test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Am i trippin, or are there $134.00 ships in the zen store

jakeesanjakeesan Member Posts: 14 Arc User
What on Earth is that TRIBBLE? Is zen priced differently for STO or something? 134 bucks for an accountwide ship?! I dont know if i would do that even if i were rich lol.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    jakeesan wrote: »
    What on Earth is that TRIBBLE? Is zen priced differently for STO or something? 134 bucks for an accountwide ship?! I dont know if i would do that even if i were rich lol.

I guess you discovered mudd's scam... errr.. I mean market.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    It's part of Mudd's market, and overpriced to fit the theme of Mudd being a crook, basically. The gimmick is that you're supposed to wait till it goes on sale, at 80% off or more, unless of course you want to give Cryptic a bunch of money.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    They don't expect you to buy it at those prices, only at 80% or 85% off. Read the description on the Ship, it pretty much tells you that.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    They don't expect you to buy it at those prices, only at 80% or 85% off. Read the description on the Ship, it pretty much tells you that.

They just hope you will =p
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    Welcome, new player. Harry Mudd is a character from TOS: https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Harcourt_Fenton_Mudd
  • Options
    jakeesanjakeesan Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    Theyve had 30 and 40 dollar ships, outfits etc, and even higher priced stuff, in the store for years, though right? Including these Mudd Market prices in the past too, right but in the regular zen market? Am i wrong?
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    jakeesan wrote: »
    Theyve had 30 and 40 dollar ships, outfits etc, and even higher priced stuff, in the store for years, though right? Including these Mudd Market prices in the past too, right but in the regular zen market? Am i wrong?

What ship are you talking about that is NOT part of Mudd's Market?

Mudd's is a sub-section of the C-Store, so maybe you're just seeing a Mudd's listing in a different view of the store?
  • Options
    jagdtier44jagdtier44 Member Posts: 376 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    tigeraries wrote: »
    ltminns wrote: »

They just hope you will =p

exactly. Haha get it? It's Harry Mudd! come on click buy, Your not really suppose to buy em at that price god come on cliiick iiiiit, we run them at sale prices which is the REAL price! haha come on you whale pay uuusss!!
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,986 Arc User
    It almost reads as a disclaimer when you see the item description.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Since @jakeesan hasn't returned with a counter-example, I'm going to declare that the ships were Mudd's Market ships like we all thought.

If they ever break up the Legendary bundle then we might really see some regular C-Store ships at $100+
  • Options
    disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    Funny thing is, by making it like this they not only have the chance of getting chumps to buy ships for 5x regular price, but the ships are also NEVER subject to storewide sales. The 20% off everything they're doing currently has no benefit since they're still overpriced.
  • Options
    paladinrja#5247 paladinrja Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited April 2020
    Its worth keeping an eye on announcements about Mudd's Market. They generally take three or more items on the list, and list them at market prices. Its also stocked with items that were previously one off event items, or bound up in exclusivity deals. (Hoping the starfleet WoK era uniforms go on XBOX soon).

Items chosen tend to coincide with parallel sales taking place throughout the store. So (for example) if there is a ship sale taking place; the ships in Mudd's are offered at a comparative rate. I've noted they are always gonna be a coupla hundred more (2800 vs 2600), I've assumed, because they seem designed around the same principles as the current "Legendary" ships. In fact, unless I'm not mistaken, those ships are the template for the Legendary pack ships?

If you want to buy the T'pau, S'torr, or Vizier being offered (so far), for 17000z. There's nothing stopping you. They are fantastic ships, each one. -- Should you? Isn't for me to say.

Tbh, there are things about items in this game, most players simply aren't aware of; because its not part of meta discussion. -- White cores (for example) people generally trash, can result in godly one offs that are account binds; and are the only core you'll ever need. However, you might get one such core, in 15-20 developed to Epic, if RNGesus is on your side.

