test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PC Patch Notes and Maintenance on All Platforms

Comments

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    gradii wrote: »
    "It's now looking like it might be 2 or 3pm PT until the PC servers are back online. We deeply apologize for the inconvenience."

I hope people get fired over this. getting very angry. I'm hardly going to get to play at all today.

To be fair, we have no idea what's going on behind the scenes. As someone who works in IT I can tell you that sometimes things don't go well despite your honest intent to be as quick as possible. Without going into too much detail part of my job often includes restoration of services and it's often quite challenging.

I understand you're upset, it sucks if you won't get to play today.. it really does. But hoping people lose their jobs, their lively hood.. without even knowing the situation is really harsh my friend. Speaking as someone who's found themselves on the other side of this before, I can assure you that they want to get things back up just as badly as you want them to get things going.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,316 Arc User
    Sigh 3PM PST means Midnight local time (GMT+1) and i have an alarm going off at 6am for work.
    Looks like no play time till tomorrow evening.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    They say laughter is the best medicine but all i'm feeling is sore ribs
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • taynak420taynak420 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    man whatever guy is doing the hardware replacement is really milking that time-clock... 6.5 hours is a long time to replace some hardware...
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    gotta love how FOUR bullet points on the patch notes takes half a day to do.

However long it takes, I suppose. Not sure how complex the STO servers are, but when it involved deep system patches, you may need to patch in a 'staggered' way (bringing back up one system after the other, patching each one individually, and maybe even reboot a few times along the way (like in Windows). From what I can tell, though, by the patchnotes, it doesn't appear to be that drastic.

I'd say their apparent lack of control of the situation is a mite discouraging, though.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • johnl75johnl75 Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    Well just wait till the new Episode release... Ya best to not even bother tryin to log in for the first week
  • renebrehmer#9819 renebrehmer Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    pork77 wrote: »
    I've abandoned arc after they've abandoned arc quests, so the launcher is my most reliable source of information. Funny though, that even arc is more up to date than the official forums...

For many of us, Arc only serves to prevent us from playing the game. We have to use the old launcher to even get past the engage button. Considering how long ago they started pushing Arc, it's pathetic that it still doesn't work properly. When even EA and Ubi do a better job, you've got a serious problem.
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Yeah I may have been a little harsh since I dont know for absolute sure that it's their fault, but this has happened so often what else could it be? Cryptic having the worst luck of any company in the universe?

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
    Again time is passed but the server is dead :neutral:

It is currently 12:16pm on the west coast... so no time has not passed... yet....
  • guido#7573 guido Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    > To be fair, we have no idea what's going on behind the scenes. As someone who works in IT I can tell you that sometimes things don't go well despite your honest intent to be as quick as possible. Without going into too much detail part of my job often includes restoration of services and it's often quite challenging.

There is a big difference between the "once in a blue moon" event that causes substantial disruption and the "normal" of STO, which is that most weeks you can expect multiple hour outages, and a product that even in between outages is riddled with bugs.

As someone also working in IT, for more than 3 decades, that situation is not, and has never been, either normal or acceptable. It's the sort of shambles that should get an outfit sacked and replaced by a modestly competent one.
  • jcox2jcox2 Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    From FB post

Star Trek Online
    26 mins ·
    It's now looking like it might be 2 or 3pm PT until the PC servers are back online. We deeply apologize for the inconvenience.
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    Can't even start to download the patch as the authenticator seems to be dead too.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • jcox2jcox2 Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    taynak420 wrote: »
    man whatever guy is doing the hardware replacement is really milking that time-clock... 6.5 hours is a long time to replace some hardware...

Its well past that now
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    For folks looking to fill the incomprehensible void between now and ~2 or 3 PT:

https://youtu.be/mRzdt5OkpSA

You can run through it at least twice!
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    Well there's lots of "bugs" that, including myself, we all complain about so hopefully this longer than usual maintenance time will address more than what is just described in the patch notes since that is pretty skim. I don't mind as much nowadays any more time away from STO, it nudges me to perform other activities.
  • johnl75johnl75 Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    Lol this is why i always start my rep projects and Dil refine right b4 a known downtime starts. So in the event they move at warp 1 geting things fixed i at least know i got time b4 my Dil refine and or Rep will suffer
  • korithian1korithian1 Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    Sad that the only comments about this are on twitter. Even the launcher is saying 1PM Pacific. Do they really not care enough to bother to update this thread with some information and just rely on the community.
  • snazell5snazell5 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    the funny thing is the launcher still says 1pm
  • cxeronockxcxeronockx Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    Now we really know the reason why that new zen package for "Enter The Breach" is released! Because they know that it is almost, or entirely, not possible to achieve the required number of Voth Operative Transmission is due to the whole package of maintenance.
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    You know what this reminds me of? That maintenance we had during Summer Event back when the Iconian War was raging. First they extended the downtime several times so the server ended up being down for nearly 12 hours. Then when they were brought back up, the whole thing crashed in 15 minutes or so, so they had to take it down for another four hours.
    Let's hope it is nothing as severe this time,
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • ricosakararicosakara Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    Guess I'll have to wait til after I get off of work @ 9. But then again, I hate doing my STO stuff during the night time. Guess I'll be on again tomorrow then.
  • tritan2409tritan2409 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    ilithyn wrote: »
    You know what this reminds me of? That maintenance we had during Summer Event back when the Iconian War was raging. First they extended the downtime several times so the server ended up being down for nearly 12 hours. Then when they were brought back up, the whole thing crashed in 15 minutes or so, so they had to take it down for another four hours.

I was also thinking along these lines. Really hoping for a better outcome this time.

jcox2 wrote: »

Its well past that now

yeah and now it's going to be longer... like i said... milking that time-clock...

they are replacing server hardware this time... not as simple a fix... but still... way to long to replace server hardware.
  • groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    Just back after a one year involuntary hiatus,
    I see everything is still the same XD
    Still glad to be back though.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User

they are replacing server hardware this time... not as simple a fix... but still... way to long to replace server hardware.

I think it was hardware replacement back then too. I meant, it was the same as today with not actually being game maintenance, but Cryptic/ARC maintenance. But whatever they did or replaced wasn't working as it should even after the extension, so down again the servers went XD
    Yes it was annoying, but also kinda funny.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • angelux#9643 angelux Member Posts: 6 Arc User

"Still glad to be back though."
    My thoughts exactly, @groomofweird
  • rattleshark#0665 rattleshark Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    Most of the time STO patches and maintenance are finished ahead of schedule , cut them a little slack on this one people.
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    Today I'm on a Jiminy Glick binge. Enjoy!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrZXdjcKnss
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    edited September 2018

Welcome back to STO. One year absence huh? The newest thing I'd recommend is if you like the Jem'Hadar a lot get the Jem'Hadar Vanguard Starter pack at least. Believe it or not Cryptic did a generous thing where if you buy that then later decide you want the big Vanguard pack it will be less zen since you bought the starter. Also, for whatever reason, Cryptic has discontinued being able to subscribe to STO. If you're a LTS no affect on you, if you're still subscribbed you can maintain it but once you cease you cannot resubscribe. As a partial substitute I'd recommend looking at purchasing the Elite Starter Pack. It is a pretty good value even when not on sale, but why buy anything unless it's on sale? Otherwise there's a new STO Executive Producer now since a couple of months & Cryptic is still trending in randomizing/gambling more & more aspects of STO including soon to be queuing. Welcome back though, hopefully STO will still be fun for ya.

Also, that portrait pic, is that from Dark Crystal?
This discussion has been closed.