test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek: Lower Decks animated series

13»

Comments

• redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    Re: the guys claiming this is cloning The Orville: Orville STARTED as half-TNG, half-sitcom, but if you watch the first season it actually shifts more to dramedy pretty quickly. And MacFarlane has said season two is going to take that trend even further.

So, there's a niche for a genuine Star Trek comedy show. I don't know how popular it would be—in past series, comedy episodes that were actually funny were few and far between—but I'll give it a fair chance. And the idea of a series focusing on the also-rans of Starfleet is appealing: one thing I liked about DS9 was that the characters felt more like regular people overall.
    The issue is "why".

If you already like Star Trek: Discovery your subscription to CBS All Access will let you enjoy this new parody cartoon. However, you now have two shows being supported by the same small number of subscribers (keep in mind that STDZ went over budget in season one and season two). So, this show must appeal to a group that is not already watching All Access.

Sci-fi is a niche genre. Star Trek is a niche within a niche. How much overlap is there between fans of Rick and Morty with Star Trek (who also do not currently have an All Access subscription)? Why is the parody cartoon the newest entry in the CBS All Access Star Trek Extravaganza, not the "Picard Show"? You know, the show that might actually increase the number of paying All Access accounts.

Kurtzman torpedoed the Universal cinematic universe (the Dark Universe). I'm certain he is well on his way to doing the same to Star Trek. His lack of oversight in the writing room in Star Trek: Discovery season one is obvious. It also sounds like he was busy "doing something else" during the writing of season two.
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    I could totally write for Lower Decks:

[Klngons beam into the crew's lounge with Bath'lets in hand]

Warrior 1: Oh, hey! Look! They get Wii! We're still on the old Playstation.

Warrior 2: I will destroy you in Madden 13!

Benzite Crewman: Well grab a controller, big guy!

Human Crewman: Did you guys bring some Gagh? We're a little short on Cheetoes.

Tellarite Crewman: Hey! Officers coming! Look sharp!

[Klingon Officers look into the lounge where their warriors are hacking away at the pathetic Federation Crew, then smile and continue on]

Tellarite Crewman: All clear!

Klingon 2: Hey, it was my turn, give me the controller!

Human Crewman: It's going to be TRIBBLE cleaning up all this ketchup. Time for my famous Nacho Chilli Cheese Fries!
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    brian334 wrote: »
    I could totally write for Lower Decks:

[Klngons beam into the crew's lounge with Bath'lets in hand]

Warrior 1: Oh, hey! Look! They get Wii! We're still on the old Playstation.

Warrior 2: I will destroy you in Madden 13!

Benzite Crewman: Well grab a controller, big guy!

Human Crewman: Did you guys bring some Gagh? We're a little short on Cheetoes.

Tellarite Crewman: Hey! Officers coming! Look sharp!

[Klingon Officers look into the lounge where their warriors are hacking away at the pathetic Federation Crew, then smile and continue on]

Tellarite Crewman: All clear!

Klingon 2: Hey, it was my turn, give me the controller!

Human Crewman: It's going to be TRIBBLE cleaning up all this ketchup. Time for my famous Nacho Chilli Cheese Fries!

Need to update the references to 24th Century snacks and gaming systems, but sounds about right.
  • lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    I see nobody is voicing any concerns about the potential quality of the animation itself. The fact that they are going the comedy route is a pretty strong indication they are going to be going with the cheap animation that most western animation studios are churning out today.

----

As for the concerns over continuity. I'm personally of the mind that possibility of the studio giving up on continuity would be the lazy way out for them. When studios abandon pre-established continuity it pretty much confirms they are only making a minimal effort for the project and that they lack any respect for the efforts of the writers who came before them.

Sure you can find excuses to try and rationalize such decisions, but are any of those really satisfying in the long run?
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    What jon said, plus, I could give a plug about 'the quality of animation' if the story is good, and the best animation in the world is irrelevant if the story sucks.

Case in point: contrast Stat Trek: Aurora with Dragonball Z.

Aurora's animation was very good for a guy working in his basement in his off hours, but is hardly TV quality. I have the story committed to long term memory. It is a level of storytelling I will strive to emulate yet never achieve.

Dragonball Z's animation was, for its time, top of the line, (it's what, 30 years old by now?) but I can hardly watch two episodes in a row. If I hadn't had kids going through the DB phase I'd never have witnessed the episodes I did, and I admit some of the artwork in DB is simply sunning in depth and in detail.

So, for me, Claymation with a good story is superior to Pixar-quality animation with a TRIBBLE story.