test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Hello! Noob here!

the76thrule#0927 the76thrule Member Posts: 6 Arc User
I'm The76thRule (though I'm fine with nicknames, 'cause that's kinda long).

I've done some text-based rps on other sites and even modded a few myself, but any advice y'all have would be accepted and appreciated. I have not, however, done any dice-based rps.

I'm also new to the STO game, so any tips or pointers you have would be great too. I think I've got the main idea down, but there's always room for improvement.

I'm a bit new to the Star Trek fandom (I know a little about the OG series and am on the last season of DS9), but I'm in plenty of other fandoms and am totally open to discuss them.

Nice to meet y'all! :)
Does anyone else here watch Farscape? Only me? Okay then...

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    h32EB73C2

If you have any questions about a particular element of the game or Star Trek in general, feel free to ask.

As for RP... I've heard good and bad at times. Probably no different than any other game out there with an RP community.

Also... might want to be a bit careful when bringing up the more recent shows. Some people around here get a little... touchy... on that particular subject. However I'd be more than willing to answer questions about them too as I'm more of the "judge for yourself" kind of person when it comes to a series, and I'm also of the opinion that, even if we don't like certain elements of Star Trek, we're still Star Trek fans.

Anyways... welcome and have fun. B)
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    ricosakararicosakara Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    I'm with Rattler on this as. Best to avoid conflicts with players that have a beef with newer Trek, and just let them be. There are many Trekkers/Trekkies in the world, and when it comes to the news shows, Discovery and Picard, most are against them, while some are either neutral (like me) or do like it to some extent. Either way, best to just avoid them and let them be.

As for game play, your first few months at playing will be leveling up and upgrading both your crew's and ship's gear and consoles, sometimes on the fly. But as Napalm said, it's best to use a specific weapon-type, with a "one-size fits all" mentality. An example is using a phaser build with either beams or cannons that are all phaser-type, and having console that help boost their attack power, etc. Same thing goes if you want a build based on the other weapon types.
    NO rainbow-beam builds, unless they are all the same weapon-type, like Disruptor or Plasma type.

Also, if you plan on using money for endgame ships, inventory slots, etc., or what not, just don't go overboard. 1000 Zen = $10. So, if you're plan on buying a bundle or a 3-ship set, expand slots somewhere, or wanting a rare store item, be aware of how much you're going to spend.

also, I recommend using the old Hilbert Guide for STO, which you can find here: http://hilbertguide.com//
    Although if you downloaded the game thru ARC or Steam, I'm not so sure where to place the "Spacebar.txt" script for the tray-7 auto buttons. Might have to ask around.

Finally, if you need further help or a walkthrough of gameplay, I HIGHLY recommend Brent Justice's STO channel, JustGaming4Us here: https://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
    Brent (aka The Doctor) has been playing STO since the beginning when the game was in beta. His playthoughs are EPIC! And great for if you're stuck on a mission in game.

Anyways, welcome to STO! And enjoy!
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    Welcome to the Show! I'm glad you joined us!

Star Trek fandom is a big enough tent where there's room for everyone. So ignore the self appointed gatekeepers. Engaging with them is a waste of time and energy. If you acknowledge their presence, they will never stop bothering you. Like the parts of Star Trek you like for the reason(s) you like them and worry not about whether or not you're going to fit in. As big as this fandom is, it isn't hard at all to find people whose viewpoints and likes align with yours.

I'm a lifelong Star Trek fan and I'm pretty sure there are only two or three Star Trek based games I have not played. So my opinions on STO are probably biased.

First off, I know little about RP in this game beyond shouting, "Qa'pla!" over Discord when I kill something. There are plenty of people within this game community who do RP. Check the Fleet Recruitment part of these forums to find some of them. I've met a few RPer's ingame and they are just like the majority of people around here. That is, both friendly and helpful.

Best advice I can give a new STO player follows:

- Try all the things in this game. There really isn't a 'best' way to play.(WHAAT?! HERESY! BURN THE BLASPHEMER!)
    I suggest you try the things which look like they'd be the most fun for you.

- Tons of good advice here from people who are very smart about this game.
    They will be glad to help you out with anything at all game related if you ask.

- Never let yourself forget STO is a game. Something we do for entertainment.
    Too easy to get so engrossed in the details all the fun gets tossed out with the bathwater.

- Lastly, if you enjoyed playing this session of STO and you are eagerly looking forward to playing the next time.
    You are winning the game!

My ingame handle is @thunderfoot1007. If you find yourself with a question or just in need of a wingman for a mission or a TFO, please ask. I'm the very short tlh'Ingan with the oversized bat'leth near the back of Quark's. Red Side is the Best side! (MOAR BLASPHEMY! GET THE TORCHES!)
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    - Try all the things in this game. There really isn't a 'best' way to play.(WHAAT?! HERESY! BURN THE BLASPHEMER!)
    I suggest you try the things which look like they'd be the most fun for you.
    And remember, as Thunderfoot intimates but doesn't quite say, there are a lot of people in the game who believe that their favorite way to play is the only way to play, and the rest of us are having badwrongfun and should stop that right now. Ignore them. If chasing DPS is your dream, plenty of folks will help you out with that. If you want to build ships of a certain type, others will give you suggestions. If you want to equip all sorts of different types of energy weapons and go blasting through the stars like a pack of radioactive Skittles, there are those who'll tell you not to, but I say do what gives you joy.

My only advice with RP, as I do my own right here in my chair, is to RP with others in a separate chat channel. If you try to do it in Zone, especially in a major location like ESD or Beta Quadrant, the trolls will never leave you alone.

Oh, another good source for playthroughs is Certifiably Ingame. He does the same sort of thing I do, with saying out loud to myself what my character's reactions are (the commentary while running his Rom toon through Khitomer is hilarious), and while he does edit out his character deaths in play, he acknowledges that they happened - he's just trying to weave a particular narrative in his videos, and dying isn't really part of that narrative.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    @jonsills Thank you. Much appreciated. Hey, OP? This guy, right here, is one of those people I was speaking of whose STO-IQ is very high.

"badwrongfun" is the best sort, isn't it? To completely enjoy myself while shocking or annoying others feels sooo naughty! In a good way, lol.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.