What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Difficulty scaling way off for new players

Comments

• Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »

Yet people in this game (not me) have done it. There have been massive threads on the forum about just that. I was not claiming to be able to do that, but I know people who can.

If so, that's pretty impressive. :) I certainly wouldn't be able to do HSE in a T1 ship at all. Not even close.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    wdwormack214wdwormack214 Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    As someone who 'read'/'listened' to all of the so-called 'tutelage', from all of the "Venerable Veterans" of this mmorpg. I am NOT going to "bite my tongue" about this. What you all 'choose' to call STO on YOUR various systems, is YOUR particular affair. But since NONE of YOU, running STO on MY HP dv7 6b57nr Entertainment laptop. And while I, "can not write a line of programming code, to save my miserable life". As a "lowly computer consumer" who has 'owned' some of the 'earliest' 'Micro-Computers' of the "first consumer computer revolution of previous century". I can say the following with DEFINITE CERTAINTY about STO, and it's 'contemporaries'....

1. It's NOT a 'GAME', it's a 'F***KING' PROGRAM! It was 'NOT' 'CONSTRUCTED', with the 'capacity' to 'COMPREHEND', "HOW to 'PLAY' a 'GAME'. STO, was never constructed, to 'grasp' the concept of 'PLAY'. So it has no need to 'win'. And so, 'losing' is 'irrelevant'.
  • Options
    wdwormack214wdwormack214 Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    > @nikephorus said:
    > The difficulty is fine, but the tutorials are terrible. New players make it to... now 65... and have bad builds and have to come to the forums and make sad posts like this one.

"The 'difficulty' is ALWAYS fine", once you're fortunate enough to attain the necessary equipment. Isn't it?
  • Options
    trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    karmaj wrote: »
    Hiya! I'm a fairly new player. I really enjoy missions and enjoyed space combat up to 45 with no issues. After that the difficulty goes up so much with zero training on what to do. Even if there are optimum builds and all that jazz that seems like it should be goals for high end content and queues, etc. Should I really have to have ultra rare gear just to do the story arc stuff? From what I read it seems so! It really pushes away new players from the game.

Please consider lowering the difficulty of the story arc mission NPC battles. Thanks!

What difficulty level are you playing at? Advanced or Elite can be quite hard if this your first character and you don't have access to some purple crafted gear.
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,513 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    As someone who 'read'/'listened' to all of the so-called 'tutelage', from all of the "Venerable Veterans" of this mmorpg. I am NOT going to "bite my tongue" about this. What you all 'choose' to call STO on YOUR various systems, is YOUR particular affair. But since NONE of YOU, running STO on MY HP dv7 6b57nr Entertainment laptop. And while I, "can not write a line of programming code, to save my miserable life". As a "lowly computer consumer" who has 'owned' some of the 'earliest' 'Micro-Computers' of the "first consumer computer revolution of previous century". I can say the following with DEFINITE CERTAINTY about STO, and it's 'contemporaries'....

1. It's NOT a 'GAME', it's a 'F***KING' PROGRAM! It was 'NOT' 'CONSTRUCTED', with the 'capacity' to 'COMPREHEND', "HOW to 'PLAY' a 'GAME'. STO, was never constructed, to 'grasp' the concept of 'PLAY'. So it has no need to 'win'. And so, 'losing' is 'irrelevant'.

Drunkposting?

I can't recall ever seeing a post in these forums claiming that the STO servers have a desire to win, or any kind of emotions at all. They're servers. They run code that allows us to play a game.

When they aren't running well we do like to claim that their power source is hamsters madly spinning their wheels, but only some of us really believe that.
    Post edited by davefenestrator on
  • Options
    trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Seriously, you should play EvE Online: now *that's* a steep learing curve!
    I can't argue with this, however there is a saying.

"Just because your problems are worse doesn't mean that my problems don't matter."

