test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Crystalline catastrophe

vector22204#9451 vector22204 Member Posts: 142 Arc User
Just out of curiosity why has the usage of the crystalline catastrophe tfo dropped?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• alexanderb#7559 alexanderb Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    Yes they changed it a while ago. The one we got earlier as event, is now the standard for the crystalline TFO. It's more difficult so it's not as populair anymore.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    They changed it so you spend aprox 25% to 50% of the run time sitting AFK watching timers which is no fun. The changes made it less fun to play so people stopped playing it.
  • pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    CC was the most time to dill efficient TFO in the game by three or four orders of magnitude. Being completable in less time then it took for all participants to spawn in.

It's not so much a wonder that it received some time gates. Honestly I am surprised that Infected and cure haven't been 'improved' as well.
    CC was the most time to dill efficient TFO in the game by three or four orders of magnitude. Being completable in less time then it took for all participants to spawn in.

It's not so much a wonder that it received some time gates. Honestly I am surprised that Infected and cure haven't been 'improved' as well.
    I thought Infected did have the time gate added. Although to be fair the starting time gate doesn't really bother me in fact as I use mines it gives me an advantage.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Infected got a 30 second timer today.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    infected completion time + 30 seconds is still a third or less of the time it takes to complete newer TFOs.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    2 reasons why CCN/CCA queuing has dropped. First, the random TFO system added bonus rewards for queuing up random which only applies to 5 person queues. CCN/CCA being a 10 person queue suffered as a result. Second, the above mentioned changes to CCN/CCA made the queue less appealing from a time/reward perspective.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    They changed it so you spend aprox 25% to 50% of the run time sitting AFK watching timers which is no fun. The changes made it less fun to play so people stopped playing it.
    If by "fun" you mean fast to grind, you're correct.
    warpangel wrote: »
    I never played it for the grind, it was done daily by me because it was fun but the changes stopped that as its rubbish now.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    Just out of curiosity why has the usage of the crystalline catastrophe tfo dropped?

I suppose peeps did not like the changes made to that map in the long run and/or tend to a wider variety of content distributed via the rtfo system now.

I made a poll back then. Roughly 1/3 of the players liked the old CC better.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1242982/crystalline-catastrophe-vs-crystalline-cataclysm/p1
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    The timer on defeating the Entity was 5 minutes for the Bonus. People were completing it in 20%-25% of that. Now it is what around 40%-50%. So instead of a minute to a minute and a quarter, you need to spend two to two and a half minutes.

'What a world, what a world.'

https://youtu.be/j7GJcKuVGm8
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited May 2019
    ltminns wrote: »
    The timer on defeating the Entity was 5 minutes for the Bonus. People were completing it in 20%-25% of that. Now it is what around 40%-50%. So instead of a minute to a minute and a quarter, you need to spend two to two and a half minutes.

Yea. All in all a set back for min/maxers. No matter if they are after DPS (fun) or RPS (rewards per second). :p
    animated.gif
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited May 2019
    I actually play it more now then I did before the change. :lol:
    Insert witty signature line here.
    I never played it for the grind, it was done daily by me because it was fun but the changes stopped that as its rubbish now.
    In that case, if by "people" you mean just you...well, whatever.

People in general have played it less after the update, because it's not as fast to grind anymore.
    edited May 2019

People in general have played it less after the update, because it's not as fast to grind anymore.

That does not include me either. I played CCa the last time for recourses when the nukara rep was a thing. Oh yea, i did the CC events as well on a single toon to unlock the acc wide reward. Just because you are obsessed with rewards does not mean the rest is as well. ;)

Much like ISA CCA used to be a map to test how impactfull certain builds can be.
    animated.gif
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Wasn't particularly fun before thanks to the possibility of the spawning in as the thing was on it's last legs. Might have got the reward but not worth the loading screens to get it.
  • zerokillcf2011zerokillcf2011 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    Heck I remember when you needed a planned group to be able to hit the 5 min reward. And the first couple of times they ran the even (back before T6) it often took 10-15 min on a random pug.
    edited May 2019

That does not include me either. I played CCa the last time for recourses when the nukara rep was a thing. Oh yea, i did the CC events as well on a single toon to unlock the acc wide reward. Just because you are obsessed with rewards does not mean the rest is as well. ;)

Much like ISA CCA used to be a map to test how impactfull certain builds can be.
    Yeah, sure, all the bazillion people were there day in and day out just to repeatedly test how impactful their builds were, and not at all to get in 60 seconds the same amount of dil that most content takes 10+ minutes. :p

I'd bet half the pugs in CCA didn't even know what a build was much less how to test one. They were there because it was fast and easy. And now that it's (slightly) less fast and easy, most of them aren't there anymore.
    edited May 2019

Yeah, sure, all the bazillion people were there day in and day out just to repeatedly test how impactful their builds were, and not at all to get in 60 seconds the same amount of dil that most content takes 10+ minutes. :p

I'd bet half the pugs in CCA didn't even know what a build was much less how to test one. They were there because it was fast and easy. And now that it's (slightly) less fast and easy, most of them aren't there anymore.
    Many of them did just to test builds. For some the dill is a none factor as what you get form CCA is meaningless and tiny for the amount of time it takes.

Not everyone ran the old CCA for the low dill rewards for time played and not everyone who stopped playing it did so because it takes longer and the rewards went down for time played. Like a lot of people from the group channels I used CCA as one of my testing grounds. But now we spend half the mission waiting in time gates its no fun and no use for that.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I play it some still these days - mostly for the kill tholian ships endeavor. it is weird to sit waiting 2 minutes for crystal.

also i love it for offering 1st - 3rd place and for the fleet marks.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Many of them did just to test builds. For some the dill is a none factor as what you get form CCA is meaningless and tiny for the amount of time it takes.

Not everyone ran the old CCA for the low dill rewards for time played and not everyone who stopped playing it did so because it takes longer and the rewards went down for time played. Like a lot of people from the group channels I used CCA as one of my testing grounds. But now we spend half the mission waiting in time gates its no fun and no use for that.
    Yeah, and see where do I talk about "group channels?" I was quite clear I'm talking about public queues.
    edited May 2019

Yeah, and see where do I talk about "group channels?" I was quite clear I'm talking about public queues.

Most peeps from the channels dont use the channels just to check out build stuff (thats for records). You just pug cuz there is nothing like the open water. Oh, and there is nothing like waiting for 10 peeps to get ready in a lobby either. :D
    animated.gif

As peterconnorfirst said lots of us from the various group channels used the public queues as a testing ground or for fun. So when we stopped due to the changes which had nothing to do with dill rewards the public CCA queue suddenly lost a batch of active players. Which is part of the reason why it now takes so long to start.

As peterconnorfirst said lots of us from the various group channels used the public queues as a testing ground or for fun. So when we stopped due to the changes which had nothing to do with dill rewards the public CCA queue suddenly lost a batch of active players. Which is part of the reason why it now takes so long to start.
    Sure, keep on pretending you and your friends are the majority if not the totality of STO's playerbase if it makes you happy.
    edited May 2019

Sure, keep on pretending you and your friends are the majority if not the totality of STO's playerbase if it makes you happy.
    Its got nothing to do with pretending or being happy. I was just explaining and answering the question and I never said we are the majority. All I was doing was pointing out 1000's of players in the group channels stopped playing the PUG queue and that it had nothing to do with dill/mark rewards which is part of the reason why the queue doesn't pop as much.

The mark/dill reward of CE was never really that good or worth while and not all players ran CE due to marks/dill. Like it or not the group channels make up a large amount of people and they do impact the queues popping. They are not the only reason but they are part of the reason CE doesn't pop as much.

Its got nothing to do with pretending or being happy. I was just explaining and answering the question and I never said we are the majority. All I was doing was pointing out 1000's of players in the group channels stopped playing the PUG queue and that it had nothing to do with dill/mark rewards which is part of the reason why the queue doesn't pop as much.

The mark/dill reward of CE was never really that good or worth while and not all players ran CE due to marks/dill. Like it or not the group channels make up a large amount of people and they do impact the queues popping. They are not the only reason but they are part of the reason CE doesn't pop as much.
    The reward to time ratio of CCA was the highest of any content in the game by a good factor (and probably still is, though not quite as extreme). CCA hasn't even been declining that much, relatively speaking. It's still one of the fastest-popping non-event queues in the game, which is saying something given it's excluded from random.

But all non-event queues have declined significantly recently, because of the near-continuos run of events.

Admiralty gives almost as much dil as you could refine without playing any content at all. Personal endeavors drive participation, but only against specific opponents (and even when it's tholians, CCA has too few to complete the endeavor). The time delays and making the wave untankable are just one more nail in the coffin.

I'd expect the Disco queues should be the most active at this time, since everyone needs the marks they haven't yet spoiled with the allboxes.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    For Tholians endeavor I generally run Stormbound.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    You can use the Archer System Patrol as well.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
This discussion has been closed.