What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Michelle Yeoh Star Trek spin off in the works

Comments

• Options
    lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    A Star Trek Anthology series would be interesting. It is part of the reason why The Twilight Zone and Outer Limits were great.

This. Personally an anthology series is something I would definitely like to see at some point. With all these different series being thrown out there right now i'm a bit surprised it hasn't been brought up at cbs. Granted it would be expensive as hell, at least for the first few seasons, but it would allow for stories to be set both in multiple eras and potentially from other points of view as well, so you might be able to do a couple episodes from a klingon and romulan perspective, etc..

As I said, it would be expensive, which may be why it hasn't been suggested by the higher ups. Even though it could be immensely popular given that it would allow them to incorporate something everybody wants. tos fan? heres an exploration arc in kirks era. ds9 fan? heres a few episodes that take place during the dominion war, curious about whatever happened to the enterprise B? heres a mini arc with that ship in it, etc.. and it would allow them to essentially bring back anybody they wanted to. Though I suspect if they did it, it would likely have to be a different era each season with a season wide arc of some kind, even if it was told from different perspectives throughout said season. But it could be doable if they were willing to give the series a large budget

Also, the outer limits was a fantastic series and an example of rebooting a series done right

That said I don't see the logic behind S31 even having her in their ranks. Sure she certainly would be able to do the less ethical things they might require of her without a problem, but that in itself is an issue. Remember who she is, you don't get to be leader of the terran empire by being a nice, non manipulative and non ambitious person. Giving her that kind of latitude is just asking for her to try something. What makes them think she wouldn't try to recreate her empire in their universe? Shes more trouble than shes worth
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    I doubt CBS would want two anthology series running at the same time
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    angrytarg wrote: »
    artan42 wrote: »
    I don't get the point. What's the reason behind a whole series on Section 31? 'Kinda makes them somewhat less secret. A series on Starfleet Intelligence, why not? But not S31.

Also the Emperor is a cannibalistic space Naz.i. Lorca was at least redeemable. The Emperor is not.

People started to confuse S31 with the 'heroes' of the stories sometimes around ENT and now this stuff is highly popular. S31 has semi-canonically been established to be the sole reason the Federation still exists and their personnel gets that weird '24' or 'homeland' antihero pathos. I thought it's ten years too late for this, but it's basically what floats peple's boat these days.

Which also means it is completely irrelevant what any of the other protagonists do. Because in the end, it always only works because someone "does what has to be done" behind the scenes. It's really pretty dumb.

Well I don't think S31 even has the gravatas to be the focal point of a show in the first place even if audiences have have a general tolerance for black ops protagonists now.
    DS9 and DSC got dark at times but it still only had a bunch of explorers thrown into war. A S31 show wouldn't even have that. It'd have dark people doing dark jobs which isn't massivly interesting.

Besides, other than Slone, S31 isn't really a huge part of ST. It was a minor plot across 4 or so episodes in ENT, the plot of one film (ID), and a few seconds of DSCS1 (in a scene that wasn't even in the broadcast).

They've got less exposure and screen time than the Tellarites and nobody (except you I imagine) is clamoring for a spin off of them.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Besides, other than Slone, S31 isn't really a huge part of ST. It was a minor plot across 4 or so episodes in ENT, the plot of one film (ID), and a few seconds of DSCS1 (in a scene that wasn't even in the broadcast).

They've got less exposure and screen time than the Tellarites and nobody (except you I imagine) is clamoring for a spin off of them.​​
    Speak for yourself.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User

Also, until the scene where Empress Georgiou was recruited into Section 31, it could have been explained as the delusions of rogue Starfleet Intelligence Officers. Harris in Enterprise mentions Reread the Charter, Chapter 14, Section 31, but that doesn't mean that Harris is part of Section 31, just that the Starfleet Charter allows for bending the rules in times of extraordinary threat. Another explanation is that Section 31 could be a fictional organization that Starfleet Intelligence created to provide plausible deniability for whenever they need to do something that is against the ideals of Starfleet. Any time one of their Starfleet Intelligence agents is caught, they could just claim that it is a Section 31 agent that infiltrated Starfleet Intelligence. So it wasn't Starfleet Intelligence that almost committed genocide, but Section 31.
  • Options

Also, until the scene where Empress Georgiou was recruited into Section 31, it could have been explained as the delusions of rogue Starfleet Intelligence Officers. Harris in Enterprise mentions Reread the Charter, Chapter 14, Section 31, but that doesn't mean that Harris is part of Section 31, just that the Starfleet Charter allows for bending the rules in times of extraordinary threat. Another explanation is that Section 31 could be a fictional organization that Starfleet Intelligence created to provide plausible deniability for whenever they need to do something that is against the ideals of Starfleet. Any time one of their Starfleet Intelligence agents is caught, they could just claim that it is a Section 31 agent that infiltrated Starfleet Intelligence. So it wasn't Starfleet Intelligence that almost committed genocide, but Section 31.
    It could also be that "Section 31" isn't an actual organization, but a role members of Starfleet intelligence play.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    My headcanon had been that "Section 31" was a separate organization, funded by certain politicians and wealthy patrons, that liked to pretend it was the successor to a previous black-ops group.

Whether that headcanon holds up will depend on what happens with the new show, of course.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options

It could also be that "Section 31" isn't an actual organization, but a role members of Starfleet intelligence play.

Which is what my "Another explanation" is all about. Only Discovery has a Section 31 that can't be explained by rogue Starfleet Intelligence Officers or a role played by Starfleet Intelligence. Leland could still be a part of Starfleet Intelligence, but Empress Georgiou is part of Section 31.
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    Could be that Section 31 started out as an official Federation black ops org and between Discovery and DS9 it fell out of favor and went rogue
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @artan42 said:
    > I don't get the point. What's the reason behind a whole series on Section 31? 'Kinda makes them somewhat less secret. A series on Starfleet Intelligence, why not? But not S31.
    >
    > Also the Emperor is a cannibalistic space Naz.i. Lorca was at least redeemable. The Emperor is not.

Yeah I know, they gave cannibalistic space hilter her own show. Its so twisted it funny. What were they thinking. I'll watch it anyways.
  • Options
    > @artan42 said:
    > angrytarg wrote: »
    >
    > > @artan42 said:
    > > Oh. The Emperor? No interest then.​​
    >
    > Me neither. DSCs take on the MU was ridoncolously dumb in my opinion, and 'God-emperor Georgiou' is really not what I want to see.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I don't like the concept in general. I'd prefer an introspection of characters in their own personal 'darkest timeline' and have some 'what if' or 'for want of a nail' type stories.
    >
    > Not some tedious 'Earth X' we're all randomly space Naz.is for no particular reason.
    >
    > Spock, O'Brien, T'Pol, Tuvok, and Voq are the only MU characters that seem like the Prime versions set in impossible situations. Everyone else is a giggling loon who share names with their Prime counterparts and nothing else.

I'd add Ben Sisko, Jennifer Sisko, Quark, Rom, Brunt, Erzi, to that list.
  • Options
    Hypothesis, because they are going lighter and more moral with Discovery from now on and likely Picard as well, they wanted a series they could do Grimdark as they want to and adult. Expect more swearing, violence, brutality, and maybe even straight up nudity for section 31 show.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    So, Doctor Who and Torchwood (?) Whee, that one sucked.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    lordgyor wrote: »
    > artan42 said:
    > I don't get the point. What's the reason behind a whole series on Section 31? 'Kinda makes them somewhat less secret. A series on Starfleet Intelligence, why not? But not S31.
    >
    > Also the Emperor is a cannibalistic space Naz.i. Lorca was at least redeemable. The Emperor is not.

Yeah I know, they gave cannibalistic space hilter her own show. Its so twisted it funny. What were they thinking. I'll watch it anyways.

