test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Account Temporarily Suspended?

kemchakemcha Member Posts: 343 Arc User
edited January 2014 in Controls and User Interface
I don't get it. Either I'm ignorant or I have no idea what's going on.

First, I went off on a rant in zone chat yesterday and my account was temporarily suspended. I understand what I did was wrong and appealed to Cryptic to restore with the assurance that my behavior would change, and it did. My account was restored.

So, what happened? Instead of going off in zone chat, some users started loot stealing from me today while doing Defera and rather than go off in zone chat, I reported the two users for loot stealing and MY ACCOUNT GETS TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED?

I don't know if I'm missing something here but how does reporting gamers for loot stealing result in the person filing the report getting suspended? I'm at a loss because since my account was restored yesterday, I've been behaving myself. I just don't understand Cryptic at all ...
possibilities are a thing of hope, sometimes it drives us toward something better
Post edited by kemcha on

Comments

• Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    In the 4 years I've played STO, I have never seen a function that allows you to steal loot drops from other players... They drop for you, and only you (or in cases of team, based on a Need/Greed/pass system that most people just press Need on).

So basically you must have been trolling when you reported them, cause you can't steal from other players.

Edit: Don't misunderstand... I am not saying you did it purposely, but given that you had done something inappropriate just shortly before (by your own admission), and considering that what you describe, is impossible, you must be able to see how that would raise eyebrows with the mods.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Well, I'm referring to the Preserver Artifact mission. There are three Borg guarding each artifact and what these users do is wait while you're preoccupied with the three Bord guards and they run up behind you and steal the artifact loot/objective.

This is nothing more than loot stealing, in a sense.
    possibilities are a thing of hope, sometimes it drives us toward something better
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kemcha wrote: »
    Well, I'm referring to the Preserver Artifact mission. There are three Borg guarding each artifact and what these users do is wait while you're preoccupied with the three Bord guards and they run up behind you and steal the artifact loot/objective.

I don't think that is how cryptic sees it... It's much like the Battle credit drops in the Battlezone, and you take a handful, when you just made it in... It may be anoying, but theres nothing "stealing" about it...

Just taking advantage of a situation where "money" is available.

And... It suits Cryptics profile perfectly when you think about it.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    While definately bad manners, I don't think it's actually considered to be a reportable offense.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I know but to retaliate against the person who filed the report? It's like charging a victim with the crime when they were the victim of an assault. Not only that but no indication from Cryptic as to why my account was suspended in the first place for this second time.
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Maybe someone didn't get the memo about your reinstatement from the first time.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I know but to retaliate against the person who filed the report? It's like charging a victim with the crime when they were the victim of an assault. Not only that but no indication from Cryptic as to why my account was suspended in the first place for this second time.

If enough people report you for spamming - the STO server itself institutes a temp chat ban (I'm not sure how long it lasts, maybe 24 hours.) I have a feeling there were enough people who remembered you from your rant; or you told the other players beforehand that you were going to report them -- enough players in zone decided to report you for spam, triggering the temp auto chatban timer again. (or you said something to them that they decided to also report, and a Cryptic GM decided it was ban worthy.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    This isn't a chat ban ... this is an account temporary suspension, which prevents you form logging in through the STO client. It prevents you from playing the game.
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited January 2014

There is nothing in the rules that says you can't wait for someone else to do the work, then charge in and take an item or complete an objective that is available for anyone.

There have been complaints about players doing just that in the Dyson Sphere ground battlezone. They stand back waiting for players to capture a point, then charge in and pick up all the command credits that drop. The command credits can be picked up by anyone.

In situations like these it's basically a first come first serve basis. It's not against the rules to do such things, but at most it is very rude and inconsiderate.

As for your account being re-suspended; it's possible Cryptic saw you reporting players for dong nothing wrong as a form of harassment. And since your account was recently suspended for doing something wrong, they may have seen you as a trouble maker and reinstated the suspension they had lifted.

