test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Help a returning player identify a weapon/console/thingy?

discoricediscorice Member Posts: 45 Arc User
edited August 2019 in The Academy
I'm a soon to be returning pc player. I left the game just before experimental weapons were introduced, and have been watching gameplay videos on youtube to try to catch up. In these videos I've noticed a weapon that seems to fire 6-ish smallish red shells from the aft that then travel forward. I don't believe they're torpedoes as the trajectory is far outside that of any torpedo I've seen. Might be a console? Does this sound familiar to anyone?
It can be seen here just after the 2:26 mark. https://youtu.be/He7w6-QovyE?t=144
Fear Of A Disco Planet

Comments

• odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    discorice wrote: »
    I'm a soon to be returning pc player. I left the game just before experimental weapons were introduced, and have been watching gameplay videos on youtube to try to catch up. In these videos I've noticed a weapon that seems to fire 6-ish smallish red shells from the aft that then travel forward. I don't believe they're torpedoes as the trajectory is far outside that of any torpedo I've seen. Might be a console? Does this sound familiar to anyone?
    It can be seen here just after the 2:26 mark. https://youtu.be/He7w6-QovyE?t=144

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Terran_Task_Force_Munitions#Terran_Task_Force_Dual_Heavy_Cannons

Not an experimental Weapon..Funny bug tho.

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• discoricediscorice Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    Wow really? I've never seen my terran dual heavies do that!
    Fear Of A Disco Planet
    That would explain though why, pausing and reading the parse on that video, I haven't seen anything at all that I've been able to chase down that matches that description. That said, that's not the only place I've seen that bug, and when those projectiles hit they seemed to coincide with some big booms (yes I'm aware the terran disruptors hit damned hard). Crazy business.
    Fear Of A Disco Planet
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,635 Arc User
    edited August 2019
    Wow really? I've never seen my terran dual heavies do that!
    That would explain though why, pausing and reading the parse on that video, I haven't seen anything at all that I've been able to chase down that matches that description. That said, that's not the only place I've seen that bug, and when those projectiles hit they seemed to coincide with some big booms (yes I'm aware the terran disruptors hit damned hard). Crazy business.

Only the project Terran Weapons look like that, as the regular Withering Heavy Disruptors you get as drops from the daily/hourly and Store are smaller. Cannon: Scatter Volley also got it's arc increased to either side of the primary target some time back, which is some of the oddness you're seeing being used to the older limits. The 'sweep' when targets move quickly has been around for quite some time, though more common lately, particularly if you left before cannons came back into favor. The "big booms" are https://sto.gamepedia.com/Ability:_Kemocite-Laced_Weaponry procs.
    I was always a cannons/pilot ship guy (primarily tac pilot raptor and D4X). Kinda glad to hear cannons are getting some love. The Terran Task Force dual heavy (not the plain withering disruptors) was always in my ship builds, and I recognized the kemocite (I ran it on my builds). I was making reference to those big yellow numbers (big booms). I'm sure quite a lot will look different when I actually get down to playing again. I've heard the fancy science consoles took a big hit. Figuring out what to replace them with or if I actually need to will be an adventure.
    Fear Of A Disco Planet
  • odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    I was always a cannons/pilot ship guy (primarily tac pilot raptor and D4X). Kinda glad to hear cannons are getting some love. The Terran Task Force dual heavy (not the plain withering disruptors) was always in my ship builds, and I recognized the kemocite (I ran it on my builds). I was making reference to those big yellow numbers (big booms). I'm sure quite a lot will look different when I actually get down to playing again. I've heard the fancy science consoles took a big hit. Figuring out what to replace them with or if I actually need to will be an adventure.

What Fancy science console? Embassy Plasma Explosion Consoles? Yea those got nerfed a while ago.. No reason to run that stuff unless your on sci ship now. Many players are focusing on Boosting Phaser, Disruptor or Polaron weapon damage and/or going full into Critical hit and Severity 30+ Hit and 220+ severity passives

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

Yeah, the plasma explosion consoles. Kind of a bummer, but it makes sense from a developer's point of view. Also it's kind of exciting that there's room to play with the science slots. So many new traits and consoles to catch up on now... Thinking I might give the piloting modifications set another go on the ol' pilot raptor (even though I'm sure the nausicaan set will outpace the damage output significantly). It wasn't terribly great before, even if it was kind of fun. I want the cannon and torpedo buffs from that set to be better than they actually are, I guess. Seeing what you can juice up is half the fun though, right?

My D4X though, will be getting a PVP oriented overhaul. Not something I'm great at in STO, but I like that those builds get really weird. Again there, theory crafting is as much fun as actually flying the mean little buggers.
    Fear Of A Disco Planet