test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

ETA?

Comments

• chritmarsh#4963 chritmarsh Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    Well, after some tinkering around in the editor, I can verify that there is indeed A LOT of things missing. Especially from both the personal and ship customizing screens. Still good to have it back, though. My fleet can FINALLY play the mission I created for new members.

I had completely finished and published my project in the wee hours one morning. Unfortunately, I did not realize that the foundry was going to be taken down, for 2 1/2 months, just a few hours later. I wasn't even able to do my final 'after publication walk-through' until today, LOL.

Glad to say that the mission is working perfectly, so far as I can tell. If anyone would like to play the mission, it can be found by searching ST-HPNRI4XAE (Taskforce 117 - Trial by Fire).

Just keep in mind that it is my first ever foundry mission, it was created from start to finish in less than one month, it's geared primarily towards new members of my fleet, and it is only the first part of an ongoing story-arc that I have planned.
    "Today is a good day to die... but I'd rather go to Risa."-Fleet Admiral Christopher D. Marshall
    O1P2m6v.png
  • stcaptainquirkystcaptainquirky Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    It seems that something went wrong in republishing the missions as well. After the Foundry came back I made a quick run through my submission for the victory is life challenge just to confirm that it's playable but after receiving a review that mentioned floating objects on my first ground map I took a closer look and it's true. A lot of objects are now hovering above ground and some are even out of alignment. I suspect that they got snaped to grid during republishing or something like that. It looks horrible but unfortunately I can't do anything about it as long as the editor is not functioning properly.

Maybe I really have to withdraw all my missions this time once the Foundry challenge is over.
    SaSOGlo.png
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    It seems that something went wrong in republishing the missions as well. After the Foundry came back I made a quick run through my submission for the victory is life challenge just to confirm that it's playable but after receiving a review that mentioned floating objects on my first ground map I took a closer look and it's true. A lot of objects are now hovering above ground and some are even out of alignment. I suspect that they got snaped to grid during republishing or something like that. It looks horrible but unfortunately I can't do anything about it as long as the editor is not functioning properly.

Maybe I really have to withdraw all my missions this time once the Foundry challenge is over.

1. The editor should be perfectly okay for what you need to do to fix that map. Currently there's no 2D art to show the extent of an object and what it is at a glance but each still has their main icon to move about and locate. You should be able to adjust the coordinates of your benches (they're in a very easily recognizable configuration) and that one floor piece without issue.

Also, Dagger in the Dark is a great mission and I think it's worth keeping up even with the one map's issues (I'll adjust my review when the fixes go live. ;) ) Pacing, balance, story, and character more than make up for it (even on that map, I loved that briefing.)

2. During a livestream of Dagger in the Dark pre-downtime there was also Z-fighting and floating benches (just confirmed it on their replay too.) Seems like you made a coordinate edit on lots of objects with snap to grid on and didn't catch the effect (something I've done in the past while building.) I don't think this will have affected your other projects either.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    edited December 2018
    1. The editor should be perfectly okay for what you need to do to fix that map. Currently there's no 2D art to show the extent of an object and what it is at a glance but each still has their main icon to move about and locate. You should be able to adjust the coordinates of your benches (they're in a very easily recognizable configuration) and that one floor piece without issue.

Also, Dagger in the Dark is a great mission and I think it's worth keeping up even with the one map's issues (I'll adjust my review when the fixes go live. ;) ) Pacing, balance, story, and character more than make up for it (even on that map, I loved that briefing.)

2. During a livestream of Dagger in the Dark pre-downtime there was also Z-fighting and floating benches (just confirmed it on their replay too.) Seems like you made a coordinate edit on lots of objects with snap to grid on and didn't catch the effect (something I've done in the past while building.) I don't think this will have affected your other projects either.

Ok, thanks. (There was a livestream of that mission?)

The texture issue was there right from the start (I noticed that probem after publishing but decided that any attempt at fixing it would have to wait until after the challenge) but I didn't notice any floating objects when I testplayed that map (it's not just the benches, some of the consoles around the memorial are affected as well). Then again I barely made the deadline and was working under sleep deprivation back then so I guess it's possible that I simply missed it. I would prefer to not work with a half-broken editor but I will take a look at it as soon as I find the time (and patience).

