test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Sompek Returning /Opinion Section 31 rifle.

Comments

• Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,794 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Forget about options, they just want to get people through the bloody thing as soon as they can. Same that they did with the 'Into the Breach' Event. The Event version was deliberately made shorter than the normal TFO.

People complained about grinding Events, well they are cutting down the grind.

People are missing the important point, after the Featured TFO run, Sompek will become a regular TFO that can be run anytime. Then all the Accolades and strutting can be done anytime for those so inclined.

Just hope that the Event version, will be modified to unlock the Emote at 7 rather than 22.

(emphasis added)

Yes, but they could have allowed people to go through it quickly by keeping the short version and the longer one. In fact, by forcing everyone (including the former 5-rounders) to go to 7, they're actually making everyone worse off.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,331 Community Moderator
    I asked for clarification, folks, and the infinite version will not be available until after the FTFO event ends.

Thanks for the additional clarification. Even though I do not really understand why it wasn't clear for everyone.

I'm still wondering why they're doing it this way though. Giving players fewer options is almost never a good idea.

If I had to guess as to why the change was made, I'd venture that it had to do with that subset of the "5 and die" players, who would PUG the untimed version, intentionally die, and ruin the run for those seeking the accolades.

Now, one can argue the merits of pugging or having a premade team when seeking the accolades, but you're obviously going to run the unlimited version to do so. And it's obvious from this change that the limited version was meant for those just seeking the daily.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    they should add this to the competitive section of the ques and make the untimed the elite version... after X rounds you get elite mark... the further you go the more elite marks & regular marks you get.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,325 Arc User
    So.. how do you folks feel about the 7 round version for the event and the arrival of the unlimited version as TFO once the event is over.
    Personally 7 rounds doesn't really feel like doing anything in Sompek. The fun used to start at round 30-40 when the NPC started to become a bit dangerous. Before that was merely setting up various traps and kill zones.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I've never done Sompek before, so I kind of like that we only have to do seven rounds. I'll also be doing them over multiple accounts, so that helps too. If I feel like it, I may try out the longer one after the event to see how I do.

I'm just not the best at ground, it's why I've never done it before. Only doing it now to finish out the coupon progress.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    So.. how do you folks feel about the 7 round version for the event and the arrival of the unlimited version as TFO once the event is over.
    Personally 7 rounds doesn't really feel like doing anything in Sompek. The fun used to start at round 30-40 when the NPC started to become a bit dangerous. Before that was merely setting up various traps and kill zones.
    5-and-die is now fully DEAD. YAY!!!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »
    I hear the sabotage kit item helps a lot too with enemy constructs.

indeed, I have never done sompek, but sabotage is really helpul against the disco terran who spawn a lot of turrets.
  • Options
    echatty wrote: »
    I hear the sabotage kit item helps a lot too with enemy constructs.

indeed, I have never done sompek, but sabotage is really helpul against the disco terran who spawn a lot of turrets.

Or against the elachi.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    5-and-die is now fully DEAD. YAY!!!

Well, people could still do it when the event version is not running, but there wouldn't be much point.
    Forget about options, they just want to get people through the bloody thing as soon as they can. Same that they did with the 'Into the Breach' Event. The Event version was deliberately made shorter than the normal TFO.

People complained about grinding Events, well they are cutting down the grind.

People are missing the important point, after the Featured TFO run, Sompek will become a regular TFO that can be run anytime. Then all the Accolades and strutting can be done anytime for those so inclined.

Just hope that the Event version, will be modified to unlock the Emote at 7 rather than 22.

(emphasis added)

Yes, but they could have allowed people to go through it quickly by keeping the short version and the longer one. In fact, by forcing everyone (including the former 5-rounders) to go to 7, they're actually making everyone worse off.

Meh, it's not that much worse, and it still protects those who just want the reward from getting on a team full of tryhards at random, and having at least 20 minutes wasted. Now you'll only be stuck there for a little bit longer than the old minimum, and it will only extend to 20 minutes if you're all absolutely terrible. For those that want to test their mettle, there will be every other day that the featured version isn't running to do so, so probably better than 90% of the time. This solution means that nobody is getting forced to do something that they don't want to do by anyone except the developers, and then only during the time of the featured version. That relieves any tension among the player community that differing goals caused.

Making the old version a permanent addition, except when the featured version is running, will also help with some of the harder-to-find enemy groups for ground accolades.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    I asked for clarification, folks, and the infinite version will not be available until after the FTFO event ends.

Thanks for the additional clarification. Even though I do not really understand why it wasn't clear for everyone.

I'm still wondering why they're doing it this way though. Giving players fewer options is almost never a good idea.

