test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Winter Event 2019 Feedback

Comments

• Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    To me it's actually a good thing that there are no new events. During the very first winter event, I liked how calm the map was, it really felt like a place where you could relax. Now with so many new missions having been added since that first event, there's always something going on, some event that you are (loudly/intrusively and hence to some point annoyingly) encouraged to participate in, just like on Risa.

I wouldn't mind if they actually removed some events, or made some of them only occur in certain instances and others in other ones (if that's possible).

To continue on this…

I've actually spent less time in each new edition of the Winter event.
    The first time I really enjoyed being there, even if it was just to explore the map and enjoy the environment. The second year was still ok too.

As events kept being added to the map however, I spent ever less time on it, mostly restricting myself to doffing and collecting accolades on new characters and doing the daily race of course.

I get that they are trying to ensure that there's something to do at all times to keep it interesting to the majority of the players. But for me the fact that the Winter map has become ever busier has actually been a reason why I don't spend much time there anymore. The map has started to feel like a regular battlezone like the Voth one, where you are always encouraged to join another fight and join in whatever all other players are doing.

I'd prefer it if the Winter and Summer events map were kept different from that. Even New Romulus feels more like an adventure/exploration map that is suitable to an event taking place during vacation times and that is (I think) supposed to give players some possibility to just relax.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    To me it's actually a good thing that there are no new events.
    well, they revamped a bunch of stuff. Someone actually re-textured the PvE race to have smoother ice.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    I wish they could have offered more hats for the holidays like they did for summer event. After all the ones current right now look like sleepy hats not holiday hats.​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • Options
    truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    At this moment, fatigue has set in...I am event burnt out.
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    just a funny bug, during the snowmen invasion the snow jackal at the left of the fish place uses phaser weapons (pistol or rifle)
  • Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    just a funny bug, during the snowmen invasion the snow jackal at the left of the fish place uses phaser weapons (pistol or rifle)

That is his jolly roger.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    CON:

So far I've failed to get the daily progress from Tides of Ice and the Snowconian one (Cones of Conduct?). I was there and fighting through all the waves of Tides.

Event progress was available, it just wasn't given.
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2019
    For Tides of Ice, I know when you enter, you got to select 'Join the Fight' so then it will count.
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    strathkin wrote: »
    For Tides of Ice, I know when you enter, you got to select 'Join the Fight' so then it will count.

Thanks, it would be nice if this version of the events was more like a TFO or patrol that you select and warp to the area. The way it is now, you can spend 10 minutes fighting snow-borg, get some ornaments, and it still doesn't count for the event because you didn't do some undocumented step.
  • Options
    Some of these events do need some edit and deletion:

-Tide of Ice
    -Cone of Conduct

Hardly anyone participates specially on tide of ice. This is way to early in the season and already empty maps.
    Please consolidate area maps similar to what is being done for Winter invasion to make sure enough people are there to participate in them . These maps have been empty year after year and needs to be deleted, replaced or worked some more.
    I personally dislike Kramp'Ihri but I'm sure other maps could be made with less cooldown like the Snowball fight and even Klingon ice fishing which which are more fun.

Thanks!​​
  • Options
    Tides is the most fun of them IMO. Also you ALWAYS see people in zone chat going nuts coordinating Tides.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    ucgsquawk#5883 ucgsquawk Member Posts: 279 Arc User
    edited December 2019
    Tides if ice is great fun, I've had many full maps (on Xbox though) with lots of players turning out to play it...come very close to zero escaping until they do that darned catapulting glitch.

Quick edit- cones is usually pretty busy as well and has some of the best rewards.
  • Options
    Tides is the most fun of them IMO. Also you ALWAYS see people in zone chat going nuts coordinating Tides.

Agree on the fun part. I tried avoiding Zone chat like the plague since most of the time loonies talk about politics/religion or something mediocre. I might tune back to zone again just on winter event but afraid will pollute my senses again normal-2.gif​​
  • Options
    askatusaskatus Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    Fastest Game on Ice needs a change now that ship tokens can be had from any activity. It's the only thing that isn't on a schedule but it still has a twenty hour cooldown and now rewards next to nothing. I don't see any reason why you should not now be able to run it as often as you like.
    You shoot me down
    But I respawn
    I am duranium!
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    askatus wrote: »
    Fastest Game on Ice needs a change now that ship tokens can be had from any activity. It's the only thing that isn't on a schedule but it still has a twenty hour cooldown and now rewards next to nothing. I don't see any reason why you should not now be able to run it as often as you like.
    I don't see any reason why you should want to run it except for the event progress.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    If it gave more rewards, like some of the other games, that would be a reason.