Part of what the OP said is correct which I agreed with. The game can be difficult to understand at higher levels for a new player for the reasons that I stated. The "fix" for that though is where the OP gets it wrong. Lowering the difficulty is not the answer because the game is not inherently difficult. It's just that new players typically have zero understanding of MMO's and how they work. A new player just needs someone to help them along IMO.

Part of the problem is that the way the game was streamlined over the last few years means that you get from level 1 to level 45 long before you really have time to get acquainted with all the game mechanics. I just created a new Cardassian character and I got to 65 before I even started the Borg storyline. Since I have a lot of other characters and have completed the Delta, AoY, Gamma events it is very easy to get reputation gear. A new player does not have access to that and by the time you get to the Breen and Borg-Undine missions the difficult level increases by a few notches.
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • Options

Rant much?! I don't even fully get what you're on about; but be sure not to pop a vein. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    kyle223catkyle223cat Member Posts: 584 Arc User

Jesus, this has got to be the craziest post I've ever seen on these forums. What's with all the quotes? lol
    da84303d8bc4080b9860968f634f98682215bbe5.gifv
  • Options
    kyle223cat wrote: »

Jesus, this has got to be the craziest post I've ever seen on these forums. What's with all the quotes? lol

^^ What kyle223cat said. :p
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited September 2018

https://youtu.be/yptXkLglKkA
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options

https://youtu.be/yptXkLglKkA

^^ That was probably the wittiest 'reply' I've ever read here! You, Sir, win the Internetz, for today. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited September 2018

This is how you look to the rest of us.

63E53AS.png
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    > @wdwormack214 said:
    > > @nikephorus said:
    > > The difficulty is fine, but the tutorials are terrible. New players make it to... now 65... and have bad builds and have to come to the forums and make sad posts like this one.
    >
    > "The 'difficulty' is ALWAYS fine", once you're fortunate enough to attain the necessary equipment. Isn't it?

Yeah your snooty post changed my mind. You should get all the best gear, traits, ships, and builds handed to you on a silver platter. No work at all should be required.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    trygvar13 wrote: »
    Hiya! I'm a fairly new player. I really enjoy missions and enjoyed space combat up to 45 with no issues. After that the difficulty goes up so much with zero training on what to do. Even if there are optimum builds and all that jazz that seems like it should be goals for high end content and queues, etc. Should I really have to have ultra rare gear just to do the story arc stuff? From what I read it seems so! It really pushes away new players from the game.

Please consider lowering the difficulty of the story arc mission NPC battles. Thanks!
    What difficulty level are you playing at? Advanced or Elite can be quite hard if this your first character and you don't have access to some purple crafted gear.
    You mean common mark XII gear that you can get on the exchange for like 10k a piece? I'm sorry that you are such a terrible gamer that such resources are out of your reach...but seriously...you might wanna quite all games if your mind can't handle such a simple task in such a simple game.
    If you have dil and the R&D mats, you can manufacture your own EPIC gear.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    karmajkarmaj Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Thanks for all the comments.

If you have not played a new character with zero rep buffs, etc in the last few months I suggest you try it. A lot of people that have played in the past that have recently come back after ViL launch have also complained about a difficulty jump around 45 or 50. Anyone saying that is untrue or new players need to "git gud" should give it a try. You go from being able to slot mission and queue drops and doing fine to dying very quickly. I purchased a T6 battlecruiser. I even tried to redo early missions to get some better equipment with the same results.

Now, all that does not mean there aren't ways to mitigate these issues and some of that was mentioned here. Personally, I tried to read up a bunch but the majority of talk on forums, reddit, youtube is all about max dps builds. It is hard to find mid level builds. My fleet helped me out with matching beam weps and consoles but I was still dying quickly.

FINALLY, a fleet mate that kept on trying to help me and finally realized I had traits and bridge officer skills all slotted to maximize DPS. They helped me swap all that out with a lot more shield and hull buff skills and guess what? I had a lot more survivability and can have fun doing missions again. No where IN GAME do you learn what you need to do to survive this gap.