I don't think reporting a player once when they aren't doing anything wrong would get your account suspended. It's of course up to Cryptic to take action against the player that was reported. But if you report the same player several times when they still aren't doing anything wrong, that is a form of harassment because you are trying to get someone banned for no reason. (I'm not saying you did this)

As for loot stealing: there's no such thing in this game. If an item or objective is up for grabs for whoever gets it first, that's not stealing. Like getting to the first place flag at the same time as another player in the winter wonderland competitive race and the other player manages to grab the flag before you do. That wouldn't be flag stealing.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Maybe someone didn't get the memo about your reinstatement from the first time.

The OP said they managed to get their account reinstated, but later it was re-suspended. Most likely the OP said or did something that made Cryptic change their mind about lifting the suspension.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I thought about that but realized I had said nothing. The only thing I posted in chat was that I had reported the user as a looter. I'm simply at a loss as to what I was suspended for because I wasn't being abusive or anything like that, I wasn't swearing, I wasn't abusing chat in any way. Nothing I posted in chat could be construed as "suspension" viable.

This is something that every user engages in.
  • Options
    robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Nothing I posted in chat could be construed as "suspension" viable.

This gives me the impression that you said something to them before you submitted the ticket. Even though you don't feel it was offensive or in zone. Did you pm them first and if you did what did you say to them?

Sometimes chat is not the best medium for conveying emotions.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I thought about that but realized I had said nothing. The only thing I posted in chat was that I had reported the user as a looter. I'm simply at a loss as to what I was suspended for because I wasn't being abusive or anything like that, I wasn't swearing, I wasn't abusing chat in any way. Nothing I posted in chat could be construed as "suspension" viable.

This is something that every user engages in.

Bragging about reporting someone is generally viewed as childish/immature/asinine/harassment.

It's possible when you told them you reported them, they turned around and reported you for harassment.

Keep in mind that Cryptic can look up the chat logs to see what any player had said. Even if it's a private message to another player. So when someone is reported for something they said, Cryptic just pulls up the logs for the time period the incident took place and decides if any action is needed for an account.

There isn't anything anyone on the forums can do for you. All I can advise is to wait out the suspension and try not to get in trouble again. It wouldn't be wise to push the matter with customer support as they may decide to change the temporary suspension into a permanent account ban. By this I mean if they tell you they won't remove the suspension, just drop the matter and wait it out.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I can honestly tell you that all I said was the loot stealing was a violation and that I was reporting the users to Cryptic. If that's grounds for suspending someone's account then it's messed up. I said it once to the first player who looted from me and said the same thing to a second player who did the same thing. It was only said once, in deference to each player, and nothing more was posted about it.

If posting "loot stealing is not fair gameplay and that I'm reporting <username> for loot stealing" then something is wrong with the system. If I did something wrong, I'll admit to it. I do admit that the first suspension yesterday was my fault and I'm taking responsibility for that and that it wouldn't happen again. But, this second suspension a day later all resulting from reporting two users for loot stealing from me, I don't know. Something is messed up about it this time unless these two users lied about something in order to get me suspended.
  • Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I can honestly tell you that all I said was the loot stealing was a violation and that I was reporting the users to Cryptic. If that's grounds for suspending someone's account then it's messed up. I said it once to the first player who looted from me and said the same thing to a second player who did the same thing. It was only said once, in deference to each player, and nothing more was posted about it.

If posting "loot stealing is not fair gameplay and that I'm reporting <username> for loot stealing" then something is wrong with the system. If I did something wrong, I'll admit to it. I do admit that the first suspension yesterday was my fault and I'm taking responsibility for that and that it wouldn't happen again. But, this second suspension a day later all resulting from reporting two users for loot stealing from me, I don't know. Something is messed up about it this time unless these two users lied about something in order to get me suspended.

If these people were capable of "stealing" this loot then they are within their rights to do so. No violation was made on their part.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Were you, perhaps, by any chance, breathing at the time you were banned? According to the TOS, at the very bottom, everything, including breathing, is a bannable offense. If someone decides they want to ban you for absolutely no reason, that section says that they can, as everything is bannable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Sounds like you wasted a GM's time by reporting something that's not a reportable offense and they didn't like it.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Actually, come to find out, that my account was going through an on again/off again review over my behavior in chat. After pleading my case, I was informed that my temporary suspension was due to my offensive language in chat and that I'll be adjusting the language that I use. That I would need to ride out the suspension and not engage in that behavior in the future.

Let's just say this this is one person who learned their lesson.

Far as the loot stealing goes? Or those players lying in wait and then rush in to steal the objectives while doing none of the work? Cryptic GMs are investigating the matter and that they'll deal with it if it's a real problem. Unfortunately, they don't acknowledge what direction their investigation takes as they consider all such matters to be confidential.

Hopefully, the GMs will help in this problem and either curb this practice or do their best to try and limit it. Personally, I think they should nerf the whole game in such a way to prevent the theft of such loot. I'm referring where you're doing a mission, such as on Defera, and whether you're doing the 'Regeneration Hub' medium mission or whether you're doing the 'Temple Preserver Artifact' medium mission, that once you engage the Borg protecting the artifact you're heading after or when you activate the Regeneration Hub and the 6 Borg start to engage you, that unless you're on a team, that no other player can simply run up and take that objective while you're running that particular immediate objective.

Whether you agree or not, it really is loot stealing in the sense that when you start it in the area you are in, that until you move on to the next 'preserver artifact' (there are 30) or the next 'regeneration hub' objective (of which there are 10) then no random player can simply run up behind you while you're distracted by the Borg.

Not only is this unethical gameplay but it turns lazy gamers into 'snipers' who just look for opportunities to steal an objective away from you. If Cryptic continues to allow this then you're going to find other veteran players doing the same thing. THAT, in effect, IS a problem that should be addressed because it's currently going on.

I've seen this kind of unethical gameplay happening mostly on Defera and it really needs to stop. Otherwise, you're going to have every player looking at new ways to 'STICK' it to any gamer they come across.
  • Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hmm this sounds mad to me because ive reported someone before for swearing at me in 3 diffrent mails n cryptic did notthing to them the wrong GM most of looked at mine. :mad:
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    It's just frustrating because Cryptic doesn't email you when you are suspended nor do they tell you how long the suspension is for. Not only that, But I can't seem to get any response from customer support over the length of this suspension.

While I'll admit that what I did was my own doing, it's unfair to leave gamers in the dark because Cryptic refuses to inform the person suspended about their suspension nor the length of their suspension.

I'm just wondering about the lack of communication regarding the suspension process and I haven't been able to find out anything through the help files on the site.
  • Options
    cxeronockxcxeronockx Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    It's just frustrating because Cryptic doesn't email you when you are suspended nor do they tell you how long the suspension is for. Not only that, But I can't seem to get any response from customer support over the length of this suspension.

While I'll admit that what I did was my own doing, it's unfair to leave gamers in the dark because Cryptic refuses to inform the person suspended about their suspension nor the length of their suspension.

I'm just wondering about the lack of communication regarding the suspension process and I haven't been able to find out anything through the help files on the site.

Thats happend to me today,no warning when i was into a TFO even not into the teamchat Knipsel.JPG
    Post edited by cxeronockx on
  • Options
    kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    Grats, you win the Necro of the month award.
  • Options
    cxeronockxcxeronockx Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    Grats, you win the Necro of the month award.

You can find that, but the fact is that it apparently cannot or may not be discussed in the Star Trek Online General Discussions section, see https://arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1253691/it-is-now-possible-to-hand-out-a-temporary-account-ban-into-a-tfo , while today I did receive an email from support stating that the concerns about this have been passed on to the services concerned and it can be further discussed on the forum, where they have then decided to close the topic first.