test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Gates of Gre'thor Revamp?

korithian1korithian1 Member Posts: 82 Arc User
With the story arc revamp and much work done on the core experience are there any plans to revamp the Gates of Gre'thor and to a lesser degree Afterlife?

It seems both these episodes stand out to my mind as having what amounts to, at least at level 15+ an instant death mechanic, as the fire will wipe out Boffs before they even have the sense to move and I can't imagine many captains being able to soak the level of damage and be able to move out of the fire circles unless they are already moving and even then its pretty hit and miss.

And for good measure you get to encounter 5 bosses that do this in the course of the 2 story missions. Perhaps its because I have the settings on Max or turns out I'm color blind or something but I can't even identify a visual clue where the fire is going to land until I either see my Boffs fall over or my shields are gone and my health is one tick away from death.

Now I fully get that death is meaningless, I full get that despite being told if you die here you are stuck here its a lie and you just dust yourself off and try again. But for my own sanity it would be nice to get my captain through the game without being a cast member of the Vampire Diaries (for those unfamiliar with this show, the main cast seem to die every other episode but always come back). I even checked the post in the Academy for hints and tips, though there seem to be none.

Now the rest all seems fine but these fire circles (I take it that is what they are though its hard to see them clearly) just one shoting hardly makes me feel like it was a close won battle at the end. Rather just luck I was running in circles enough to avoid them at the end than I had any real tactical advantage. I even wonder if I'm meant to give one of my Boffs a melee weapon that if his engaged at melee range maybe they don't use them?

So I am really hoping there is some revamp for these two abilities in the work? Or any tactic that stops the use of the instant death fire attack?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,526 Arc User
    Are you playing at Elite difficulty? It's been awhile but I've played it with 4 different KDF captains and don't recall them being more than a little harder than normal ground combat, not a major jump.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Oh you mean the Fek Chaos Blaze power?

AHAHAHAHAHAAH!!!..!!.!!

That will kill you VERY quickly no matter what level you are. Seriously, someone was asking for help with that in zone chat yesterday so I did it on my Jem'hadar. Chaos Blaze is a fireball of death no matter what level you are. The trick is to NEVER stand still. Strafe them until they run out of patience and die of embarrassment.... and also the fact they're full of holes, but mostly embarrassment because they're ghosts.

Oh, also they can't spam it. They have a CD of something like 30 secs, so any time you see them use it you know they won't use it for a while.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,526 Arc User
    For anyone trying to finish these:

It might help to add turrets, mortars and generators yourself (if Eng) or through boffs, since the AI makes them a priority target.

Giving 1-2 boffs sniper rifles and the others closer-range weapons might spread them out more.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    The AI usually casts Chaos Blaze on the first target that attracts aggro. Which if you're lucky will be a drone or turret that's nowhere near you or your boffs. And yeah, it's a massive pain in general. If it hits when your team is clustered... ouch.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
This discussion has been closed.