We have never seen Empress Georgiou eat another human so while she is space hilter and has completely disgusting eating habits, she is not a cannibal. At least, Empress Georgiou is not as disgusting as humans from the 31st Century.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOAS-g5EXUo

• Options
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > khan5000 said:
    > Could be that Section 31 started out as an official Federation black ops org and between Discovery and DS9 it fell out of favor and went rogue

I think it's more complicated than that. In the Enterprise (NX) days Section 31 was secret and unofficial, like it was in the DS9 era, however here in the barely pre TOS days they seem to have an officially recognized status. I postulate that they "go rogue" when the political climate demands, and when they are able they have a highly placed Admiral or 5 "start up" a "new" black ops organization when the political environment permits.

Or they usually are good at their jobs so the protagonists and audience don't realize they exist.

• Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter

They've got less exposure and screen time than the Tellarites and nobody (except you I imagine) is clamoring for a spin off of them.
    Speak for yourself.

Okay. Nobody wants a Tellarite spin off show except markhawkman and possibly Angrytarg.

Except that would be pointlessly convoluted and has no supporting evidence to back it up.
    lordgyor wrote: »
    I'd add Ben Sisko, Jennifer Sisko, Quark, Rom, Brunt, Erzi, to that list.

The Ferengi I'll agree with. Erzi doesn't really have a character (neither does Leeta now I think about it) but Sisko is almost unrecognisable from his Prime version.
    We have never seen Empress Georgiou eat another human so while she is space hilter and has completely disgusting eating habits, she is not a cannibal.

As the English language doesn't have a word for somebody who consumes sapient life a little expansion of 'cannibalism' is necessary.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @artan42 said:
    >
    > Okay. Nobody wants a Tellarite spin off show except markhawkman and possibly Angrytarg.​​

Possibly? I'd patreon that 👅🐽

Seriously, I'd also support a Andorian show or miniseries. A piece about the founding factions about the UFP would be something I deem interesting.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    > artan42 said:
    >
    > Okay. Nobody wants a Tellarite spin off show except markhawkman and possibly Angrytarg.​​

Seriously, I'd also support a Andorian show or miniseries. A piece about the founding factions about the UFP would be something I deem interesting.

An anthology series would be able to do it without getting tiring. It just seems extremely unrealistic how all the interesting events happen only to the hero crews. It is as if someone cursed them to live in interesting times while the others are cursed to mediocrity.
  • Options
    brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    > @artan42 said:
    >

When I first saw the Axanar promo I began to write a story about a young Lt.JG assigned to a Tellarite ship as a cultural exchange. Day 1 of the war they lose a warp nacelle to a Klingon ambush and get stuck behind Klingon lines with a max speed of warp 1.5, so now this human who was on a six-month assignment becomes a permanent part of a Tellarite crew.

I have about sixteen chapters in it so far. Starfleet uses them as an intelligence asset, and their job is to remain hidden and observe as they slowly make their way back to the friendly side of the battle-lines. Of course, Tellarites aren't known for their ability to remain hidden...

The human was supposed to be Chris Pike, who is brevetted up to Commander by the time he gets the ship back to safety, (lots of crew die, it's so sad,) and he is met by Captain April who needs a good Exec for the Enterprise as she comes off the lines at San Francisco Shipyard. (This last part is only in outline form, but is intended to be the conclusion of the story.)
  • Options
    An anthology series would be able to do it without getting tiring. It just seems extremely unrealistic how all the interesting events happen only to the hero crews. It is as if someone cursed them to live in interesting times while the others are cursed to mediocrity.
    Kirk's 5 year mission was so eventful that no one topped his number of first contacts until Janeway got sucked into the Delta Quadrant 100 years later.
    One way to look at Star Trek from a metafictional POV is that the reason the story focuses on this ship/space station is that it's one of the most interesting in the Federation. For example, Kirk's 5 year mission, he was the ONLY captain doing that at that time. The others had different objectives.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing