test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Playing as Klingon

pappyvanwinkle#0535 pappyvanwinkle Member Posts: 3 Arc User
ok so forget that a lot of the missions are just rehashed for older ones but as I'm playing descovery as a klingon most the missions I have to fight and kill other Klingons. WTF how lazy can you get ??????
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Its not lazy. Its a "historical simulation" in order to familiarize you with the tactics used by J'Ula in the 23rd Century, so that you will be better prepared to face the real J'Ula in the 25th Century when she reveals herself.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    ok so forget that a lot of the missions are just rehashed for older ones but as I'm playing descovery as a klingon most the missions I have to fight and kill other Klingons. WTF how lazy can you get ??????

Not nearly as lazy as you for not reading the explanation of why you're fighting Klingons.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    You're complaining about playing as a Klingon, fighting against and killing other Klingons? You don't know Klingons very well, do you?
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    Yeah, one does not get to play "AS a Klingon" just "LOOK like a Klingon" as you play. That goes for all the other "races", too.

Playing as a different race...that is what the Foundry missions were good for.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    I don't really care for Klingon's myself, I just don't see the appeal in them. I only made a Gorn on the KDF side although I actually wish I could play as them on the Fed side.
  • Options
    avoozuul wrote: »
    I don't really care for Klingon's myself, I just don't see the appeal in them. I only made a Gorn on the KDF side although I actually wish I could play as them on the Fed side.

More or less the same here, only replace Gorn with Orion. If I feel like playing a Klingon, I could just use a Starfleet Klingon and rarely play my KDF characters anymore.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    tyler002 wrote: »
    avoozuul wrote: »

More or less the same here, only replace Gorn with Orion. If I feel like playing a Klingon, I could just use a Starfleet Klingon and rarely play my KDF characters anymore.
    Fed orions are trivial to do with a custom alien. You would have to source your own bikinis, though.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Could you stop with that "AlienGen" TRIBBLE? Nothing personal, but I'm kinda sick of hearing about it.
  • Options
    Dude... why the hostility all of a sudden?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Like I said, I'm just sick of hearing "Just make an Alien" all the time. It's become something of a pet peeve of mine.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    You should probably calm down.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    Orions don't really fit in well with Starfleet - the behavioral and pheromone modifications they'd have to undergo to function in a Starfleet environment would probably violate at least a few Federation laws. As for Gorn, while there's little practical reason not to let them enlist, I imagine there are some pretty severe psychological and sociological restrictions among the Gorn themselves that would lead to only a very few individuals jumping ship (if you'll pardon the expression) like that. Not really worth messing with the available races, and risking breaking everything in the process.

Besides, as we saw at the signing of the Temporal Accords, future Federation won't require species to abandon their native ways to work with the UFP - the Federation ambassador for the event was a Klingon, in full furry regalia.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    Well... we do see Gaila in the Kelvin Timeline, and we did see an Orion in a Terran uniform in Enterprise.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    jonsills wrote: »
    Orions don't really fit in well with Starfleet - the behavioral and pheromone modifications they'd have to undergo to function in a Starfleet environment would probably violate at least a few Federation laws.

That makes no sense. Requiring them to not use their mind control abilities on their fellow officers is not a violation of Federation Law, the reverse would be the violation. They cannot typically control them and would have to supress them one way or another to work alongside anyone who isn't another female Orion, including in the KDF.

By your logic, they should be removed as both playable and Boffs entirely. Unless you reckon the Klingons are fine with their male warriors being mind controlled by Orion captains.
    jonsills wrote: »
    Besides, as we saw at the signing of the Temporal Accords, future Federation won't require species to abandon their native ways to work with the UFP - the Federation ambassador for the event was a Klingon, in full furry regalia.

Completely irrelevant to Orions serving in Starfleet. Having an ability that automatically enslaves all sapient males in the vicinity is not their "way of life", it's a part of their biology (their culture was based on that ability, rather than the other way around). Of course anyone who joins Starfleet would have to give up on enslaving sapient life and anyone who joins Starfleet is likely the type who would want to supress that ability, anyway.

But why is this even being debated, anyway? The first comment replied to wasn't even a request for playable Federation Orions and this is off topic. The topic was originally about someone who doesn't know Klingons very well complaining about Klingons killing simulated Klingons.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    tyler002 wrote: »
    But why is this even being debated, anyway? The first comment replied to wasn't even a request for playable Federation Orions and this is off topic. The topic was originally about someone who doesn't know Klingons very well complaining about Klingons killing simulated Klingons.
    This is being discussed (not "debated") because someone else mentioned it. Same for the Gorn, who weren't part of the OP either. It's called a "conversation". We're not working by the rules of a formal debate.

The KDF would actually be fine with a captain mind-controlling their subordinates - the Klingon ethos is supposed to require instant obedience anyway. (And a Klingon would think anyone "weak" enough to succumb to such control would deserve whatever happened to them, while being smugly certain that they would never fall to "mere pheromones"...) On the other hand, any crew so controlled would find themselves having trouble bringing any degree of initiative to their tasks, so such problems would likely work themselves out over time.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    It should be noted that the Orion phermones effect different species differently, so it's possible that klingons are immune in lore (in game it obviously effects everyone the same way, since it's more simple to design and program that way).

Also we should remember that the orion themselves are a sapient species and are capable of limiting themselves should it serve their purpose, so supressing the phermones would be rational for them if the alternative would be not being able to serve where they wanted (or death).
  • Options
    claudiusdkclaudiusdk Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited June 2019
    Klingons fight klingons all the time. Whats the problem?
    Always some Klingon House and their allies that don't like the current leadership and their direction, or they just wants power for themself, and other houses that don't wanna see those houses in power or want it themself aswell.
    So fighting starts.
    "Please, Captain, not in front of the Klingons."
    Spock to Kirk, as Kirk is about to hug him.
    Star Trek V: "The Final Frontier"
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    Also we should remember that the orion themselves are a sapient species and are capable of limiting themselves should it serve their purpose, so supressing the phermones would be rational for them if the alternative would be not being able to serve where they wanted (or death).
    Also if the ability was always on all the time it'd wreck society.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    Also if the ability was always on all the time it'd wreck society.
    At least if was always on at "full blast". It's possible it's always on but on lower level where males find orion female more intriguing then other females but not to extent that it causes issues, though by same token at this level orion female aren't capable of just commanding males in the room to do their every whim.
  • Options
    CHSYw.jpg
    Just because there was one in the Kelvin Timeline in Starfleet doesn't mean there couldn't be one in Starfleet in the Prime Timeline.
    Also...
    latest?cb=20100618234545&path-prefix=en
    There were Orion officers in the Mirror Universe at least in the 22nd Century. One served aboard the ISS Avenger.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    There are orions in Starfleet as boffs and doffs, just not playable.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    There are orions in Starfleet as boffs and doffs, just not playable.
    In-game this is presented as a cultural exchange sort of thing. They're not part of normal recruitment.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
This discussion has been closed.