test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is there a point in my STO game future where I can freely explore systems?

mrtinkertrain72mrtinkertrain72 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
Just out of curiosity sake, I made a Klingon character and as soon as I was able, I flew to Sol. I expect to be obliterated, of course. Or I expected a message saying you cannot enter that system. But, I found out that I cannot enter most systems unless told to do so by a mission. I did find DS9 and was able to board, and then go thru to the Gamma quadrant.

Is STO always mission-based? Even when the "main" storyline is finished? Or above level 50? Never free system exploration?
Tagged:

Answers

• nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    nope, there are some battlezones both space and ground you can enter when ever, and some patrols you can start by entering the system but sto is not a sandbox game you can't just fly around were every at any.

your gonna have to play eve online, elite dangerous, or similar game for that sort of gameplay. sadly as far as I know there isn't a star trek sand box game.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    No real exploration. While you can fly around with less restrictions at higher levels or place unlocks, not a huge point to doing so, and getting to Sol and ESD for KDF players requires a glitch to happen. Most of the end game is based around TFOs, Space Barbie (making your character and ship look pretty), and Exchange PvP (making space money to do the first two better), along with Events that come and go.

You might try 'Elite:Dangerous' or 'No Man's Sky Next' if true exploration is more your goal.
  • mrtinkertrain72mrtinkertrain72 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Both Elite:Dangerous and No Man's Sky are on my radar.
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User

Do keep in mind that Elite:Dangerous is setup heavily towards using a joystick and throttle. I picked it up last month when it was on sale for $15 in a bundle with season pass for 'Horizons', and it's a huge pain to even land in a station with a mouse and keyboard...
  • tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    tom61sto wrote: »

Do keep in mind that Elite:Dangerous is setup heavily towards using a joystick and throttle. I picked it up last month when it was on sale for $15 in a bundle with season pass for 'Horizons', and it's a huge pain to even land in a station with a mouse and keyboard...

I play Elite Dangerous with mouse and keyboard just fine. As do many of my friends.

Edit: I think the default controls make your mouse movements do pitch and roll, and keyboard yaw. Try setting your mouse x-axis to yaw and A/D keys to roll (also maybe W/S to additionally pitch, and bind throttle keys to something else). You should have much easier time controlling your ship.
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User

it's a pain with controller too, or I''m just very clumsy, either way a Docking Computer is on any ship I fly. and it's probably paid for itself many times over with what I save on repairs.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

I play Elite Dangerous with mouse and keyboard just fine. As do many of my friends.

Edit: I think the default controls make your mouse movements do pitch and roll, and keyboard yaw. Try setting your mouse x-axis to yaw and A/D keys to roll (also maybe W/S to additionally pitch, and bind throttle keys to something else). You should have much easier time controlling your ship.

I have been playing Elite for a long time.. and I have to admit.. I have no idea how you manage to make it work with KB/Mouse. I use a X52 Pro Flight Stick and the game plays great.. but I would have a hard time playing it with KB/Mouse.

azrael605 wrote: »
    Both are utter garbage,

I can't speak for No Mans Sky, I have never played it.. but Elite in VR is.. mind blowing. It is, in my opinion, the most immersible VR experience that exists in gaming today. I will admit though, when playing it 'normal' I do find it very.. well.. meh.

The game is complex and detailed but lacks substance and real direction. I can't say I agree that it's garbage.. but I can honestly say that I understand when people feel that way. When I first started playing, it was challenging to try and learn how everything works.. it was mentally stimulating. Now that I am a 'seasoned veteran' though, I honestly just play it now when I want to turn off my brain and not have to really think. I just fly around and annihilate pirates. :lol:

Insert witty signature line here.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    The thing to remember that "No Man's Sky" or the "Elite" series were built for exploration, while STO wasn't, reason you can't visit most systems is that there's nothing there (as far as game is conserned there might be something there in-universe), the systems is just what you see in sector space and nothing more has been programmed in.

To change that you'd need a lot of work from the devs to make every single system manually, make a system that generates random planets when you arrive to them, or more likely a combination of these where systems match their descriptions but the ground map is randomized for "non-iconic" worlds.
    edited February 2019
    spiritborn wrote: »
    The thing to remember that "No Man's Sky" or the "Elite" series were built for exploration, while STO wasn't, reason you can't visit most systems is that there's nothing there (as far as game is conserned there might be something there in-universe), the systems is just what you see in sector space and nothing more has been programmed in.

To change that you'd need a lot of work from the devs to make every single system manually, make a system that generates random planets when you arrive to them, or more likely a combination of these where systems match their descriptions but the ground map is randomized for "non-iconic" worlds.

True, it's a really unfair comparison.

Pretty much the only things STO and Elite have in common is they're both in space. Everything else is completely different.
  • tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User

I have been playing Elite for a long time.. and I have to admit.. I have no idea how you manage to make it work with KB/Mouse. I use a X52 Pro Flight Stick and the game plays great.. but I would have a hard time playing it with KB/Mouse.

Sounds like someone needs to... git gud elite. :D
    But yeah, while I understand how joystick would probably be easier, I haven't encountered any problems beside the initial control tweaking.
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Both are utter garbage,

[/quote]

While STO and Elite Dangerous are very different games indeed, and the latter is definitely harder to get into (especially compared to STO), calling it garbage and implying STO is better displays ultimate cluelessness. There are several aspects that STO does very well (namely having a proper space/ground separation, easy to access multiplayer options, fairly graspable controls system and a general more relaxed feel so you could just log in for an hour a day to unwind and log off or afk whenever needed), but in many other cases, E:D is vastly superior.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    (...)

And considering the devs have consciously removed the exploration feature the game had, which was based on hundreds of randomly generated planet and space maps (though they weren't created on the fly and required manual work still), I'd say we won't see anything like this anytime soon.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    Sounds like someone needs to... git gud elite. :D

You wound me sir! :lol::lol:
  • arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    I admit to having absolutely no clue about what it would take to do it but...

Why not add planets, moons etc to a bunch of the systems that are currently being unused for anything more than making sector space prettier. Now, add some random encounters (space) along the lines of the ones we somewhat regularly see in sector space, with the NPCs of course based on what NPCs one would expect to run across in that sector.

On to the moons and planets, beaming down to a moon/planet, you now have random ground encounters. NPCs again based on what would be expected in that area, critters of course based on type of world (arctic, desert, jungle etc).

You could make it like a battlezone, with a never ending stream of enemies spawning and players joining and leaving at will with the only rewards being the XP for kills and the random drops, or make it like the current space encounters, with a set number of encounters and rewards upon completion.

Systems in the areas around Sol, Quonos and the Flotilla given the same types (and levels) of NPCs that new players are facing at the lower levels, outlying systems given more varied and tougher NPCs.

Make the ground maps just large enough so players can actually "explore" a bit so there's not a ton of time needed in making the maps. Since there is no "quest", just random NPC spawns there's not a lot of time needed for coding in all the triggers for encounters.

I know, I know. There will be a lot of high level TRIBBLE parking themselves in the areas where new players will be going just so they can inst-vape everything and spoil the game for new players but maybe there is a way to prevent that or even better, punish those types of TRIBBLE.

I'll repeat myself from the start of my post ...I admit to having absolutely no clue about what it would take to do it but...

Maybe it would take one heel of a lot coding and work, in which case forget it, I'd rather the Devs keep up their good work on the new content. But maybe, just maybe, it's actually mostly relatively easy and one or more Devs might work on it a little at a time when they get some spare time....if they ever actually get any spare time that is
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    No one uses the Foundry?
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    No one uses the Foundry?

The foundry is not a replacement for a random and open-ended exploration game mode. It's something different.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou