test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Bring in the waddle ! (Playable Tzenkethi and Tholians)

Greetings and salutations sentients.

I'd like to promote an idea I had pitched before, and that is to introduce non-humanoid playable races, namely the Tzenkethi and Tholians.

There really is no excuse to claim that it is not possible due to any game-engine issues after the playable Tzenkethi episode. The same goes for Tholians - if it's available as an NPC in-game, that character file can be adapted to a playable one.

However, playing these larger, different races during regular episodes obviously bring limitations - which is actually the point.

Tzenkethi and Tholians cannot sit in the current chairs, or handle current Fed/KDF/Rom weapons or wear any of their uniforms. And that is awesome.

Why ? Well first it makes canon-sense, so there is no immediate need to make them fit - I'm sure there is a visual work-around possible for the episode cutscenes when absolutely required. But most importantly it forces us as players to look for a different approach to ordinary problems. Limitations breeds creativity, to steal a phrase.

Both Tzenkethi and Tholians have a current (build-in) weapon set and EV-like suits, so as a starting point that side is covered. Kits and kit-powers are not visually displayed so that's not an issue either.

Tzenkethi are slower, Tholians faster. Their playstyles can be adapted to take advantage of those traits and build-in certain balancing weaknesses as required.

I have no doubt that there will be another STO-recruitment event soon(tm), but many of us are already burned-out over leveling yet another humanoid alt(s).

Break the mold and do somethine new and radical !

Marcase

C2obgcrUUAApqbH.jpg
Marcase-Medal-banner-2.png
The Mighty 44th. Boldly bashing Borgs to bits since 2010.

Comments

• Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    They've already said that Tzenkethi can't be playable and why. Not sure about Tholians, but I'd bet they can't be playable either.

Personally, I wouldn't want to play either.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,265 Arc User
    Any playable characters outside the basic humanoid shape are high unlikely in any foreseeble future, the devs have explained that due the way the current outfits work they're really hard to be made workble on a non-humanoid shape and I doubt most players would be satisfied with species selection with just 1 outfit or at most a handful of preset outfits avaible to them ever due to all other outfits being unuseble on those models.

They can't even get digigrade feet for caitians/ferasans why would you think they'd get the gear to work on a totally different body sphape.

And having their own unique set of gear is a total no go since it would be way too much work, also both tholians and Tzenkethi can use normal weapons, they choose not to but they got the physical ability for it.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,040 Community Moderator
    They're not compatable with all the animations our humanoid characters.
    spiritborn wrote: »
    They can't even get digigrade feet for caitians/ferasans why would you think they'd get the gear to work on a totally different body sphape.

Caitians can have their paw like feet... if they go barefoot, which I believe is only available in Off Duty outfits.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited September 2019
    I would not mind if they added them as a hologram disguise though. Maybe one that breaks upon combat. It would be nice if they could do that at least as playble races I don't think they will ever do it. Given their models and the animations and everything. But it shouldn't stop them from making them like a disguse though. Game could totally use some latium store options. Tholians at least would be nice for that mold.
  • Options
    bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    marcase2 wrote: »
    Greetings and salutations sentients.

I'd like to promote an idea I had pitched before, and that is to introduce non-humanoid playable races, namely the Tzenkethi and Tholians.

There really is no excuse to claim that it is not possible due to any game-engine issues after the playable Tzenkethi episode. The same goes for Tholians - if it's available as an NPC in-game, that character file can be adapted to a playable one.

However, playing these larger, different races during regular episodes obviously bring limitations - which is actually the point.

Tzenkethi and Tholians cannot sit in the current chairs, or handle current Fed/KDF/Rom weapons or wear any of their uniforms. And that is awesome.

Why ? Well first it makes canon-sense, so there is no immediate need to make them fit - I'm sure there is a visual work-around possible for the episode cutscenes when absolutely required. But most importantly it forces us as players to look for a different approach to ordinary problems. Limitations breeds creativity, to steal a phrase.

Both Tzenkethi and Tholians have a current (build-in) weapon set and EV-like suits, so as a starting point that side is covered. Kits and kit-powers are not visually displayed so that's not an issue either.

Tzenkethi are slower, Tholians faster. Their playstyles can be adapted to take advantage of those traits and build-in certain balancing weaknesses as required.

I have no doubt that there will be another STO-recruitment event soon(tm), but many of us are already burned-out over leveling yet another humanoid alt(s).

Break the mold and do somethine new and radical !

Marcase

C2obgcrUUAApqbH.jpg

Waiting for a playable full 100% BORG before this but hope they bring EVERYTHING on.​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,340 Community Moderator
    This has already been answered by the devs as a no. /Thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.