test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Plasma torpedo boats

okay, i know for pure torpedo boats (meaning, not mixed with EPG), a mix of torpedoes is the best you can get, but if one wanted to make a torpedo boat with just plasma torpedoes...which ones are the best of the lot? obviously, the altamid is a given (and not just the torpedo but the entire set)

and being i haven't done much work on torpedo boats lately, what are the current BiS traits for them, both starship and personal, plasma-specific or torpedo in general, and what are some alternatives in the case of overly expensive traits (like ceaseless momentum for KDF)?

and the same question for consoles and other gear​​
Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
"We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
Passion and Serenity are one.
I gain power by understanding both.
In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
The Force is united within me.

Comments

• Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,637 Arc User
    About the only Plasma torp that you haven't mentioned already that's stand-out is the Romulan Hyperplasma from the Romulan Reputation, with it getting 2% Bonus damage if you have Romulan Reputation to Tier 6 and each of it's three torpedoes it fires having a chance to proc Projectile Weapon Officers (the cooldown variant at least, but might also proc CritH/D DOffs more often too).

If you can't get Ceaseless Momentum cheaply, there's no direct replacement, AFAIK, so just go with what you'd have picked if it didn't exist.

Nothing too new for gear/traits for torp boats, with Console - Universal - Swarmer Matrix being some of the most new, and that came out as the same time as the Altamid set. From the current Borg lockbox, about the only thing interesting for torp boats would be the Adaptive Offense Trait, which is a pile of Critical Hit Chance that changes to Critical Damage over time with Crits--1.6% CritH, 9% CritD when fully proc'ed-- but that's decent on nearly any build (though it seems that it hasn't become 'meta' for DPS).

Try taking a look at this video from Augmented Dictator Games for a really high-end build (hundreds of thousands DPS, thousands of Lobi), though you'll likely have to make compromises to port the build to strictly Plasma:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f70kXAWgUJ8

Note: Long in-depth video, you might consider cranking up the video speed for the talking section.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    i don't see myself using the swarm console on a torpedo boat that doesn't also have at least one hangar - otherwise all you're getting is 50 projectile skill, which is like...25% cat1 damage?

admittedly, a stronger boost than most other consoles that have torpedo or projectile damage boosts on them, but they usually also have OTHER useful things as well...this console's other useful thing is only useful if you can actually use hangar pets​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    I would also recommend Holographic Mirage Decoys as well as using the T'liss console set, great torpedo set. Contractual Agreement Set the torpedo and mine are good in this set. with a plasma damage boost.
  • Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,215 Arc User
    If you use the full altamid set the torp is buffed by plasma torp consoles despite dealing kinetic damage, and the full set bonus effect I believe provides 100% haste for energy AND torp weapons, and it is extremely difficult to find anything that applies a haste effect to torps
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    I always liked the Advanced Fleet Plasma Torpedoes as they do not turn into slow destructible balls but instead act like Photons in Spread and high yield. If you are not using EPG then 4 Advanced Fleet Plasma Torpedoes can make a effective and rarely seen style of plasma torpedo boat.
  • Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,215 Arc User
    I would personally mix the Altamid torp, Romulan Hyper, Advanced fleet torp, and lastly the Plasma cloud torp, and if you can fit it, the corrosive plasma torp, though I usually have issues with 5 torps firing at once, they start getting too speedy.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Hyperplasma is the only one you need if you run 3 projectile doffs. If you want to make a pure torpedo boat, though, I'd leave that one out or make sure it is the last in the sequence.

If you're using destructible, slow torpedoes you'll want to look at the swarmer matrix, holographic mirage decoys, and torpedo prefire sequence to make them all faster. The Romulan rep set also helps here, but you may want to skip it to go with the Honor Guard/adapated Maco set instead.
  • Options
    trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    Yeah T'liss set with omega, romulan, altamid, particle emission then black out mines and tractor mines on the rear of t'liss for a setup like that or if shields are a problem swap blackout for that lobi one concentrated something or other. I also have for my b'rel chang bomber after so many years of protests and realizing their game isn't a pvp game that a mixture of the similar mine setup for the rear and then using for the front terran rep set torpedo, agony torp from the phoenix store, and a regular terran torpedo, and the DHC from the space set + the console makes it a great torp boat.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    torpedo pre-fire sequence is a hard requirement for torpedo boats anyway, because it's 16% bonus damage for projectiles at rank 2​​

#LegalizeAwoo