If I had to guess as to why the change was made, I'd venture that it had to do with that subset of the "5 and die" players, who would PUG the untimed version, intentionally die, and ruin the run for those seeking the accolades.

Now, one can argue the merits of pugging or having a premade team when seeking the accolades, but you're obviously going to run the unlimited version to do so. And it's obvious from this change that the limited version was meant for those just seeking the daily.
    Yes. Although in many people's opinions, that was already obvious from the 20min version. But of course peeps wouldn't agree on that and it got into big arguments over 5&D and which version was meant for just getting the token.

So I do believe now they're holding back the unlimited version until after the event to forestall any further controversy over the versions. And possibly to avoid folks who are not paying attention from accidentally ending up in the wrong one.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Those people that got into the wrong version were the same ones that couldn't find their way out of the old Exploration Clusters. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    Those people that got into the wrong version were the same ones that couldn't find their way out of the old Exploration Clusters. :)
    It wasn't that people couldn't figure out HOW to leave, it's that they couldn't figure out why they were there in the first place and would keep exploring because they thought there was story hidden in there, and there wasn't.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    If the unlimited version is becoming a standard TFO, won't it be part of the RTF system; and therefore, I suspect it will be one of the more abandoned queues.

"The failure condition of having all players dead simultaneously has been removed from the Event version of the map."

So, the failure condition returns when the unlimited version returns.

I like Sompek, so it'll be interesting to see how this all plays out.
  • Options
    I have never done sompek, like I said before. After reading a lot of comments, I'm going to try this year sompek; I can't fight against my curiosity :p

what i must know? and it works?
  • Options
    I have never done sompek, like I said before. After reading a lot of comments, I'm going to try this year sompek; I can't fight against my curiosity :p

In the new un-failable 7-wave event version? Not much, just kill enemies until you win.
  • Options
    ok, lol. :)
  • Options
    warpangel wrote: »

In the new un-failable 7-wave event version? Not much, just kill enemies until you win.
    Also, don't stand in stuff. :p Especially the puddle.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    well, first time in sompek with my ferengi engineer. I don't know the old version, but this new one is really easy; my drones did all the job :p
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    First for me too, and I did it through all the accts I usually play to get them stuff.

Sure some of the family's toons went down at least once, but we stayed the course.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    I did at least 7 runs today got KOed only once, and that was because I was the last person on the team.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options

Since dying won't fail it anymore, who cares just hit respawn. :D
    well, first time in sompek with my ferengi engineer. I don't know the old version, but this new one is really easy; my drones did all the job :p
    Well, in the old version you would lose if everyone was dead at the same time (not that I'd ever seen it fail before the reward point), so yes the new version is easier that way. But it's not like the old one wasn't already easy to begin with.
  • Options

Since dying won't fail it anymore, who cares just hit respawn. :D
    Well, the less often you die the sooner it's over. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    Does anybody venture yet to do the untimed version? For some reason I still don't get it. The only ones I can do is the 7 wave version.
    It's supposed to be triggered automatically once you do your dailies?

IMO this is ridiculous and they should had let the options in place in the queues. It is confusing as it stands now. I don't see yet many folks looking for teams for this untimed version challenge. Sim channel, accolade channel and others that used to be full of people looking for a challenge have quiet down?

Anyone know of a good active channel that does the AoS untimed version as a team?​​
  • Options
    The Untimed will not be available until the Event is over then the Untimed version will be a standard TFO available every day until another Sompek Event comes along.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    The Untimed will not be available until the Event is over then the Untimed version will be a standard TFO available every day until another Sompek Event comes along.

So glad I asked. Thanks for clarifying this further. In a nutshell then this entire event has been nerfed temporarily. Yikes.​​
  • Options
    They made it short and easy to do the Event and addressed the five and die syndrome. This Sompek does not end if all five are dead simultaneously either. You just resurrect and continue on until you kill the Boss in Round 7, then it automatically ends.

The Marks Award will be for the 4-6 completed rounds as you do not finish the 7th. Mark payout will be 13 plus the Daily Bonus if applicable., so 68 max.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    I'm going to be passing on the event. It just doesn't interest me at all anymore. If the reward was better than I would change my mind.
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • Options
    Honestly i hate the 7 round version.
    Just doing it to get my hands on the reward, but i used to do Sompek for fun and challenge. Bleh.
  • Options
    Then do it after the Event. You can have 321-344 days of fun all year.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    The Reward is an Account Unlock Phaser Rifle, 500 Fleet Marks, 250 Marks of your choice, and 50,000 Dilitium.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
This discussion has been closed.