test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Tac Captain Power Nerfed?

From today's patch notes:

Level 63 captain powers:
Co-opt Energy Weapons:
Duration increased from 5 seconds to 15 seconds.
Radius increased from 3km to 5km
Healing percentage increased from 10% to 25%

Intrusive Energy Redirection:
Duration increased from 10 seconds to 15 seconds
Base power drained from targets increased from 10 to 25
Base power gained changed from 5-21 to 10-25 based on targets hit
Bonus weapon damage is now 10% per target hit from 5%
Bonus weapon damage now affects all weapons

Vulnerability Assessment Sweep:
Vulnerability Assessment Sweep no longer debuffs foe's Damage Resistance Rating
It now gives the player and nearby allied players Armor Penetration for 15 seconds, based on the number of allies hit.

The eng and sci powers both got huge buffs, but the tac one looks rekt. Not only does it swap a res debuff for armor pen which I believe was ruined back in season 13, but it now depends on number of allies, so in a single player mission it won't get scaled. KHAAAAAAN

Comments

• Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    We got new captain powers?

Huh.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    If it's +20 skillpoints in Armor pen, then, indeed, we're talking major nerf here. On channel, however, ppl told me it's a lot more, actually. Compare it to the +5 from Enhanced Armor Pen Trait: then suddenly +20 don't look so bad no more. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    redvenge wrote: »
    We got new captain powers?

Huh.

Yes, at level 63, you get one of those spiffy powers mentioned in the OP, depending on your profession. They're quite nice, actually.

And the tac one works fine, I was using it today.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User
    If I am going to be blunt, that Tac Captain ability needed to be hit with a nerf. It was being discussed on Reddit/Sto, about exactly how much tac captains where getting with that ability originally.

A majority agreed giving a science captain ability to a tac captain, who already does massive damage and DRR was silly. This one, is overall a bit more balanced.

The science & Engineer ones, badly needed some increases or improvements. Time will tell if the changes are good. I think it was Borticius on reddit several weeks ago who confirmed for us he was looking at the powers. Because i remember the thread discussing the engineer captain ability in the eyes of alot of engineer captains was that crappy and bad, it was almost an insult.
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • Options
    foxman00 wrote: »
    If I am going to be blunt, that Tac Captain ability needed to be hit with a nerf. It was being discussed on Reddit/Sto, about exactly how much tac captains where getting with that ability originally.

A majority agreed giving a science captain ability to a tac captain, who already does massive damage and DRR was silly. This one, is overall a bit more balanced.

The science & Engineer ones, badly needed some increases or improvements. Time will tell if the changes are good. I think it was Borticius on reddit several weeks ago who confirmed for us he was looking at the powers. Because i remember the thread discussing the engineer captain ability in the eyes of alot of engineer captains was that crappy and bad, it was almost an insult.

If I am going to be blunt, I don't like an elitist reddit clique determining what needs to be nerfed. Devs should post on their official forum, and not be egged on by 150k+ DPS-ers, in a corner of reddit somewhere, who won't ever feel the nerfs they propose.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    meimeitoo wrote: »

If I am going to be blunt, I don't like an elitist reddit clique determining what needs to be nerfed. Devs should post on their official forum, and not be egged on by 150k+ DPS-ers, in a corner of reddit somewhere, who won't ever feel the nerfs they propose.

A lot of the people commenting where not high DPSers, but a decent section of the building community. Also, you think these DPSers on purpose tell devs to do certain nerfs in their opinion because they wont feel it. Alot of the redditors are decent people who will give cryptic hell for a mistake, and give their honest opinions, based on facts.

The Tac Captain power ability originally was far too much. We told the devs during our tribble testing, as well as expressed our concerns regarding the science and engineer powers which needed some love. Judging by things, and potentially looking at their own numbers, looks like the devs agreed with us.

While some high DPSers are arses, i dont count the group on reddit as those types. Additionally, we are more than willing to really give it to the devs if we feel they have made a mistake.

I would suggest going over there and reading several of the threads, especially on reddit/sto builds, and see with your own eyes exactly what these people are like.
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • Options

A lot of the people commenting where not high DPSers, but a decent section of the building community. Also, you think these DPSers on purpose tell devs to do certain nerfs in their opinion because they wont feel it. Alot of the redditors are decent people who will give cryptic hell for a mistake, and give their honest opinions, based on facts.

