test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Whats the pen mob drop rate?

postinggumpostinggum Member Posts: 1,117 Arc User
There are eight mods for beam arrays, four old school and four special, and three mod slots with only one special being allowed and if present they are listed last.

If pen is only an option for the last slot and all mods are equally likely it should be one in eight, but what are people getting?

Comments

• Options
    When crafting what proportion should I expect on normal weapons?
  • Options
    Sounds like they are doing the first two slots from the old mods and the last from all of them.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Pen mod is like anything else in this game, it's just random chance.

A while back, I decided to make a few Dual Heavy Cannons with Pen on them.. I had a heck of a time.. I probably made about 50 of them before I got the 3 I needed.

Yesterday, decided to make some turrets, first 3 tries.. pen on all of them.

Overall though, it's not too hard, just keep cranking em out. The nice thing is you only need the Pen mod, you can re-engineer the other mods so you no longer have to hold out for that perfect damagex2 or critD x2 with Pen. Those things took forever.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    You're better of getting weapons you want of the exchange that already has [PEN] modifier, then using re-engineering to change the other modifiers on the weapon to your liking.
  • Options
    You're better of getting weapons you want of the exchange that already has [PEN] modifier, then using re-engineering to change the other modifiers on the weapon to your liking.

Depends on the weapon in question.

Phaser Dual Cannons for example, when I was crafting mine, I could only find a couple listed on the exchange and VR Mark II's were going for 2M a pop.. that's silly when I can make them for almost nothing.

People still charge a premium for Pen, they're usually far cheaper to craft.
  • Options
    trek1961trek1961 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    What is the crafting way to go? Do I craft the lowest crafting level (MK II, if I am not mistaken?), and level the item up from there and hope for a rarity boost? Or do I craft the highest MK level?

Thanks for any advice!
  • Options
    trek1961 wrote: »
    What is the crafting way to go? Do I craft the lowest crafting level (MK II, if I am not mistaken?), and level the item up from there and hope for a rarity boost? Or do I craft the highest MK level?

Thanks for any advice!

You want to craft the item at Mark II Very Rare (Purple.)

You will then wait for an upgrade weekend as the amount of tech points are doubled during this event. You don't have to do this, but it's the most cost effective method.

When Upgrade Weekend comes around, upgrade the Mark II item with an Omega Kit if you can. The Omega Kit gives a 4x chance of quality upgrade so it's your best bet if you're shooting for Epic. You can increase your odds even further by combining this with a Research Accelerator that increases chance of rarity upgrade. This should take the item to about Mark VII or VIII and give you about a 40% chance to upgrade the quality every time it increases in mark. This puts the odds greatly in your favor that you will hit the Epic goal before you run out of Tech Points. You can then finish taking it to Mark XV using Phoenix Upgrades if you have them, or Superior Kits if you don't.

You can't buy Omega Kits off the exchange but you can craft them using Omega Fragments. You buy 3 of those and combine them in your RnD Tab to create an Omega Upgrade Kit. Barring that, your 2nd best bet is probably Superior Experimental Upgrade kits since those give you a 2x chance of Quality Upgrade. The Accelerator usually runs around 2M on the exchange, so even if you buy the Omega's it's still going to cost far less then trying to buy a Mark XV Epic item.

As far as Mods go, you can re-engineer them if you get mods you don't want. The only thing to keep in mind is that if you want something like Pen, you need to make sure the item already has the Pen Mod at Mark II. You cannot add that later, and you cannot change it. It needs to have Pen from the very start.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    Thank you!
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Doesn't really take much literature, they give +31.9 to the Hull Penetration skill at Ultra Rare. Each point gives 0.1 Penetration, so you can do the math if you want, but Napalm already did it for you. The Damage Resist and the Cool down are both very small values, those things are better achieved through other means. It gets really confusing here, because now you have to use 'Cryptic lingo' to determine what you're actually getting. Believe it or not 'Hull Penetration' and 'Armor Penetration' are not the same thing. Hull Penetration is the skill, Armor Penetration is the mod/effect. Armor Pen is much stronger then Hull Penetration (it takes 250 Hull Pen to equal 25 points of Armor Pen.) Source.

Look, they're fine if you have absolutely nothing else to put in a console slot. But it's really easy to find consoles that will give you better returns then those things. Frankly, the idea of slotting 4 of them is just silly. You get more Pen just from the Pen mod, Attack Pattern Beta, Cold Hearted, etc. It's silly to use valuable console slots for such a small return. You only have 11 consoles, you have to make them count.
  • Options
    No offence, but name some alternatives then, please.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    trek1961 wrote: »
    No offence, but name some alternatives then, please.

All of the ones Napalm listed.

On top of those, I would put Conductive RCS Consoles above those especially ones with resist mods, turn, EPG, or EPS. Also defensive consoles like the Protomater console or the Shielding consoles of the Battlecruisers. Timeline Stabilizer, D.O.M.I.N.O. is another good one, any ship set consoles like the Flagship Technologies set. Also consoles that boost your energy type like Quantum Phase, Crystaline Absorbtion, Emitter Re-focuser, etc. Consoles that complete a set like the Reinforced Armorments, Hydrodynamics Compensator, etc.

Basically, you give me a ship and a build and I'll have no problem finding you 4 consoles better then Xenotech Engineering consoles.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I think I'd listen to coldnapalm on this one, if I were going for a vape build, which I am not interested in.

Still it's good advice for just about any kind of build. But everyone has their own thing, I know that. So we can all have fun doing our own thing.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    If you really think they sound that great, then by all means go ahead.

There is a reason though that none of the DPS builds anywhere feature these consoles. If you think you have found a hidden gem that no one else knows about though then feel free.. it's your build.
  • Options
    That's cool.. glad they work for you.

I won't be using them on my build, but to each their own. Enjoy! :smile: