorca maneuvre. It gets to the point where I can only play for about an hour at a time because all the flashing stuff spamming my screen gives me a headache.

PLEASE give us the option to turn off the blinding special effects.
  • furyofthefugafuryofthefuga Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    I’m gonna chime in here and say yeah, we need a way to tone down other people’s effects. It’s probably still good to know when they’re up and where so you can coordinate properly, but as is, they make it very hard to see things at time.

I’d say (ideally) the existing effects should just be toned down in general and future ones should not be so over the top.

As I get more and more back into the game and familiar with the new stuff, I’m starting to feel like this game has “jumped the shark”....
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    It slams framerate too. I'm usually at 60fps, but when enough of these things are spewed out there, BAM! 3fps.

So it's not just me? That's good to know, I guess. Solo content stuff I'm usually fine, though there are a few places that kill my FPS. But anytime I run a queue and folks are spamming all the space magic they can (which I don't blame them), yeah, I'm lucky if it's not a slideshow.

I've always supported others when they bring this topic up and I will throw my support behind this as well. Please, Cryptic, allow us to turn down other players FX as it's just far too much at times. Like when we team with other players!
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    It's only getting worse. I was going to make a video showing the constant screen white flashing in certain TFOs like Infected Space but never uploaded it.

It clearly wasn't enough that you can't see your character, ship, and other spots on map because of flashing multicolors going off all the time, but now the entire screen flashes white almost every time a big borg ship explodes anywhere.

Toggling a certain ship reinforcement console makes the entire screen 100% white for 2-3 seconds.

Developers have no clue what this looks like on a properly bright monitor in a dim room. They clearly don't even play their own game, or are just trolling their own player base trying to induce seizures and pass that off as somehow being good for the game's enjoyment and population.

Flash Flash Flash Flash LONG FLASH multicolor rapid flash bubble LONG FLASH flash flash flash....
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    That Beacon of Kahless could do with a turn off switch hate that thing with a passion

[img][Imgur](

maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    Only one that bugs me is the purple bubble thing that shrinks as it work, the frame rate slows down a lot when that one happens. :s
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    The only one I have a problem with is the Beacon of Kahless. It whites out everything for several seconds and you can't see anything.

Either make it transparent like when you cloak your ship or tone it down drastically.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    That Beacon of Kahless could do with a turn off switch hate that thing with a passion

YES!! This is the worse offender because it doesn't matter where on the map you are, if someone on your team pops the beacon, your whole screen turns completely white for several seconds. I play on Xbox, so I have an entire TV worth of bright white light killing my eyes because of this. Not to mention you can't see what your character is doing during those seconds.

• spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    What I'd love to see would that I could turn of the effects from other people that exist only in the in-universe UI, leave the effects that are suppose to be visible with your biogical unenhanced eyes (in-universe that is) but the ones you need technology see (again in-universe) should be something my captain should be able to say "don't show those effects).
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Here's a take on this. People keep saying that having everyone be a Fleet Admiral is not really a problem because in this game we exist seperately from everyone else. Well, if we exist seperately from everyone else we shouldn't be seeing their graphic effects. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
This discussion has been closed.