test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

curious what planet is the Starbase 1 in the discovery mission

dannalistdannalist Member Posts: 29 Arc User
it cant be earth becuase the klingons never attacked earth according to DS9
Changeing face of evil the klingons were never so bold as to do that so wht planet is the Discovery star base one above if not earth? any plantt ideas really it seems a good thing that the missin seems to be accessable from any where until they have a system for it,

Comments

• khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Starbase_1

Starbase 1 was a Federation starbase administered by Starfleet. It was located one hundred au from Earth, near a planetary body.

The established distance from Earth places the starbase in the scattered disc of the Sol system. It may orbit one of the many icy dwarf planets found in this region of space.
    Close inspection of the planet shown below the starbase seems to reveal features from Earth, such as Lake Michigan and the Florida peninsula. The latter must likely be regarded as a VFX error.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • dannalistdannalist Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    though since they state in DS9 that the last attack on the sol system was close to 200 years before and by not klingons Thats why i was kinf of confused is it a temporal anomoly that it happened but didn't happen sort of hting or was it a single house that did not mention a fools errand on attacking the sol system though they mention a second house in the mission though your comment dose point out it could just be the very edge of the sol system
    reread your post your probalby right on the vfx error thanks
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    I basically see Starbase 1 as being Star Trek's version of Halo's Reach. Last major fortress before the capital sort of thing.
    dannalist wrote: »
    though since they state in DS9 that the last attack on the sol system was close to 200 years before and by not klingons Thats why i was kinf of confused is it a temporal anomoly that it happened but didn't happen sort of hting or was it a single house that did not mention a fools errand on attacking the sol system though they mention a second house in the mission though your comment dose point out it could just be the very edge of the sol system

Technically that is still accurate. No facility or anything WITHIN the Sol System was attacked. Earth was about to, but it was called off.

As for the second House mentioned... in the show we see the aftermath where House D'Ghor claimed the station.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • hawkeyenfo117hawkeyenfo117 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    100 AU is like spitting distance in terms of star systems, about 0.0016 LY. That's about at the termination shock of the solar wind on the leading edge, so some people would still consider that inside the system. Compare that to the ~4.2 LY to Alpha Centauri.
    so likely the issue is that the attack was considered a non major attack comaped to the breens or the xindi attack
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    It wasn't mentioned on screen, but someone on reddit suggested that it might be a dwarf planet Eris.

Eris largest distance from the sun, its Aphelion, is about 97.651 AU, it's Perihelion is 37.911 AU. It is possible the writers either ignored that its distance is so variable, only taking into account its largest distance, or that they actually confused Aphelion and Perihelion distances, since around the time Discovery plays, the dwarf planet is closest to its Perihelion, so not at~100 AU, but more around ~40 AU.
    Eris is currently estimated the heaviest known dwarf planet of the solar system.

It's orbit is not just eccentric, it is also about 44 degrees of the sun-Earth plane.
    Maybe that would be useful to the operation of the base, as it means travel to it can avoid travel lanes between the other planets in our star system and it might have also uninterrupted communication lines to Earth (though I figure the other planets don't matter much to that, the Moon might.) It might be less practical without Star Trek's advanced tech though, I imagine slingshot maneuvers using the other planets would be a lot harder to pull off, since none of them are directly en route.

It is a very bright/reflective world with an albedo of 0.96, and believed to be covered with ice. This would be relatively consistent with the depiction in the show.
    People believe they see landmarks resembling Earth landmarks, but I would argue the similarities are very superficial and could be more based on our preference to see patterns, even if it's just coincidence.
    Though it is possible the VFX team decided to start with an Earth model and then distort it a bit and brighten it up, rather than start from scratch.

Of course, it could be any other, yet unidentified dwarf planet in that area.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.