The Tac Captain power ability originally was far too much. We told the devs during our tribble testing, as well as expressed our concerns regarding the science and engineer powers which needed some love. Judging by things, and potentially looking at their own numbers, looks like the devs agreed with us.

While some high DPSers are arses, i dont count the group on reddit as those types. Additionally, we are more than willing to really give it to the devs if we feel they have made a mistake.

I would suggest going over there and reading several of the threads, especially on reddit/sto builds, and see with your own eyes exactly what these people are like.

Fair enough, I suppose. I just don't like cliques.

In all honesty, though, first day that vulnerability sweep was introduced, I immediately thought "Yeah, that's really what Tact Captains need, yet another major hull debuff!" Thematically, I've always felt hull debuffs are the domain of Engineers; so I'd like to see some of these powers shifted to them, instead.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    Actually I feel that hull debuffs are more in the domain of sci captains,am I wrong?
  • Options
    forerunnerknight#7803 forerunnerknight Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Has anyone tried the newly buffed sci power yet,how is it?
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Before today, the Tac Level 63 captain power was undeniably better than the Gimp-E class and Gimp-S class Level 63 powers. I'm looking forward to testing out the changes tonight on my Tacs and Gimps to see what the difference is.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    Actually I feel that hull debuffs are more in the domain of sci captains,am I wrong?

I dunno. In-game, things like DRB and such are Sci powers. But stuff that deals with undermining the structural integrity of a ship (as well as reenforcing it) , that just feels like the domain of an Engineer. At least SIC is an Engi power.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    *Ahem*

Good.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User

It’s always a question as to how you want to set up a character. DRR debuffs are well spread between tactical and science boffs powers by now, some even engineering.

The really only thing which is class related or indicates anything in the direction of trinity are the few handful of captain’s powers. But even here we get the debuffs for tacs as well as scis.
    With the additional space captains abilities I was hoping that cryptic would make the three different classes a bit more pronounced but instead we got a random mix.

Would be easy for cryptic to direct DPS related tac captains power to weapons related dps only, make similar adjustments to epg for scis and perhaps further emphasis on +/- threat mechanics for engineers to give them easier means to tank. But no.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    The changes might be for the better, but I would have preferred if Tac had gotting some defensive/movement related power, and Engineering would have gotten something that helps its damage output more.

Tacs are already the recommended class for anything because the damage buffs of the class are more valuable than the other powers usually. And Engineers really need more help, too.
    Science Captains... I am not really interested in what I got and would probably also prefer some offensive oriented debuff or buff, but so be it. But most of my characters are already science, so they don't seem to be doing so bad or in need of it.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    Speaking as a science main I found the Ppre-patch science ability to be far too situation specific. Its essentially an:

'Oh TRIBBLE going to die, click the thingy!'

ability, but if you clicked it while the enemy was more then 3km from you it wasn't going to help.

The concept of a very short duration 'Oh TRIBBLE!" ability isn't actually a bad one for a scientist running a mega well build. That moment when you put down the hurt on all of the things within a 24km diameter murder ball and they all hate you can certainly benefit from it. The range just wasn't sufficient.

Still what i really would have liked would have been something to boost debuff powers. Because lets face it, anything worth debuffing, over outright nuking, is either highly resistant or immune. A debuff to your target that gives them -200 CtrlX and -200 DrainX would have made me super happy.

Though I know such an ability would be meaningless for the DPS folks.... still they are mostly playing tacs any way so I doubt they would have minded.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Meh, whatever the game is easy.

But now the name doesn't make one lick of sense...I mean, who's vulnerability are you assessing if it scans your allies?
  • Options
    casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    It wasn't nerfed. It was adjusted to reflect the typical tactical debuff bonus. Weapon pen > resist debuff.

Sci has already that skill - called Sensor Scan.

Now you can properly stack those two without hitting a res debuff hardcap.
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    My Romulan tactical captain had about 13 buff buttons for alphas before the new ability came out. I think I'll live if this gets whacked with the nerf bat.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

To be fair, the people you have an issue with are the ones out there doing the math, parsing abilities and sending data to Cryptic. They're the ones out there actually figuring out how well things do and do not work. DPS players don't cry for nerfs, usually quite the opposite, but they do report when something is massively over powered or simply doesn't make any sense.

