test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Target That Explosion Starship Trait causing Java errors in combatlog

Using the Starship Trait: Target That Explosion causes Java errors in the combatlog every time that it is activated. This causes all combatlog parsers to be unable to read the combatlog, giving this error: Error: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 7

The string listed with the error varies based on the target and the damage giver, but always ends with TargetThatExplosion.

This has been going on since the last shard maintenance for the week ending November 23, 2019.

If it helps, my complete build is here: https://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/23769584b7bbc1930e5de605d6d27d38
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    If it's a java error, then the combat parser needs to be updated, as STO is not programmed in Java, and third party applications has nothing to do with the main game. I don't know who developed the parser, but you should contact them
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    captainmorris001captainmorris001 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    gaevsman wrote: »
    If it's a java error, then the combat parser needs to be updated, as STO is not programmed in Java, and third party applications has nothing to do with the main game. I don't know who developed the parser, but you should contact them

It was working fine before the last patch. The problem is that the trait is leaving bad info in the combatlog, making it so that all of the parsers...all of them...are unable to parse any combat if a participant is using this one particular trait. That is a Cryptic/ STO problem. It is a Java error, but it's being caused by bad info in the combatlog.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    'bad' info in the combat log is not a problem for Cryptic / STO since it's working as intended ingame, the fact it's suddenly not working with a third party program is not really their concern most likely.
  • Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    gaevsman wrote: »

It was working fine before the last patch. The problem is that the trait is leaving bad info in the combatlog, making it so that all of the parsers...all of them...are unable to parse any combat if a participant is using this one particular trait. That is a Cryptic/ STO problem. It is a Java error, but it's being caused by bad info in the combatlog.

Ok, you mean that the file that the STO client generate is bad?, or perhapts they just changed the format?. i dont have a sample, so i dont know. I'm asking this questions, because the more info the devs have, the easier for them is to fix it.
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    crypticspartan#0627 crypticspartan Member Posts: 847 Cryptic Developer
    In the patch referenced, the display name of the damage event changed from Torpedo to Target That Explosion.
    This was intended to make it clearer in the damage recap/combat log/combat chat tab as to what damage was actually from this trait.

However, there was a linebreak included in the new name. This has no effect in game, but causes a linebreak to happen in the combat log itself. It's understandable how this could cause parsers issues, and I made a change to remove that linebreak that will go out in a future patch.

Until then, if there's a combat log file you need a parser to read, you can do a find and replace in the combat log file to replace
    "Target That Explosion
    "
    with
    Target That Explosion
  • Options
    alzleealzlee Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    > @crypticspartan#0627 said:
    > In the patch referenced, the display name of the damage event changed from Torpedo to Target That Explosion.
    > This was intended to make it clearer in the damage recap/combat log/combat chat tab as to what damage was actually from this trait.
    >
    > However, there was a linebreak included in the new name. This has no effect in game, but causes a linebreak to happen in the combat log itself. It's understandable how this could cause parsers issues, and I made a change to remove that linebreak that will go out in a future patch.
    >
    > Until then, if there's a combat log file you need a parser to read, you can do a find and replace in the combat log file to replace
    > (Quote)
    > with(Quote)

Thanks for the heads up haven't had this issue since no room for the trait :)
  • Options
    captainmorris001captainmorris001 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    In the patch referenced, the display name of the damage event changed from Torpedo to Target That Explosion.
    This was intended to make it clearer in the damage recap/combat log/combat chat tab as to what damage was actually from this trait.

However, there was a linebreak included in the new name. This has no effect in game, but causes a linebreak to happen in the combat log itself. It's understandable how this could cause parsers issues, and I made a change to remove that linebreak that will go out in a future patch.

Until then, if there's a combat log file you need a parser to read, you can do a find and replace in the combat log file to replace
    "Target That Explosion
    "
    with
    Target That Explosion

That makes perfect sense, and thank you for looking into it for us!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]