test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Get more Star Trek feel, with some simple(?) visual tweaks.

yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
Just a couple of ideas to make the Game feel a bit more like Star Trek, instead of Starship troopers.

- Instead of making enemy ships explode, can we please have a toggle to just disable them? (at least in solo missions)
Similar like in the early AoY missions where you disable infected Starfleet ships.
It feels really tireing to annihilate that many NPC crews in a STAR TREK game, whereas we could just diable their ships without killing all of them.
Isn't this what Star Trek was once about in the first place?

- Add a slider to change the amount of Visual FX in Space AND ground, or make them at least less visible. To say amount of Visual FX, especially in Battlezones was excessive would be an understatement. There's so much going on, even in Ground Missions, (like Arena of Sompek for ex.) you cometimes can't see anything at all. That's not fun at all.

- Add a toggle to reduce the visual Ship Energy weapons to one single beam (one fore/aft). This would reduce the visual clutter and enhance the feel like in the shows. This could maybe be done via visual slot at the Ship Status swindow, where you can put other visuals for the ships shields for example.

All things considered, the game feels and looks much more Star Trek in early stage of the game, especially after the tutorial until Captain imo.
After that, the visuals slowly gets more and more to a point where the visual overload becomes so excessive, its overwhelming and tiring to be honest.

Again, less is more.
"...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
(also applies to Star Trek in general)

Comments

• Options
    borg0vermindborg0vermind Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    Are you trying to adapt the game to be played on an MS-DOS box ?
    Even so, the reduction of FX is not justified.
  • Options
    mrlostsoul#1950 mrlostsoul Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    I like the explosions the way they are. But I wounder if it's possible if you add more options, could you customize the game for that specific player alone. If a player chooses the option to have less extreme explosions, would it affect other players' visuals?
  • Options
    widde84widde84 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    I was actually a bit bothered by the excessive use of space weapons. Why fire all at once? That's what was nice about Star Trek Legacy and Bridge Commander, you only fired one weapon at a time, as in the show. So it would be both accurate to the show *and* scientifically make sense to fire one at a time. Could be done without having to change the core system much and keep the number of weapons on the ships, by having a single random weapon fire at a time, or select which one would fire. I don't know how the engine works, so I have no idea how difficult that would be to implement.
    Also beam weapons feels a bit weak/funky with that '3-burst' fire. A long beam would make more sense...?
    "Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood."
    - Marie Curie
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,000 Arc User
    I call upon the guardian of this realm to be sent forth and protect us from this zombie necromancer. Unleash your power oh great guardians of this realm and banish it with the power you wield.

@darkbladejk @rattler2 @wingedhussar#7584

put simply NECROOOOOO
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Yup... this is Necromancy.
    *casts Holy Photon Torpedo*

Please remember to watch when the thread was last posted in.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
This discussion has been closed.