test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Now where did I leave my captain powers?

foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
This is a major annoyance and always has been. It strikes me as odd though, that for something that is a constant, the game can't remember where I slotted my captain powers. Any time I switch ships for trait training, a new ship, or those missions where you get a specific ship to fly, they all clear out your hotbars.

Now I don't know about anyone else, but my hotbars are primarily my captain powers. I use the BOFF bar for the boff powers and never slot weapons in hotbars. So it is nearly always identical from ship to ship, barring ship specific differences like cloaking and of course any console differences, and I don't mind having to reset those places in a hotbar.

But, shouldn't it be possible for the game to actually remember where you slot captain powers since those never change across any build, they are always with you? It seems to me the game should be able to memorize captain powers and when moving to a new ship it slots them first in the old positions, then it can spam all the other stuff in your hotbars after that.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Yes, agreed. Having to reset everything when swapping ships is a major PITA.

I too use the BOFF bar for Boff powers and I don't need weapons on the hotbar either. Can't the game remember that my captain powers are always slotted on the first row? That other things are slotted in the same spaces across all ships?
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,522 Arc User
    It would be nice if it would also remember a setup like mine, where row 2 is always the standard heals / cleanses like science team, engineering team, hazard emitters, polarize hull.

Sure, some of them will be missing but it could put back as much as you have with the new ship's boff power assignments.

• Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Copying the boff/tray layouts the same way it does with gear when picking a new ship would be of the good.
  • Options
    feliseanfelisean Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    as a workaround, take a screenshot from your qbar at another toon, open that one and fix it at the other ;)
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,522 Arc User
    felisean wrote: »
    as a workaround, take a screenshot from your qbar at another toon, open that one and fix it at the other ;)

After 7 years I can do it in my sleep it's just annoying. Especially if I forget and queue for a TFO or start a patrol with a new ship :)
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    My hotbars are pretty much always using the same format. I can set them up pretty fast, but it gets annoying when what you really wanted is the eventual Fleet ship. So, when you ready the Fleet ship, the game should at least remember the non-Fleet version hotbar setup.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User

After 7 years I can do it in my sleep it's just annoying. Especially if I forget and queue for a TFO or start a patrol with a new ship :)
    I occasionally forget, too. :D

I'd feel bad about it, if the game wasn't so easy.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    You couldn't have gotten back into Argala in under three minutes if you left it. The Reimagined Patrols©®™ give you the thirty minute lockout once you leave.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Annoying thing to me is that when they decided to stop the bar populating with boff powers they also stopped captain ones but kept the nonsense ones like fireworks or freighter summon. The most frivolous are given priority over those that are actually used.

They also don't get added while levelling either which is just daft when pretty much every game that gives abilities in the same way will make sure to add them in a way to encourage you to maybe try them out. On PC anyway, PS4 has the opposite where the power wheel populates with anything the game wants so you find unusable trait powers appearing as you rep up that can't get removed.
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User

I don't have a problem remembering what goes where. After 10 years and over a dozen characters, my layout is entirely standardized. That *should* make it pretty easy for the game to remember too. However when I have to go through the powers list, it never fails, I scroll through, slotting the powers one by one and often miss a few and have to scroll back through.

I've done that too. I have since made it a habit to just run Argala first. I put power to weapons, kill the initial ships, then set up the powers while the Benthans stare at me blankly, waiting for a response. Nothing else spawns till I say so. Ninth rule is a good choice too since nothing happens till you get near Madran.
  • Options
    siotaylorsiotaylor Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    For me, it's traits.
    No matter how often, I set them, or on how many toons...
    Jump into a mission, wonder why the power is missing or greyed out, and on checking, the traits are all unloaded. And of course, can't be put back without dropping the mission.
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,413 Arc User
    I'd settle if the hotbar powers reliably ^@#@^#^@#@^#$^@Q#$$^^ activated. But yes, it is annoying to have to constantly reset them over and over across characters and ship swaps.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    siotaylor wrote: »
    For me, it's traits.
    No matter how often, I set them, or on how many toons...
    Jump into a mission, wonder why the power is missing or greyed out, and on checking, the traits are all unloaded. And of course, can't be put back without dropping the mission.

For me, it's the Traits too. They really need to become part of the loadouts.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User
    edited February 2020
    For me is the quickbars: my powers are on quickbar 10. Sometimes I forget that, when you switch ship, the quickbars "reverts" to their "original" status, meaning that where I usually have quickbar 10, now there's quickbar 3 glaring at me.
    The result? I go into an STF and bam... "oh, but didn't I have kemocite on this thing? WHY is it not activating when it's supposed to?"
    A quick glance tells me the reason: I forgot to switch the quickbars... again.

I mean, we can save the HUD on one toon and import it with another. I don't think it will be to hard to have the system remember that no, for god's sake, no I don't have quickbar 3, I have quickbar 10!​​
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    The bar for a new ship always fills with any old keech it can find like emotes and fireworks but ignores the useful ones like trait based abilities. Not rocket science to populate based on combat abilities from the list the player has to scroll through and not have things that are already on screen sitting in the bar.
This discussion has been closed.