test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Hull Armor Ratings

spidey51363spidey51363 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
What are the ratings for hull armor, lowest to highest and is Diburnium the highest???

Comments

• tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,635 Arc User
    How damage resistance is applied is complicated by diminishing returns on a per-resist basis (not per-console,) to the point that just seeking out the console with the highest rating won't help much.

Take a look at this: https://sto.gamepedia.com/Damage_resistance

Basic take-away is that stacking armor beyond a pretty low point is near useless to most players. A pair of Neutroniums to cover all resists is about the maximum you'll need, and you'd need less if you put in points into Hull Plating in the Skill Tree or are flying a T5-U or T6 cruiser or battle cruiser.

To answer your question as asked, of the conventional consoles, any that only have two armor ratings tie for highest at the same mark and rarity. The less checks on this chart, the more resistance rating they give to the ratings they have: https://sto.gamepedia.com/Engineering_Consoles#Damage_resistance_consoles
  • raj011raj011 Member Posts: 987 Arc User
    What about if you have 4 engineering slots and had four different armours and alloys?
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,635 Arc User
    raj011 wrote: »
    What about if you have 4 engineering slots and had four different armours and alloys?

You'll notice very little difference in actual percentage of resist (viewable on your ship stats screen when in non-Sector Space) over just having a pair of Neutroniums, because it doesn't care where the resist comes from it just cares about the number of points. Likely in the single digits percentage difference for taking up 4 slots. You might consider doing a pair of Neutroniums, then a SIF Generator to improve your hull heals, and maybe a EPS Regulator to improve the power flow to your energy weapons (a dead enemy can't hurt you).

It's an old compromise from early in the game, as they didn't want cruisers to be effectively invincible by just piling on armor consoles, so they instituted diminishing returns on resistances. At least one dev would rather have a single Armor slot like on ground, but that'd mean having to figure out new uses for the old consoles as well as other issues.

Most higher end builds don't have any resist consoles, at least none of the standard armor consoles, and use Skill Points, Starship Mastery, and Traits instead for resists.
    tom61sto wrote: »
    raj011 wrote: »

You'll notice very little difference in actual percentage of resist (viewable on your ship stats screen when in non-Sector Space) over just having a pair of Neutroniums, because it doesn't care where the resist comes from it just cares about the number of points. Likely in the single digits percentage difference for taking up 4 slots. You might consider doing a pair of Neutroniums, then a SIF Generator to improve your hull heals, and maybe a EPS Regulator to improve the power flow to your energy weapons (a dead enemy can't hurt you).

It's an old compromise from early in the game, as they didn't want cruisers to be effectively invincible by just piling on armor consoles, so they instituted diminishing returns on resistances. At least one dev would rather have a single Armor slot like on ground, but that'd mean having to figure out new uses for the old consoles as well as other issues.

Most higher end builds don't have any resist consoles, at least none of the standard armor consoles, and use Skill Points, Starship Mastery, and Traits instead for resists.

All right. Thank you for you help. I do appreciate it.

• nephitisnephitis Member Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    I don't use any resistance consoles myself but I do have two traits that I can slot in for a significant amount of % resistance. I don't really use them but I slotted them in for a demonstration. If you are really concerned about damage resistance I can highly recommend the two "space" traits called Oblique Shielding and Repair Crews. The two alone add the resistance that you can see below provided that you don't have anything else that triggers diminishing returns. Combined they add about +65 resistance rating across the board.

Now, if you ask me I think it is better to focus more on passive hull healing (regeneration etc.) later on if you want your ship to be more tanky for PVE gameplay. Repair Crews will help with that by providing 25% passive hull regeneration in addition to 25 damage resistance rating. As you can see I have about 113% innate hull regeneration in combat in this scenario. This is in relation to max hull of 117 000 HP.

What it really means is that my ship recovers 113% of max hull over the course for 60 seconds. Now, this can be increased with let's say Hull-Repairing Nanites from the Omega reputation for an additional 40%. Since all of this is based of your maximum hull you can further increase the passive hull regeneration by increasing your max HP through various traits and so forth. You can also add Energy Refrequencer from the Iconian Resistance reputation to give yourself even more healing.

Naturally you can combine passive hull regeneration and damage resistance for even more tankyness, though you may be trading it for some damage. You don't have to go this route but it is at least one option.

oyyr1TY.jpg
    nephitis wrote: »
    I don't use any resistance consoles myself but I do have two traits that I can slot in for a significant amount of % resistance. I don't really use them but I slotted them in for a demonstration. If you are really concerned about damage resistance I can highly recommend the two "space" traits called Oblique Shielding and Repair Crews. The two alone add the resistance that you can see below provided that you don't have anything else that triggers diminishing returns. Combined they add about +65 resistance rating across the board.

Now, if you ask me I think it is better to focus more on passive hull healing (regeneration etc.) later on if you want your ship to be more tanky for PVE gameplay. Repair Crews will help with that by providing 25% passive hull regeneration in addition to 25 damage resistance rating. As you can see I have about 113% innate hull regeneration in combat in this scenario. This is in relation to max hull of 117 000 HP.

What it really means is that my ship recovers 113% of max hull over the course for 60 seconds. Now, this can be increased with let's say Hull-Repairing Nanites from the Omega reputation for an additional 40%. Since all of this is based of your maximum hull you can further increase the passive hull regeneration by increasing your max HP through various traits and so forth. You can also add Energy Refrequencer from the Iconian Resistance reputation to give yourself even more healing.

Naturally you can combine passive hull regeneration and damage resistance for even more tankyness, though you may be trading it for some damage. You don't have to go this route but it is at least one option.

oyyr1TY.jpg

All right. I will look into that. Thank you.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,952 Arc User
    Nukara Tier IV reputation (defensive) can also help in the area of resists if you're running a reasonable level of auxiliary power. It's offensive Tier IV partner is nice as well.