test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Returning player - some issues/questions

telbasta7386telbasta7386 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
So i havent played in quite some time, and just hopped back into STO last night. Looks like my characters are all still there, though for some reason none of them have any credits (was there like an energy credit wipe or something?)

A lot seems to have been added... there's new character starts for The Original Series, Discovery, and Jem'Hadar now. If someone could give me a rundown on how those work and how they lead into the rest of the game I'd appreciate it. Last time I really played was when romulans were added, and I know they could join either the federation or empire, so I'm curious if the others work that way too.

One issue I've come across already is that character creation is super laggy/choppy now. The game still runs smoothly, as does using the tailor on fleet to change my appearance/outfit, but trying to create a new character feels like molasses. Anyone know what causes that or have a solution?

I'm trying to figure out what to do now, as a returning player, since I've pretty much forgotten how to play and my established characters are no longer max rank, so picking them up may not be so easy. I think I need to start over with a new character and learn the ropes again (I'm sure some have changed, too), but not sure if I should try another fed, a second romulan, or try one of the new discovery/TOS/jem'hadar things.

Just looking for some advice and tips =)

Comments

• Options
    sarah2774sarah2774 Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    TOS and Disc will join the fed mission when they are transported to the current timeline. TOS has more mission then Disc before joining the curernt timeline.
    Disc is almost similar to fed.

Jem is like the romulan, you can choose which faction to join. You start at a high level and will reach endgame very fast. If you just want to relearn to play since you have other toons maybe Jem is the best. You learn then you know what to do with your other character.

Character creation is just fine no lag. Just put all graphic settings to minimum, create character then put it back to normal.
    OPv9m3F.jpg
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    No idea why you don't have EC, is anything else missing?

If you're doing tailor customization, you can do that for free when the tutorial's over.

As for re-learning how to play... Make a new character(I personally recommend a Discovery-era Fed) and play the tutorial again. It's a VERY different story from the regular Fed tutorial and it gives much needed context behind the current age of Discovery content.

TOS characters have a story that's tied into a time war story arc that the devs finished over a year ago. Also most of that story was told outside the TOS tutorial. Still a neat starting experience to see.

Jem'hadar are tied into the Victory is Life story. You play as a loyal soldier of the Dominion working to fix problems the Founders accidentally created for themselves.

Also, slot the project for the current anniversary ship. There's not enough time to complete it, but you could put 500 or so token into it and finish it next year. Oh and play the anniversary missions. You get 400 tokens total for them.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 3,019 Arc User
    A lot seems to have been added... there's new character starts for The Original Series, Discovery, and Jem'Hadar now. If someone could give me a rundown on how those work and how they lead into the rest of the game I'd appreciate it. Last time I really played was when romulans were added, and I know they could join either the federation or empire, so I'm curious if the others work that way too.
    Just wanted to add that Discovery and AoY characters are federation only toons whereas Jem'hadar can join either faction, start at level 60, and depending upon your profession come with two different specialization trees already filled out (and a few other perks).

I have one of each and have enjoyed them all, but it was the AoY toon started during their related recruitment event that had the best account and character unlock rewards. You may want to wait until it's repeated to start an AoY toon as without the event they're really just Fed toons with different animations and some unique starter missions. Nobody knows when the next one will be though as it was part of a 50th anniversary thing several years ago.

It's a case of whatever you like in the end though. Whatever type of new toon you play will eventually have their starter missions merge with the standard Fed or KDF early story line and then proceed to the 'Alliance' shared story line.

Romulans were recently allowed access to their chosen faction's ships as well as their own so are a very solid choice as well.
  • Options
    by AoY do you mean the original series starting thing? Not getting the abbreviation =P

I saw that romulans can access faction ships now, can they also use faction bridge officers?
  • Options
    Agents of Yesterday was the name of the TOS expansion.

Romulans have always been able to use allied bridge officers.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,290 Arc User
    by AoY do you mean the original series starting thing? Not getting the abbreviation =P

I saw that romulans can access faction ships now, can they also use faction bridge officers?

AoY=agents of yesterday=2270(TOS) characters
    AoD=Age of Discovery=2250s(DSC) characters.

Should be noted that in both cases you end up in 24th century affter the starting experience.
  • Options
    Funny that the discovery ships look so much cleaner and more high tech than the TOS ships, even though theyre technically older
  • Options
    anubis0sarvouranubis0sarvour Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    When you get to Lv 11 you unlock Duty Officers. Basically more of your crew but instead off being available for away teams with your character, you can give them assignments to do (like their own missions). When you eventually get to the point of buying a few for specific Professions your roster lacks, and shop for them on the Exchange, Feds & KDF can only use their own faction's duty officers. Rom & Dominion characters can use Rom doffs (duty officers) as well as those of their Allies' faction. So be sure to check the icon on the card, as I made the mistake of getting a few of the wrong faction. A hassle that is 100% preventable, but I wasn't as careful as I should have been. As some doffs are characters that defected to the other faction, I really should have checked the tiny icon on the upper right of the card.
    3fe5520084f54ba06a859d0b2c824e771701473049.png
    The Borg Assimilator
    Live Long and Prosper.🖖[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Funny that the discovery ships look so much cleaner and more high tech than the TOS ships, even though theyre technically older
    Well in 1970 they had to use glue and cardboard to make ships. Today it's CGI. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,290 Arc User
    Well in 1970 they had to use glue and cardboard to make ships. Today it's CGI. :D

I wonder what they had in the late 1960s when TOS was made then ;)

Though seriously it's less about how the effects were made but the budget and the cost of the effects in relation to that, CGI effects for ships are rather cheap and modern scifi has average or higher then average budgets, while the effect used for TOS where rather expensive and the budget not so great.

Effects for the movies of that era are pretty good but TOS didn't have anywhere close to the resources those movies had.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited February 2019

Don’t worry too much. Just epoch related design preferences from the architechts which Dax captured with “classic 23rd century design” rather well later on.

I mean look at the brand new toaster I got last week. It looks so much older than the one I had before that. Yet, it’s still more technically advanced and reliable and expensive and all. ;)

619mjbbwjQL._SL1000_.jpg
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I would pay a full 900 Lobi for that sweet toaster! :lol:
    Insert witty signature line here.