Thanks for reading and have a good weekend.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,513 Arc User
    > and finally realized I had traits and bridge officer skills all slotted to maximize DPS.

I did warn you about that above :)

> No where IN GAME do you learn what you need to do to survive this ga

I just leveled up a new Romulan captain recently, and I'd mostly agree. I think there was one mention of Hazard Emitters in one mission, and another that suggested you switch power levels to defensive (which usually isn't the best choice) but nothing suggesting you want Engineering + Science + Tacttical team when possible, plus a shield buff and Polarize Hull or something else for control effects.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I have in fact very recently run a brand new toon from 1 to 65, with no assistance from my other toons (as I originally planned to delete the character), and no I didn't have any problems at 45 or any other level.
    Heh, I did CC on my Gamma recruit using Mk12 gear and got 2nd a few times. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    FINALLY, a fleet mate that kept on trying to help me...
    Good to hear. Getting direct help is always the best way to move forward.

Post edited by salazarraze on
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    Salazar, I didn't say that.
    Thanks. I fixed my botched quote snip.
  • Options
    nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    you have to adapt, too. up to about level 40 you can wallow in and duke it out. after that you sometimes need to get out of dodge long enough to repair shields and hull then go back in
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    Thanks for all the comments.

If you have not played a new character with zero rep buffs, etc in the last few months I suggest you try it. A lot of people that have played in the past that have recently come back after ViL launch have also complained about a difficulty jump around 45 or 50. Anyone saying that is untrue or new players need to "git gud" should give it a try. You go from being able to slot mission and queue drops and doing fine to dying very quickly. I purchased a T6 battlecruiser. I even tried to redo early missions to get some better equipment with the same results.

Now, all that does not mean there aren't ways to mitigate these issues and some of that was mentioned here. Personally, I tried to read up a bunch but the majority of talk on forums, reddit, youtube is all about max dps builds. It is hard to find mid level builds. My fleet helped me out with matching beam weps and consoles but I was still dying quickly.

FINALLY, a fleet mate that kept on trying to help me and finally realized I had traits and bridge officer skills all slotted to maximize DPS. They helped me swap all that out with a lot more shield and hull buff skills and guess what? I had a lot more survivability and can have fun doing missions again. No where IN GAME do you learn what you need to do to survive this gap.

Thanks for reading and have a good weekend.

The best defense is a good offense. This is especially true for this game. You need to slot DPS increasing skills everywhere. Or debuffs at the very least.

And yeah, I recently leveled a cardassian toon from zero to hero. And while yes, it had unlimited resource available for her it was a piece of cake. This is a TRIBBLE easy game if you keep it on normal difficulty. It's a perfectly balanced game.

I'm not a min-maxer, I love to build toons how like them. Optical tuning is very important for me. Tho yes, I love to read about top DPS builds.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    On normal difficulty one does not need to min-max. One can balance out damage with survivability. I have no trouble with content doing that.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User

I need to ask a silly question. What mission? Because my first character for STO I found I could replay missions and leveled up on rescuing the SS Azura and shuttling a Vulcan ambassador. Then trying the whole game from 40+ and was overwhelmed because everything levels with you and there is a curve where your ship effectiveness goes down compared to NPCs of your level. So hitting beefed up missions not scaled to the level you are might be a surprise.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,988 Arc User
    FINALLY, a fleet mate that kept on trying to help me...
    Good to hear. Getting direct help is always the best way to move forward.

QFT. My own game play improved immensely years ago after joining a good fleet and getting advice, comparing ideas, and doing things with fleet mates. This isn't going to happen as quickly if at all for some who go the solo route, speaking from the perspective of myself after just starting STO as my first online game some years ago.

Can't over emphasize how important this interactive flow of knowledge and experience is. As my own fleet's interactions diminished in later years my own game play plateaued to an extent. But after finding another group of folks who are simply OCD about being the best you can be, lo and behold with renewed interactions came new ideas and things to try and things were moving forward again.

Am also glad to hear things are working better for you now.

This discussion has been closed.