SaSOGlo.png
    edited December 2018

Ok, thanks. (There was a livestream of that mission?)

Link!
    https://youtu.be/H57pIzvgmTQ?t=3380

The streaming group "Legion of Myth" does weekly playthroughs of Foundry missions. It's a bit of good cop, bad cop and a full critical review (lots of feedback.) So, take it as another perspective on your mission (and not something too personal.) But...without wishing to spoil much they gave yours a 4.5/5. ;)
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    edited December 2018
    Thanks a lot. I'd say that was actually a very favourable review given that I published the mission in a more flawed state than I realised. This was the first time that I actually tried to build my own map from scratch (in my previous missions I just modified existing maps) and I underestimated how much time it would take so the assessment that the first ground map was put together in a bit of a haste is not entirely wrong. I was also aware that I probably missed a lot of spelling errors but as I stated in some other thread, the problem with copy-pasting into Word is that it's pretty time consuming if you have a lot of dialog boxes. I still intend to do it for "A Dagger in the Dark" but my current estimate is that it will take at least ten hours to process all the dialog in that mission.
    SaSOGlo.png
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    Thanks a lot. I'd say that was actually a very favourable review given that I published the mission in a more flawed state than I realised. This was the first time that I actually tried to build my own map from scratch (in my previous missions I just modified existing maps) and I underestimated how much time it would take so the assessment that the first ground map was put together in a bit of a haste is not entirely wrong. I was also aware that I probably missed a lot of spelling errors but as I stated in some other thread, the problem with copy-pasting into Word is that it's pretty time consuming if you have a lot of dialog boxes. I still intend to do it for "A Dagger in the Dark" but my current estimate is that it will take at least ten hours to process all the dialog in that mission.
    What I've found nice about the Legion Of Myth crew is that while harsh and not pulling punches they're fair, they won't say something is good if they don't feel like it, but also they're not say something is bad if they don't feel like it.
    edited December 2018
    UPDATE

I have several older and more complex missions that simply fail to publish. I think this is due to the costume bug, but as it stands they just won't publish, they preview fine though. Hopefully we can get an update on this soon.

I wouldn't rush this to the devs yet when they've got a lot they need to sort through as is. When you say "fail to publish" exactly what's happening? Are they freezing at a certain point and eventually failing or does the process immediately fail? If the latter, does every map preview fine? XR-377 had an issue with publishing which we tracked down to the modern ESD interior map causing crashes. If the former, try it again. Sometimes the publishing process can be temperamental and for reasons it can be more temperamental at times than others (possibly due to network activity.)
    edited December 2018

Thanks Duncan. They are failing after a short time, never gets to a percentage. I have not previewed each map but will do that next. I have tried at different times of the day and it makes no difference. At the same time, new missions I have just written publish fine so far. One good point, I have noticed that some of the waypoint markers on the mission tracker map that were missing before are now back. Don't know if they are all back yet or just some, will take time to check all these things out.

If they're not reaching a percentage then yeah that sounds like something new. I'd preview per map and see if there's one which causes a crash or simply doesn't load. If nothing jumps out then troubleshooting from there is going to be more difficult.

What I'd do in that case is copy the project (go to archived project, import mission under a new name) and verify that the publishing problem is still active. After that, try publishing again after deleting a map from the project. If it doesn't work, repeat until it successfully publishes. If that happens, then try making a new project with the problem map. Try publishing that project. If it works, then there may be something on the map which is preventing the publish. Make another copy of the project and start deleting assets from the problem map until you find the one that blocks progress.

The more information we can give Cryptic, the more likely they'll be able to fix it (as otherwise they have to go through the major troubleshooting themselves and we know they're pressed for time with this being the Foundry and there being so many other things to fix.)
  • marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    Can you let me know when they fix the editor
    I hate to be 'that guy' but is there any word on when the editor will be fixed? I'm extremely anxious to create my next mission. I apologize if someone has already covered this, but it didn't seem like it when I did a quick scan over the past dozen or so comments.
    "Today is a good day to die... but I'd rather go to Risa."-Fleet Admiral Christopher D. Marshall
    O1P2m6v.png
    I have a question that I'm hoping someone can answer. I think I found a new bug. Why does it show only one and a half stars on the one screen and 4 stars on the other? I checked my reviews, there are 4 of them. One of them is 5 stars, two of them are 4 stars, and one is 3 stars. So I don't know where they are getting the 1 1/2 stars from.
    PEHrASs.png
    O1P2m6v.png
  • starfarerthetastarfarertheta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    I have a question that I'm hoping someone can answer. I think I found a new bug. Why does it show only one and a half stars on the one screen and 4 stars on the other? I checked my reviews, there are 4 of them. One of them is 5 stars, two of them are 4 stars, and one is 3 stars. So I don't know where they are getting the 1 1/2 stars from.
    [img

I tend to think of the rating on the left as an indicator of popularity; the more plays a mission has the more stars there are (if the reviews are generally good I think). It seems to be weighted somehow although I don't know how it works.

The "community rating" (right) is an average of the ratings of individual users and seems to be more reflective of how liked a mission is.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    [img

I tend to think of the rating on the left as an indicator of popularity; the more plays a mission has the more stars there are (if the reviews are generally good I think). It seems to be weighted somehow although I don't know how it works.

The "community rating" (right) is an average of the ratings of individual users and seems to be more reflective of how liked a mission is.

I'm fairly certain this is WAI but don't quote me on it. Based on observation I think the system reduces the rating if the mission doesn't have many plays (to overcompensate for the problem where you can have a 5-star rating from a single reviewer that's presumably your second cousin).
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    Well, I just logged in to check on any progress with the foundry's editor. None that I can see. (That's not to say they haven't made any and just haven't implemented it yet)
    However, I recieved an Xbox One-s for Christmas and it is quickly capturing my interest while the foundry is down. As I'm sure Cryptic know's, I did not make my ususal $50+ purchase of Zen this month and I doubt I'll do it next month either. The main thing that has kept my interest in STO, since AoD launched and I beat the handful of missions that came with it, is the anticpation of the return of the foundry.
    While bringing back the missions already made in the foundry was a good start, it is not enough to out-do my interest in my new console. (Yes, I know that STO is on Xbox but I hear that it's no where near as good as on PC. The only reason I would check out the console version is to see the graphics. I run STO on a laptop with a generic video card so my graphics level is turned WAY down.)
    I need a creative outlet and the foundry provided the perfect one. I was able to combine my love of Star Trek, writing, and digital production, and end up with a working, playable story, that I designed, inside of the Star Trek Universe. Without that, the interest that has kept me an active, daily player will only continue to diminish.
    I hope they fix it soon...
    O1P2m6v.png
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    Well, I just logged in to check on any progress with the foundry's editor. None that I can see. (That's not to say they haven't made any and just haven't implemented it yet)
    However, I recieved an Xbox One-s for Christmas and it is quickly capturing my interest while the foundry is down. As I'm sure Cryptic know's, I did not make my ususal $50+ purchase of Zen this month and I doubt I'll do it next month either. The main thing that has kept my interest in STO, since AoD launched and I beat the handful of missions that came with it, is the anticpation of the return of the foundry.
    While bringing back the missions already made in the foundry was a good start, it is not enough to out-do my interest in my new console. (Yes, I know that STO is on Xbox but I hear that it's no where near as good as on PC. The only reason I would check out the console version is to see the graphics. I run STO on a laptop with a generic video card so my graphics level is turned WAY down.)
    I need a creative outlet and the foundry provided the perfect one. I was able to combine my love of Star Trek, writing, and digital production, and end up with a working, playable story, that I designed, inside of the Star Trek Universe. Without that, the interest that has kept me an active, daily player will only continue to diminish.
    I hope they fix it soon...

Well it's January 8th now, I would suspect Cryptic devs are just coming back from end of the year holidays at best so to assume, any progress on the Foundry editor during this time is rather unrealistic to say the least.
    Is the foundry editor actually useable yet?
    Is the foundry editor actually useable yet?

Did you read my post above?

did you read anyone else's, the costume editor is broken
    2aZsSPR.png
    69XzX4O.png

As you can see the costume editor is not working.
    It's been reported and acknowledged, Cryptic's working on it.
  • josemialotjosemialot Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    It's been reported and acknowledged, Cryptic's working on it.

For the last 4 months they claim they are working on it. I think no one belive them at this point.. 4 months.. you can create a hole new system in 4 months.
This discussion has been closed.