test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

#LetMePlayChangeling

rahhmirahhmi Member Posts: 145 Arc User
So there's this guy.. he's a Jem'Hadar.... his character name is literally <Redacted by moderator> and he's been standing outside of Quark's since the DS9 remake launched on Tribble. He's there CONSTANTLY.

I've actually gotten to know the guy a little. At first I just stood around and egged him on, but after talking a bit I'm actually really into his cause.

So here's the deal. And Prettymuch everyone's gonna hate me more for saying this but... I have no interest what-so-ever in playing a changeling. Heck, I'm a Romulan who's really a pre-NewRom Fed-Alien. But still.

I didn't watch DS9, I don't wanna be femme Odo... none of that. But this is like his ultimate thing. As someone who's given away a few hundred lockbox ships that were many people's holy grail, I've gotten used to distinguishing who just wants an unlock notch and who actually wants something.

So. There's no way you're adding a changeling because of this guy. I get it. Be it CBS, Dev time, Any number of excuses. Who knows, you probably have no clue how to balance it, blah blah blah.

But there is ONE thing you COULD do...

You could totally give this guy changeling part unlocks and maybe an npc skill or two.

It wouldn't have to be balanced. You could justify it in the same fashion as you justified the Nagus fiasco. Players are gonna be annoyed about a half dozen things anyway... heck I'm still irritated that items can be bound to anything, let alone character or account.

But this guy... He's worth it. He's actually really pretty awesome, and he actually really cares about this kinda thing.

I'd fully support giving him (and just him if need be) Changeling. That would be cooler than any request i'd have about the game. (then again I already have a galaxy interior so...)
Post edited by starswordc on

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,040 Community Moderator
    twilightsparkleheaddesk.gif
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    So, you are advocating that they do it.. but just for this one guy?

Don't get me wrong, I admire the spirit of what you're doing. You think this guy deserves it and you're petitioning on his behalf, I can respect that. Surely though, you can see this from the other side as well, once you give this to one person, others want it and then cries of being 'unfair' ring out. You yourself mentioned the Nagus fiasco and that would likely be a microcosm in comparison to just giving something like this to one player.

I won't even go into the reasons why playable changeling's are problematic from a story perspective, but as a general rule giving something to a 'select few' especially without a firmly established criteria for earning that privilege will largely generate bad feeling among the general game community. Ultimately, I stand in a similar position to you, I don't want this for myself and I could not care less if they let this guy have it, but I think many would complain and ultimately there would be no up side from the Cryptic perspective.

Again, I understand what you're doing here and I respect it. I just don't think the request is realistic.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    danwaiganddanwaigand Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    I totally support and agree with everything Rahhmi said. Not even because she bribed me this time. Which she totally didn't do. People are going to complain about what they don't have that they think other people have, I know I get it constantly about any number of things. Like my lock box ships.
  • Options
    ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    I don't think that just one person should be handed special costume unlock parts, or NPC powers. CHANGE MY MIND.

I haven't heard specifics on the merits of an individual who wants this for himself. Only "This guy is awesome! He should totally have it," from the OP, and someone bribed by the OP.

What makes him awesome? What makes him worthy of such a thing? What has he done, to warrant being handed this? Camping DS9 and spamming emotes/dancing? Anyone can do that. Like the Night Elves who did that all the time in Stormwind. Is he like the kid who had a terminal illness and petitioned Blizzard for a Phoenix mount to fly around on with the time he had left? I'd like to read actual reasons why he deserves what you want to hand him.
  • Options
    morden613morden613 Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    So you're suggesting the devs spend a lot of hours coding the feature just for one guy?

"Because I think he's awesome" isn't a valid reason. Do better. Change our minds.​​
  • Options
    thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Well I think they talked about adding changelings during one of the livestreams its something they are wanting to do. So maybe we will all see playable changelings at some point. Though the feeling I get is a lot of players might be opposed to this to do them either being op or players seeing them as a god race. Some would think it would kill the rarity of changelings or some other reasons why they are against it.
  • Options
    morden613 wrote: »
    So you're suggesting the devs spend a lot of hours coding the feature just for one guy?

"Because I think he's awesome" isn't a valid reason. Do better. Change our minds.​​

I think they might be starting to work on this or going to start working on them. I don't think coding would be much of an issue for them. If they are determined to add them in then well they will do so even if the player base is receptive to it or not.
  • Options
    r0m#7631 r0m Member Posts: 134 Arc User
    Wait guys, think for a minute.

OP wants us to willingly implement a changeling in DS9. Why you say? Only one reason seems plausible to me: the OP is a Dominion agent who's trying to take over DS9 once again!

Well we shall not be fooled so easily! Ban him from the forums AND the game I say, FOREVER!

:p
  • Options
    ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    rahhmi wrote: »
    So there's this guy.. he's a Jem'Hadar.... his character name is literally <redacted by moderator> and he's been standing outside of Quark's since the DS9 remake launched on Tribble. He's there CONSTANTLY.

I've actually gotten to know the guy a little. At first I just stood around and egged him on, but after talking a bit I'm actually really into his cause.

So here's the deal. And Prettymuch everyone's gonna hate me more for saying this but... I have no interest what-so-ever in playing a changeling. Heck, I'm a Romulan who's really a pre-NewRom Fed-Alien. But still.

I didn't watch DS9, I don't wanna be femme Odo... none of that. But this is like his ultimate thing. As someone who's given away a few hundred lockbox ships that were many people's holy grail, I've gotten used to distinguishing who just wants an unlock notch and who actually wants something.

So. There's no way you're adding a changeling because of this guy. I get it. Be it CBS, Dev time, Any number of excuses. Who knows, you probably have no clue how to balance it, blah blah blah.

But there is ONE thing you COULD do...

You could totally give this guy changeling part unlocks and maybe an npc skill or two.

It wouldn't have to be balanced. You could justify it in the same fashion as you justified the Nagus fiasco. Players are gonna be annoyed about a half dozen things anyway... heck I'm still irritated that items can be bound to anything, let alone character or account.

But this guy... He's worth it. He's actually really pretty awesome, and he actually really cares about this kinda thing.

I'd fully support giving him (and just him if need be) Changeling. That would be cooler than any request i'd have about the game. (then again I already have a galaxy interior so...)

Thank you very much for basically insinuating that the rest of the player base deserves less than this one guy.
  • Options
    rahhmirahhmi Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Flaming/trolling redacted. -- StarSword-C

si2w6.jpg
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    No player should be able to play as a literal god! The Founders are wise and should be worshiped, not impersonated!

My opinion on some other races may differ, but that's a FCT topic now ...
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    r0m#7631 r0m Member Posts: 134 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Response to moderated post redacted. -- StarSword-C
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    No player should be able to play as a literal god! The Founders are wise and should be worshiped, not impersonated!

My opinion on some other races may differ, but that's a FCT topic now ...

There is a list of god like beings.
    Changelings are not on the list.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Powerful_and_godlike_beings

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Douwd
    A member of this race wiped out an entire speices just with a snap of his fingers most likely.
    Q obviously are the most powerful beings in the Star Trek Universe.
    http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Q_(species)

Off topic a little bit would not mind seeing the Douwd again or the Q and missions involving both species.

• Options
    wired2thenetwired2thenet Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    How would this even work? As far as canon is concerned, Changelings were always behind the scenes, not at the forefront, except in the case of maybe Odo (and even then, he was still more behind-the-scenes than in the forefront.

Changelings don't command ships. They orchestrate. Even the Vorta, which would make more sense than Changelings, orchestrated more than they commanded.

While it would be cool to extend an arm and whip some stupid Klingon (or a Fed Captain, if you're of the Klingon persuasion) upside his face, it just doesn't make sense from a canon perspective.

Vorta: maybe, but it still doesn't feel right.
    Changeling: definitely no.
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Not going to happen for ONE person. But adding a vorta option for gamma recruits would have been nice. also not going to happen at this point.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    edited June 2018
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,040 Community Moderator
    edited June 2018
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Why post a thread in a forum if you're then going to pigeonhole folk with hashtags and brand those that get close to agreeing with you as being echobots?
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    [Mod Hat] Protip: If your only response to criticism is to start throwing ad hominems, you're not going to last very long here. [/Mod Hat]

Blank+_1faf480825478c5762dc028c8e202a60.gif
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
This discussion has been closed.