test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can the Scryer be more than average? (Answered: Yes)

captmack68captmack68 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
edited January 2019 in The Shipyard
Every ship has strengths and weaknesses and exploring this fact has been a big part of my fun here.
I usually understand the current meta, but won't necessarily equip to follow if it doesn't theme with the ships design.

The uniqueness of a ship usually makes up for its weaknesses and keeps my playtime brain more engaged than pure OP'd pew-pewing
(which I also like very much and make time for).

I love each of my ships because of this, even those others seem to dislike.

Except the Scryer. It's middling, even for a 1st gen T6 and sit's there, $30 worth of space dust in my dry-dock.

I've sifted sci-based/drain/GW/etc advice and tried different focuses but
it still feels like the ship version of Picard in the blue uniform. I think I'm biased against it at this point.
  • So, the question: Is there anyone here who loves the Scryer and if so, would you please share your insights?

Currently no build to share as it really is unused past ship mastery. I'm open to general advice as well as build experiences.

Thanks ahead for anyone taking the time to answer.
Post edited by captmack68 on

Best Answers

Answers

• captmack68captmack68 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    To be honest this ship has sat unused for so long that I can't promise I had a firm grasp of science abilities in general when I benched it. Aux level and its importance, in particular, were a mystery for sure.

Thank you for answering, both of you.
    The suggestions made only require minor fiddling and have me thinking past my bias, as I hoped :smiley:
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    captmack68 wrote: »
    To be honest this ship has sat unused for so long that I can't promise I had a firm grasp of science abilities in general when I benched it. Aux level and its importance, in particular, were a mystery for sure.

Thank you for answering, both of you.
    The suggestions made only require minor fiddling and have me thinking past my bias, as I hoped :smiley:

If you're not familiar with playing science heavy ships, it might actually more than minor middling, since you might need to look into traits and consoles and skill selection to really get the most out of it.

If you like the idea of dragging most of the enemies on the map in a small area and dealing AoE damage to it appeals to you, a ship like the Scryer is the way to go.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Yes it can be pretty decent.

I fly it as a torp-exotic boat and use the build in cloak to get into position to outflank enemies then drop a massive exotic and kinetic damage attack on them.
    Honestly it should perform just as well as most other science vessels and the cloak does have advantages in the opening stages of a fight. It's got a very close boff seating to the Pathfinder and that in itself is a pretty powerful science vessel.
    It might not be as new as the recent stuff like the Crossfield etc but it's still perfectly viable.
    SulMatuul.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,005 Community Moderator
    The Scryer can be made into a pretty effective Snooper too. Got some enemies using a cloak? Cloaked Scryer can spot them without being spotted if built right.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    My familiarity with Sci ships has improved dramatically since I originally bought this. (we were still leveling up with the little pips)

I think it's a better understanding of Aux, though, that's making the big difference. At the time I didn't pay attention to aux levels at all. When coldnapalm and seriousdave mentioned hitting 160+ it rang bells immediately. It wasn't the ship that was middling, it was my understanding (back then) of the mechanics it used. I then mothballed her before learning any of this.

My run this morning was much more enjoyable. Some small tweaking to do still but other than that my opinion is changed on this ship.
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    captmack68 wrote: »
    My familiarity with Sci ships has improved dramatically since I originally bought this. (we were still leveling up with the little pips)

I think it's a better understanding of Aux, though, that's making the big difference. At the time I didn't pay attention to aux levels at all. When coldnapalm and seriousdave mentioned hitting 160+ it rang bells immediately. It wasn't the ship that was middling, it was my understanding (back then) of the mechanics it used. I then mothballed her before learning any of this.

My run this morning was much more enjoyable. Some small tweaking to do still but other than that my opinion is changed on this ship.

That awesome news to hear!

Glad you managed to work out work what was the issue and you've now got a better understanding of the ship class as well!

In short, Aux power affects how powerful a lot of science abilities are when they are activated, so you want it as high as possible to give you maximum potential.
    The reason a lot of people use torps for sci vessels is that they don't actually use any power to do their thing (only need weapon power above 0 to actually fire) and so that means you really need only worry about 3 of the 4 power levels. That gives you even more power to divert to the remaining 3, and most of that should go to Aux. Stick the slider to max for Aux and anything left goes to shields, or engines depending of how you feel you need it.

Any more help you need just shout!
    SulMatuul.png
    edited January 2019
    For non-elite solo/team play, is hitting 130+ Aux after firing off OSS sufficient to be considered a strong (strong enough?) sci boat or am I trying to cover too many bases to be useful? This is keeping weapons at 125 to keep my beams weapons hot with the other levels riding at 77-80 before buffs. When tweaking traits I favored damage and aux over resistance and speed.

To be clear: I don't feel like I'm having difficulties when teaming and am enjoying flying her solo, but wouldn't have a clue if I was the lead weight on a queue run or not, so this question occurred to me.

@lordsteve1 The torpedo boat idea seems very interesting and wasn't ignored. I'm thinking about a different project for that.
    Post edited by captmack68 on