test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Question about reporting Player behaviour to a GM.

Comments

• Options
    uframmuframm Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Unfortunately I have to agree with seaofsorrows re: chat

It is disgraceful the way some people talk and insult people, races and cultures.

I just minimise chat windows now as it is not worth getting annoyed by it. Most of the hateful commenters are only looking for a reaction anyway.
  • Options
    dancel08#7157 dancel08 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    Nothing will happen to afk players during missions. Play with 4, be idle or warp out, what choice do you have, pick one. I don't think reporting does anything.
  • Options
    artanisenartanisen Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    Here is a thought. By doing Nothing is exploiting the game. Gaining and unfair advantage over others. Not playing the game as intended. Which is against the rules.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    There are many people who afk in events and it sucks. Cryptic does nothing about it. Many of these losers even boast about their afking in chat. Personally, I'd perma-ban their accounts after seeing them do that after a few times. It'd only take a few, then the rest of these sloths would shape up!
  • Options
    bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    The problem is that Cryptic/PWE need a lot of evidence to show that the ToS is being violated enough to support a ban, their legal teams will TRIBBLE bricks otherwise and could even block the ban.

In this case however this player is clearly using an exploit to get around the penalty system, a clear violation of the ToS, so Cryptic can safely ban his worthless TRIBBLE$ without the legal team sweating buckets over it.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    > @ruinthefun said:
    > Back on NW, where GMs apparently actually interacted with the playerbase, they stated straight up that there is no rule against doing nothing and players will not be punished for not doing anything in this way. I imagine it's somewhat difficult to punish a player for literally doing nothing.

My uneducated opinion, they're wrong to do that. The Terms of Service do, in fact, contain a rule against trolling and griefing.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    1. Skipping optional objectives is not trolling or griefing
    2. Cryptic designed these missions to reward waiting out timers, so players claiming that waiting out the timers is not playing as intended are obviously wrong
    3. The only "exploit" you need to avoid the so-called "AFK penalty," is a short burst of BFAW with a half-decent DPS
  • Options
    artanisenartanisen Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    > @ruinthefun said:
    > Back on NW, where GMs apparently actually interacted with the playerbase, they stated straight up that there is no rule against doing nothing and players will not be punished for not doing anything in this way. I imagine it's somewhat difficult to punish a player for literally doing nothing.

Don't think GM's are suppose to confess and admit to something like that publicly. Thats literally saying they are not doing there job.

> @starswordc said:
    >My uneducated opinion, they're wrong to do that. The Terms of Service do, in fact, contain a rule against trolling and griefing.

Trolling, Griefing, Exploiting the ToS, Exploiting the game not playing it as intended.

Quite amazing. i haven't played star trek online in a long time and to my surprise the afking during stf missions is still an issue.
    still don't quite understand why they still have pve queue missions this feature should have been removed along time ago when they started to introduced Adventure zones.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    > @warpangel said:
    > 1. Skipping optional objectives is not trolling or griefing
    > 2. Cryptic designed these missions to reward waiting out timers, so players claiming that waiting out the timers is not playing as intended are obviously wrong
    > 3. The only "exploit" you need to avoid the so-called "AFK penalty," is a short burst of BFAW with a half-decent DPS

You're missing the point. If everyone else in the instance is participating as best they can and expressing a desire for you to participate as well, and you'd rather zone in and then go AFK to make a sandwich, YOU are the problem, not them, and I will report you and then consider you fair game for kiting battleships onto your head. Also I seriously doubt Cryptic deliberately designed ANYTHING so people could fly 150 km away from the mission and just hide until the boss stage. It's just not something gaming companies do, because visual novels notwithstanding, games are meant to be PLAYED, not WATCHED. Ergo any cases where you can do that and still get rewarded are, by definition, exploits.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    starswordc wrote: »
    You're missing the point. If everyone else in the instance is participating as best they can and expressing a desire for you to participate as well, and you'd rather zone in and then go AFK to make a sandwich, YOU are the problem, not them, and I will report you and then consider you fair game for kiting battleships onto your head.
    If it makes you feel better, go ahead. Not like either of those affects the target in any way. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time.
    Also I seriously doubt Cryptic deliberately designed ANYTHING so people could fly 150 km away from the mission and just hide until the boss stage. It's just not something gaming companies do, because visual novels notwithstanding, games are meant to be PLAYED, not WATCHED. Ergo any cases where you can do that and still get rewarded are, by definition, exploits.
    But they DID do exactly that. They put in several missions a timer or series of timers that, once they reach 0, makes the players win completely independent of what, if anything, anyone did in the mission. You can't possibly claim they made all these missions this way by accident.
  • Options
    cxeronockxcxeronockx Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    Today experienced teams who scream for assist but give assist themselves that is too difficult, and then some players are angry that players are AFK or MIA. First look at the playing style of those who complain most about players who go to AFK or MIA. In any case, I will go AFK if I see that I do not get any assist for a second
  • Options
    ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    cxeronockx wrote: »
    Today experienced teams who scream for assist but give assist themselves that is too difficult, and then some players are angry that players are AFK or MIA. First look at the playing style of those who complain most about players who go to AFK or MIA. In any case, I will go AFK if I see that I do not get any assist for a second

Possibly. But there's also the problem of players in need of assistance who refuse to listen to advices when they receive them, though.