The reddit base is no different then any other public forum, it's a mix of all types of players from the most casual to the 'best of the best.' The thing is, the DPS crowd is the one gathering the hard research and the core numbers that Cryptic needs to analyze how something is (or isn't) working. They make this information freely available to everyone and frequently help players to improve their game if they want that.

I'm not sure how that classifies as 'elitist.'
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    It doesn't matter whether they buffed this or nerfed that or left something just as it was.

What matters is that the end result is where it should be.

If the Science and Engineering Captain abilitiess were underperforming then give them a buff.
    If the Tactical Captain ability was overperforming then give it a nerf.

Nothing wrong with that.

Just as if the Tac ability was underperforming it should get a buff and if the Eng and/or Sci ability was overperforming then they would get a nerf.

It's all just part of the process.
  • Options

It's all just part of the process.

And that's the real issue.

We always have this process because nothing is properly tested before being implemented. They use the live server as the test bed and 'adjust as they go.'

The issue here is that players often re-adapt their builds to certain abilities only to then later have them changed. The only part that annoys me is that if this ability was so badly over performing, why was it implemented in the first place?
  • Options
    bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    As others put it, this is not a nerf but a re-balance among Tacts, Eng and Sci. Cryptic gives it and so it takes it back since no way to test in tribble. This is Cryptic's fault for not testing properly but very unfortunate how they usually do things. However, there was plenty of discussion in reddit before this roll out.​​
    Post edited by bubblegirl2015 on
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • Options

To be fair, the people you have an issue with are the ones out there doing the math, parsing abilities and sending data to Cryptic. They're the ones out there actually figuring out how well things do and do not work. DPS players don't cry for nerfs, usually quite the opposite, but they do report when something is massively over powered or simply doesn't make any sense.

The reddit base is no different then any other public forum, it's a mix of all types of players from the most casual to the 'best of the best.' The thing is, the DPS crowd is the one gathering the hard research and the core numbers that Cryptic needs to analyze how something is (or isn't) working. They make this information freely available to everyone and frequently help players to improve their game if they want that.

Yeah, I was having a bit of knee-jerk reaction to Reddit. Just disregard that post, please.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »
    Yes, at level 63, you get one of those spiffy powers mentioned in the OP, depending on your profession. They're quite nice, actually.

I have 8 characters, all different professions, different ships, different weapons, all level 65. My hot bar is crammed full of buttons and consumables and TRIBBLE. I honestly did not even notice one more. If I don't play for a week I can't even remember what the heck most of them DO. Most missions I don't even use all of those buttons.
  • Options
    kaggert27kaggert27 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    Maybe they should rename the power now....just call it Dynamic Penetrating Assault , or Dynamic Breakout Targeting , or Dynamic Puncturing Strikes, or Blitzkrieg Incentive maybe? idk.
  • Options

Yeah, I was having a bit of knee-jerk reaction to Reddit. Just disregard that post, please.

No worries.. all good! :smile:
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    redvenge wrote: »
    echatty wrote: »

I have 8 characters, all different professions, different ships, different weapons, all level 65. My hot bar is crammed full of buttons and consumables and ****. I honestly did not even notice one more. If I don't play for a week I can't even remember what the heck most of them DO. Most missions I don't even use all of those buttons.

The next big rebalance better find a way to bring those buttons down to a more reasonable level. And if it's just giving us the console auto-trigger abilities. (Preferably unbugged.)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »

From my point of view that's very odd. I am now up to 20 characters, and I have no problems keeping track of what the hotbar icons are for

Agreed.

There are really only three kinds of buttons. Those for killing the enemy, Those to not be killed by the enemy and those to get to or from the enemy... wait hold on theirs a fourth type too... ah yeah fireworks. I like that one.

Sadly as of this time there is no button for the parana tank. But I have heard that it is going to be installed tuesday.

• Options
    azrael605 wrote: »

From my point of view that's very odd. I am now up to 20 characters, and I have no problems keeping track of what the hotbar icons are for

Agreed.

There are really only three kinds of buttons. Those for killing the enemy, Those to not be killed by the enemy and those to get to or from the enemy... wait hold on theirs a fourth type too... ah yeah fireworks. I like that one.

Sadly as of this time there is no button for the parana tank. But I have heard that it is going to be installed tuesday.

Sadly not. There was an issue with the parana tank, so installation has been delayed. Something about a cat failing into the tank, or not seeing their tail was in the tank while they sat on the edge having lunch
    pjxgwS8.jpg