Ships aren't much, if you don't have the equipment to outfit them; should always be on your mind. Its up to you to work out where your resources go. Seemingly unimportant details in the system, become the sinew that binds any imaginable build, and makes it shine. -- Dil2Zen, chasing ship acquisitions becomes much less important, when all your ships are sucking so much energy, powering shields, you can barely shoot!
    XBOX One GT: Paladinrja
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    tl;dr - you're only supposed to buy the Mudd's Market things when they're 80% off.
  • Options
    captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    honestly the Mudd's market is a bad thing and we should not be saying "ohh it's ok cause you're supposed to wait for a sale" it is INSANELY over priced and I'm sure some people have ended up buying it full price. Just have mudds market offer items in a temporary rotation if thats your game cryptic
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Honestly, its not. -- I just blew through $170 on R&D packs (for the S31 HBC) and all I ended up doing was proc'ing wins for 4 other dudes. One of which got three T6 promo packs, in the same time it took me to pop all my packs (Hawaiin something or other).

At least I got enough Lobi to buy the Limited Tzenkethi Carrier; but I honestly got upset doing this. Its made me rethink things.

On top of that. My Klingon aligned Jem'Hadar can no longer swap between ships. I have to manually refit each time I change craft now.

..fun day, huh?
  • Options
    Honestly, its not. -- I just blew through $170 on R&D packs (for the S31 HBC) and all I ended up doing was proc'ing wins for 4 other dudes. One of which got three T6 promo packs, in the same time it took me to pop all my packs (Hawaiin something or other).

At least I got enough Lobi to buy the Limited Tzenkethi Carrier; but I honestly got upset doing this. Its made me rethink things.

On top of that. My Klingon aligned Jem'Hadar can no longer swap between ships. I have to manually refit each time I change craft now.

..fun day, huh?

$170 is about enough to buy a pack ship from the Exchange if you do it right.

Buy zen during a charge bonus
    Buy packs during a sale
    Sell packs a bit later once the price on the exchange recovers
    Buy pack ship for credits
  • Options
    My point was its a lot of money to not get the thing you're after. -- its true there are many ways to trade for Zen, EC & Dil.

That said, the game already tracks your RM spending. If you put that kinda money down, you should absolutely get a promo pack. The gambling aspect, should be concerned with whether you get it for less, or multiple packs.

Mudds store in comparison, offers the top tier ships, per class in the game, bar none; among a range of items that are also top in the game. Its listed, you only have to buy it, somehow.

I bought that many R&D packs for crafting and the Lobi to buy the limited availability Tzenkethi Tzen Tar DC. The S31 HBC will always be in promo packs now.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    My point was its a lot of money to not get the thing you're after. -- its true there are many ways to trade for Zen, EC & Dil.

That said, the game already tracks your RM spending. If you put that kinda money down, you should absolutely get a promo pack. The gambling aspect, should be concerned with whether you get it for less, or multiple packs.

Mudds store in comparison, offers the top tier ships, per class in the game, bar none; among a range of items that are also top in the game. Its listed, you only have to buy it, somehow.

I bought that many R&D packs for crafting and the Lobi to buy the limited availability Tzenkethi Tzen Tar DC. The S31 HBC will always be in promo packs now.

You wait until they put Mudd's on the 80% sale and everything is reduced down to a normal price. Anything that isn't that sale, is you just letting yourself be ripped off.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    trennan wrote: »

You wait until they put Mudd's on the 80% sale and everything is reduced down to a normal price. Anything that isn't that sale, is you just letting yourself be ripped off.

Why are you telling me this? -- I obviously know (or are you agreeing with me in wierd ways?); its also been stated, ad nauseum, in the thread. To the point, I don't even think the Op's watching the thread anymore.

I don't think Mudds market is a bad thing at all. Different to the normal Zen store, but not bad. Just less "on demand", which doesn't bother me personally.

I'm far more concerned about getting away from the militant "Star Trek" and expanding on available ingame content. Different things to do and ways to garner resources. -- Dil & EC are heavily important to F2P players; but nothing should trump Real Money. Its also real money that populates the whole community with Zen. You can't get it otherwise. So "careful".

This game isn't about owning everything. Choose the craft that fit your play style, all the way up to elite-end game. I actually have a non-fed captain thats all about support carriers, so the Tzenkethi DC (and more accelorators) is my first reason to drop a wad. -- its just uncool that you can spend $170 on promo packs and not get a single T6 choice pack.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

Why are you telling me this? -- I obviously know (or are you agreeing with me in wierd ways?); its also been stated, ad nauseum, in the thread. To the point, I don't even think the Op's watching the thread anymore.

I don't think Mudds market is a bad thing at all. Different to the normal Zen store, but not bad. Just less "on demand", which doesn't bother me personally.

I'm far more concerned about getting away from the militant "Star Trek" and expanding on available ingame content. Different things to do and ways to garner resources.

This game isn't about owning everything. Choose the craft that fit your play style, all the way up to elite-end game. I actually have a non-fed captain thats all about support carriers, so the Tzenkethi DC (and more accelorators) is my first reason to drop a wad. -- its just uncool that you can spend $170 on promo packs and not get a single T6 choice pack.

It only bothers me in everything other than ships. Everything listed used to be an event reward. The ophidian cane for example, it was originally an old weekly Feature Episode reward, which they stopped doing. Then it was an event reward a couple years ago. So event rewards should have stayed just that.

The ships I don't mind at all. Since that's better than playing the phoenix gamble trying to get a UR or Epic token, and they're account unlocks.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2020

It only bothers me in everything other than ships. Everything listed used to be an event reward. The ophidian cane for example, it was originally an old weekly Feature Episode reward, which they stopped doing. Then it was an event reward a couple years ago. So event rewards should have stayed just that.

The ships I don't mind at all. Since that's better than playing the phoenix gamble trying to get a UR or Epic token, and they're account unlocks.

Nah, eff that. I'm more a fan of "Fair use policy". If you were fortunate enough to get a thing for free, via some event or other? Cool. Power to ya. -- but eventually, everyone should get access to it in some way.

I play the game, to play games. I don't need a trinket to validate my continued playing. Its nice to have my fun with it for a while, but eventually it'll boil down to "keeping the game progressive and entertaining".

The space combat in this game will always need tweaking, but without new mechanics? Its essentially done. -- theres a whole other side to the game that we only get glimpses in, via events and is ripe for development. -- I'm sure this is not lost on the devs. Letting them know our support, is game active, is important.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @captainbrian11 said:
    > honestly the Mudd's market is a bad thing and we should not be saying "ohh it's ok cause you're supposed to wait for a sale" it is INSANELY over priced and I'm sure some people have ended up buying it full price. Just have mudds market offer items in a temporary rotation if thats your game cryptic

This. It is possible to buy the things at the "joke price (wink wink)". If the system would not allow you to buy at full price with a funny message or let you "haggle" with virtual mud until you always pay 80% off the joke would work.

This however is no joke. If you buy at 140$ your money is just gone, nothing is stopping you. They clearly hope people do that.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    They clearly hope people do that.

Personally, I don't think that they do.

I just think it's a poorly-thought-out idea.
  • Options
    > @captainbrian11 said:
    > honestly the Mudd's market is a bad thing and we should not be saying "ohh it's ok cause you're supposed to wait for a sale" it is INSANELY over priced and I'm sure some people have ended up buying it full price. Just have mudds market offer items in a temporary rotation if thats your game cryptic

This. It is possible to buy the things at the "joke price (wink wink)". If the system would not allow you to buy at full price with a funny message or let you "haggle" with virtual mud until you always pay 80% off the joke would work.

This however is no joke. If you buy at 140$ your money is just gone, nothing is stopping you. They clearly hope people do that.

Do you buy things at any price just because you'd like to have them?

No one has ever had a Phaser held to their head to force them to click the buy button in the c-store.

If a ship is worth $138 to someone, they have the money, and they choose to ignore the text telling them the item is currently overpriced, then they should be allowed to make their dubious choice.

Freedom means free to be dumb :)
  • Options
    kiralyn wrote: »
    They clearly hope people do that.

Personally, I don't think that they do.

Me either.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @kiralyn said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Personally, I don't think that they do.
    >
    >
    > I just think it's a poorly-thought-out idea.

If they didn't, in my opinion, they'd make it impossible to actually spend the amount. But it's possible. And that is just mean. It could say "nice of you to do this, but that's actually a joke and you won't get charged that much".
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,986 Arc User
    Freedom means free to be dumb :)

Freedom for marketing departments to boldly go where no one has gone before and explore boundaries.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Well, how about when you pre-order an STO Expansion for $129.95, and then when it actually releases it is 12,500 in the C-Store?

Some people will not blink at paying whatever if they can be one of the Initial owners of something.

There is a whole range of reasons why people spend what they spend on whatever they fancy.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
This discussion has been closed.