edited March 2020
    (response to redacted post removed) - darkbladejk
    Post edited by darkbladejk on
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    i want that section 31 ship. however i spent 200 on the legendary pack. i was wondering how many packs does it normally take to get a ship or is it bad and it could take thousands of dollars worth of packs to get the ship

There is ZERO guarantee you'll EVER get a ship from a box. Yes, the odds are 1 every 250 - but that's not a guarantee. You could get a Ship in the first Box you open, or get no ship after 500+ (Welcome to the Random Number Generator). IE - There's no way to know for certain when opening a Gamble Box.

That's why some opt (via playing and selling items to NPC vendors, buying and selling Master Keys, Promo Boxes and other items on the EC exchange to other Players, etc.) to get enough EC to purchase one from the EC E change from a player who's put one up for sale.
    ^^^
    Yes, it's VERY expensive/time consuming, but at least that way, you KNOW what you're getting in the end after spending what you had to - to acquire the EC to purchase said ship.

Going the Gamble Box route it's possible you could still spend that much and NOT end up with the ship you want (and the items you get instead wouldn't be enough on their own to get the ship off the EC Exchange.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    I NEVER open boxes expecting to get a ship. RNG says that I could open 1,000,000 or more boxes and never get a ship. I buy keys every now and then when they have a sale on the key ring thingy where you get 20 keys plus an ultimate tech upgrade and if I'm feeling lucky I eventually open boxes with them knowing my chances of getting anything good other than the guaranteed Lobi are slim to none.
    Over many years and several hundreds of boxes I have yet to get a T6 ship, I have gotten a number of nice things I could use and overall selling the stuff I didn't want I have probably recouped about 75% of the EC value of the keys I have used. If I ever did get a T6 ship I would likely sell it anyway, a boatload of EC I can use on any toon is a lot more appealing to me than a ship that I can only use on one.

If it wasn't for the stuff I want that can only be purchased with Lobi, I would never open a single box. I buy an occasional lottery ticket because I can afford to throw that money away, not because I actually expect to win anything. I open boxes because I can afford to waste those keys, but unlike the lottery tickets, I always get something I can actually use when I open a box, even if it's just the Lobi.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    Anyone else think of this when reading the thread title?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6rHeD5x2tI
    I was thinking of the "OVER 9000!" meme....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    I'm only going to say this once so I suggest folks pay attention. If folks want to discuss their experiences with how many boxes or such it took them to drop a ship, that's fine. However we're not going to revisit the whole "are lockboxes gambling" type of thing as that always devolves into folks flaming each other. In addition there is a time and place for such discussions but this thread here and now is not one of them. So leave the whole "boycott gamble boxes" out of this discussion.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • Options
    fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    edited March 2020
    I know someone who posted the numbers for phoenix tokens and um he did 1000 and only got one epic.
    i think it was like less than 5 ultra rare if that and the most was uncommon.
    What he posted is exactly why i refuse to do phoenix boxes past the total number i need for phoenix upgrades during double upgrade weekends.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    Sometimes it's just dumb luck! I used the five free anniversary keys on console this weekend to open 5 of the current lock boxes (Kelvin Divergence) and scored a Kelvin Einstein Heavy Destroyer after using the second one. That ship has proven to be a lot of fun and while I did consider selling it on the exchange; I'm glad that I opted to keep it for it's unique design and what has proven to be a fun ride.

STILL trying to get one of those myself.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
This discussion has been closed.