Otherwise, no, one trinket isn't enough incentive to run it more than once.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 735 Arc User
    I'm here for my ship and admiralty token.
  • Options
    grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    It has become very boring. It needs a drastic upgrade next year. Cryptic needs to ask the players in the game for new ideas.
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • Options
    askatus wrote: »

As usual I think it was a last minute rush copy/paste and they did not care to balance out rewards. Agreed it is a total waste for the timer to go on this one.​​
  • Options
    shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 527 Arc User
    If they could extend or even add a map I would like to see something along the lines of skiing, snowboarding or sledding, Definitely would like to see have ski's, snowboards or sleds just "treked out" like the surf boards on risa .

I also noticed that the klingon scarfs do not show up on the tailor menu where the "collar" tab is. Unless they changed it to someplace else on the menu?
    "There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    monodoso wrote: »
    It has become very boring. It needs a drastic upgrade next year. Cryptic needs to ask the players in the game for new ideas.

I agree and not just the event but a lot of areas in game. Especially PvE. Some dialog between the players and the devs would surely help too. Official pols could be a first start here.

I any case I have much more faith in the creativity of the player base than the development team of this title when it comes to gameplay driven stuff. Hard to belive that an un-official "Bug Bowl" event and an official "Winter Event" both happen(ed) in the same game. :(
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Worst thing they could do, especially this playerbase.
    Given how completely outlandish and impossible many of the ideas posted here are, Cryptic can ask, but that doesn't mean they will happen.
    Yeah ask 20 players the same question and you'll get 20 different answers.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    Worst thing they could do, especially this playerbase.
    Given how completely outlandish and impossible many of the ideas posted here are, Cryptic can ask, but that doesn't mean they will happen.
    Yeah ask 20 players the same question and you'll get 20 different answers.
    Unless you ask them to reply in binary...

binary_o_913698.jpg

• Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »

At least for me, the doff assignments give all the ornaments I need I don't play any of them more than once for the event progress.

But I said "should," not "would." As in, I don't think there should be a reason to run it more than once.

Honestly, as it is now I believe "Fastest Game on Ice" should've been disqualified from the event progress when they put it into the real content, if not removed completely. It's ridiculous players can just cop out of the multiplayer gameplay by walking a lap around the field.

I would replace it with a time-trial contest with a leaderboard and daily rewards for best times of the day. Maybe bigger rewards at the end of the event for best times of the year, too. That would be interesting. Especially with unique rewards.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    warpangel wrote: »
    echatty wrote: »

At least for me, the doff assignments give all the ornaments I need I don't play any of them more than once for the event progress.

But I said "should," not "would." As in, I don't think there should be a reason to run it more than once.

Honestly, as it is now I believe "Fastest Game on Ice" should've been disqualified from the event progress when they put it into the real content, if not removed completely. It's ridiculous players can just cop out of the multiplayer gameplay by walking a lap around the field.

I would replace it with a time-trial contest with a leaderboard and daily rewards for best times of the day. Maybe bigger rewards at the end of the event for best times of the year, too. That would be interesting. Especially with unique rewards.

One reason to keep it is the other events are buggy about awarding progress. If they take it away then they need to make the TFO give progress instead.

I've been there from before start to the end for cones of conduct, talked to the mayor, gotten the mission, spent the time shooting, gathering, filling and NOT gotten my daily progress.

I've done the full 9 waves of tides of ice after clicking on Join the fight, and NOT gotten my daily progress.

Klingon Ice Fishing always seems to give progress if you play through at least one gathering - then -fighting sequence. No complaints there.
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    for me this is the contrary, even when the daily progress is done, I keep getting the token in my inventory.

something must be done for the missions of this event. After a moment, Tides of ice or cones of conduct become really boring, because most of the time there aren't enough players, and it is too repetitive.

• Options
    askatusaskatus Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    Well it appears I forgot two other events that are not on the schedule: Winter Invasion, and the pie eating contest. Neither one gives the daily event token and they are both on a short cooldown. So maybe Fastest Game should be similar to the pie contest, with a 15 minute cooldown and reward different amounts based on how fast you finish it. As Warpangel suggests, take the event token off, and put it on the snowball fight, which I just discovered doesn't count even though it looks like it should. It just gives people something else to do in the ten minutes after the Snowverlord dies.
    You shoot me down
    But I respawn
    I am duranium!
  • Options
    grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    > @monodoso said:
    > It has become very boring. It needs a drastic upgrade next year. Cryptic needs to ask the players in the game for new ideas.

Worst thing they could do, especially this playerbase.[/quote

A fellow player brought up a idea about polls. I would say if Cryptic could throw some ideas by the playerbase I would be ok with that
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
This discussion has been closed.