I observed one such case years ago when the Borg STFs were still considered something of a challenge, since the ENTIRE mission would fail if you failed the Optional. It was during a run of Khitomer in Stasis in fact just before reaching the force field that needs you to kill a certain number of Borg before deactivating.

In that particular instance, we had already killed enough Borg and the path was clear, but one of our teammates had had to respawn at the entrance of the complex after being killed in that room. So a couple of us returned to the entrance to help him rejoin the group, but instead of just ignoring the remaining drones and following us through the force field, he would just run in and shoot at them (and of course, die) repeatedly despite us telling him (both in chat and via IM) this was not necessary, and that he just needed to make a run for it.

Meanwhile, the clock was ticking, we were short on time for the optional, and the mission was ultimately a failure... And yet, it would have been just a matter of reading the chat on his part to make his life (and ours) easier.
  • Options
    scotty8863scotty8863 Member Posts: 34 Arc User

@seaofsorrows , Leech Alert!
  • Options
    ashstorm1 wrote: »

Possibly. But there's also the problem of players in need of assistance who refuse to listen to advices when they receive them, though.

I observed one such case years ago when the Borg STFs were still considered something of a challenge, since the ENTIRE mission would fail if you failed the Optional. It was during a run of Khitomer in Stasis in fact just before reaching the force field that needs you to kill a certain number of Borg before deactivating.

In that particular instance, we had already killed enough Borg and the path was clear, but one of our teammates had had to respawn at the entrance of the complex after being killed in that room. So a couple of us returned to the entrance to help him rejoin the group, but instead of just ignoring the remaining drones and following us through the force field, he would just run in and shoot at them (and of course, die) repeatedly despite us telling him (both in chat and via IM) this was not necessary, and that he just needed to make a run for it.

Meanwhile, the clock was ticking, we were short on time for the optional, and the mission was ultimately a failure... And yet, it would have been just a matter of reading the chat on his part to make his life (and ours) easier.
    It's entirely possible they had their chat closed, or didn't understand english. You would've done better to leave him behind and continue the mission. Need to know when to give up on a lost cause. Doubt he would've been any help in the node room anyway, if he couldn't even get down the entrance without dying.

As an aside, I do so miss those fail conditions. Much better than, for example, getting stuck in that node room forever (or rather, until ragequit) with a team of useless pugs who despite specific instructions never managed to coordinate lowering the shields and shooting the nodes well enough to destroy even one of them.
  • Options
    cxeronockxcxeronockx Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    scotty8863 wrote: »

@seaofsorrows , Leech Alert!

To read your reaction you could be one of those players that I mention in my reaction, so as to attack someone immediately one would immediately get that idea.
  • Options
    jrq2jrq2 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    Well if you stop and think about it this game was basically designed for trolls and the lazy.

This game has a built-in mechanic that if you join a team queue and you leave early you get a leaver penalty which many trolls have exploited to their advantage.

There are some team mission where one player can literally block Mission progress and hold the team hostage until they leave and if they choose to leave they get the leaver penalty which is a big win for the troll.

There is also a game mechanic which lets one player spam mission invites to other players which can severely disrupt mission progression.

And the other annoying thing that comes out quite often is having to deal with greedy players who love to jump into high level mission when they are clearly not ready for so they end up failing the mission due to lack of mission knowledge.

My guess is not many players would really mind too much for the greedy players except the state of the game as is right now it takes quite a while for team Mission queues to pop and to have waited that long for the mission to pop only for it to end in utter failure and no reward can be very frustrating when it happens several times during one gaming session.

Cryptic knows that this game relies on constant grinding which means a player may have to repeat the same team mission several dozen times to collect enough currency to progress in the game and yet there is no game mechanic to prevent an inexperienced player from joining high level mission and severely handicapping the team to a no win situation.

So the average player in this game has to deal with the lazy the greedy and the extremely annoying.

Lazy = AFK players

Greedy = Players that join high level missions when not ready just to get the better reward.

Annoying = Trolls

And there is nothing you can do about these players in the game. In fact, any player that gets frustrated with the above players can be punished by Cryptic 4 expressing their frustration in team chat.

As you can see, this game caters more to the greedy, lazy, and annoying than it does to the regular player.
  • Options
    jrq2 wrote: »
    My guess is not many players would really mind too much for the greedy players except the state of the game as is right now it takes quite a while for team Mission queues to pop and to have waited that long for the mission to pop only for it to end in utter failure and no reward can be very frustrating when it happens several times during one gaming session.
    Most queues can't fail these days. At all. The specific queues at issue in this thread literally win themselves, the hardest part is getting enough people to queue up for it to start. So if it's popped everyone's pretty much already won.

Was different back when there were fail conditions.
  • Options
    littlesarbonnlittlesarbonn Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    For the record, I can't tell you how many times I've died within the first moments of that fight. They really do swarm you in the beginning, and if you're not pretty powered (and even if you are), chances are you're going to be taking a 10 second dirt nap in the beginning of this mission. But I always come back after I revive and fight with full gusto. Never really seem to die after that very beginning salvo.
    Fleet Admiral Duane Gundrum, U.S.S. Merrimack
    Fleet Admiral Ventaxa Proxmire, U.S.S. Shaka Walls Fell
    Blog: http://www.sarbonn.com/?page_id=1990
    Foundry series: Bob From Accounting & For the Sake of the Empire
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    @Ashstorm1 I had a case of the opposite happen. In Infected Advance space, Me in a fleet Sovie, a guy in a scimatar and three Dyson science destroyers. Me and the DSD's went left and the scimatar went right. Scimi popped a transformer and left the match, leaving me and the dsd's. We finished the left and went to the right after a few minutes I realized I was still alone and looked around, saw the dsd's trying to take out the spheres on the left. In chat I just stated "Keep the nanites off of me and we can finish this." For the rest of the game I kept giving out instructions. Always calmly and no name calling or anything like that. I was surprised to see that the did follow the instructions. We finished the que and got our goodies. The only thing they typed in chat was gg.

As for the Ops subject. I myself haven't seen this but maybe that's because I am too busy to pay attention to what the others are doing. Let alone have enough time to report and file a ticket on them while playing a que.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    That's my problem when in a queue, I don't pay attention to whether anyone is afking or not, I just try to help get things done.

OTOH, if someone advises me to do X then I will, because they probably know more about it than I do.

But I certainly wouldn't tell them to STFU.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    azrael605 wrote: »
    There very much is something you can do. For example, playing MI and you get afkers I find they get just as annoyed when I refuse to afk & then drag a terran train over to them. Same thing with Sompak & the "5 & die" crowd. I've never actually seen anyone "block the whole mission" but there's ways to s.c.r.e.w with those people too, none of which are punishable under the ToS.

One of the things he's possibly thinking of: In certain ground STFs it's possible to block access to map areas with Cover Shields.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    There very much is something you can do. For example, playing MI and you get afkers I find they get just as annoyed when I refuse to afk & then drag a terran train over to them. Same thing with Sompak & the "5 & die" crowd. I've never actually seen anyone "block the whole mission" but there's ways to s.c.r.e.w with those people too, none of which are punishable under the ToS.

One of the things he's possibly thinking of: In certain ground STFs it's possible to block access to map areas with Cover Shields.

This happened to me during Defend Rh'ihho station on Elite. Some obvious troll/griefer found amusing to pop a cover shield right in front of the ladder going down the shaft to the combat zone itself...

Yeah, sadly that sort of brood is everywhere.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    > @warpangel said:
    > 1. Skipping optional objectives is not trolling or griefing
    > 2. Cryptic designed these missions to reward waiting out timers, so players claiming that waiting out the timers is not playing as intended are obviously wrong
    > 3. The only "exploit" you need to avoid the so-called "AFK penalty," is a short burst of BFAW with a half-decent DPS

You're missing the point. If everyone else in the instance is participating as best they can and expressing a desire for you to participate as well, and you'd rather zone in and then go AFK to make a sandwich, YOU are the problem, not them, and I will report you and then consider you fair game for kiting battleships onto your head. Also I seriously doubt Cryptic deliberately designed ANYTHING so people could fly 150 km away from the mission and just hide until the boss stage. It's just not something gaming companies do, because visual novels notwithstanding, games are meant to be PLAYED, not WATCHED. Ergo any cases where you can do that and still get rewarded are, by definition, exploits.

^^ Very well said! Leave it to a Dental to assume 'taking advantage & exploitation' are the natural state! :P
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

Translation: I need someone to carry me or I will quit.
    Insert witty signature line here.