test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Changing the past storyline, it's getting more and more confusing.

So I tried to play the new Gamma Quadrant missions but didn't understand much of the dialoge given. After some brief research and the dialoge given by Bashir. They changed the Klingon War arc missions. Again.

They've also changed other missions.

So far.. La Forge has been put in the Klingon War arc, but he's been there for a while. Garak and Weyon has been put into the Cardassian Struggle arc.. Garak, Quark, Rom, Leeta and Kira has also been put into the Dyson sphere's and appear in the New Romulus embassy.

And now Bashir has been put into the Klingon War arc.

Now don't get me wrong, I love having voice actors and I love seeing the characters in the game. But constantly changing past content and making small re-writes makes it difficult to get immersed in the story telling that Star Trek Online provides.

I can't even "complete" the game before the storyline has had small changes.

Star Trek Online used to always claim that each time playing the game was "Like your very own Star Trek Episode."

Well imagine if this was on TV? Okay, so we just finished Season 1.. Now let's watch Season 2. Oh wait, this doesn't make any sense.. Oh yeah.. They changed Season 1. *Facedesk*

It would be better to make more newer missions and area's where the new characters can appear, instead of re-writting and forcing them into past episodes. It ruins the storyline that players have to go back to replay missions they've already completed now with a tad different tone to them.

It makes zero sense from a story-telling perspective.

You cannot tell a story from Point A to B to C.. Then go back and change A so it fits better with C, it makes ZERO sense.

Small changes and additions are fine, but seriously..

Comments

• Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    It does lead to some moments of confusion but honestly they're pretty easy to reconcile on the spot and the experience for new players is going to be more of a thrill than working through stock NPC's (with the promise that the good cameos are later, don't worry.)

Bit up, bit down, but overall I think it's a neat thing to go back and do.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    Yeah I was just ranting a bit I guess, it's easy to go back. And as a new player I can understand it can be fun.

But can't they at least provide a list of what they change? With a spoilers warning or something.. So we can go back and see the changes. Instead of just getting a brick wall of confusion in the new content.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    But can't they at least provide a list of what they change? With a spoilers warning or something.. So we can go back and see the changes. Instead of just getting a brick wall of confusion in the new content.

That would be nice and something you would imagine fits in the realm of the patch notes...

*Gives our CM an eye...then remembers I'm rolling as a Tardigrade.*

Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    it's to make the most of their money... they hire em and pay em a ton of $ and so they want their money's worth and do more audio... i doubt they get paid by word or hour... so if they get booked for a day(s)... they do all the dialogue they can during that day(s)... they probably prioritized it and work down the list.

yes it makes the STO universe feel smaller... but hey it's what it is.
  • Options
    jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User

But this is exactly what those are. Small changes and additions that change basically nothing in the greater plot. It's like how George Lucas treated the original star wars trilogy, a few extra scenes here a bit more CGI there but it was still the same movie. Our "retcons" aren't the magnitude of "Greedos hot first", more like the extra guy in the jabba's palace singing performance.

And if you need a lore reason then blame temporal shenannigans. The timeline is a mess and it is getting screwed constantly, so much that even our agents don't know how to "fix it" anymore.

I thought Leia was hot first.

boldly-watched.png
  • Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User

But this is exactly what those are. Small changes and additions that change basically nothing in the greater plot. It's like how George Lucas treated the original star wars trilogy, a few extra scenes here a bit more CGI there but it was still the same movie. Our "retcons" aren't the magnitude of "Greedo shot first", more like the extra guy in the jabba's palace singing performance.

And if you need a lore reason then blame temporal shenannigans. The timeline is a mess and it is getting screwed up constantly, so much that even our agents don't know how to "fix it" anymore. ;)

• Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    jbmonroe wrote: »

But this is exactly what those are. Small changes and additions that change basically nothing in the greater plot. It's like how George Lucas treated the original star wars trilogy, a few extra scenes here a bit more CGI there but it was still the same movie. Our "retcons" aren't the magnitude of "Greedos hot first", more like the extra guy in the jabba's palace singing performance.

And if you need a lore reason then blame temporal shenannigans. The timeline is a mess and it is getting screwed constantly, so much that even our agents don't know how to "fix it" anymore.

I thought Leia was hot first.

Not into Rodians, eh? :D

Funny story, I tried to fix that typo and my original post got eaten.
    Now it really looks like there are temporal shenanigans involved.
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    On the bright side they replaced odo's line they lifted from an old crumpled VHS tape and phoned in for the S&C ending.
  • Options
    uliwitnessuliwitness Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »
    it's to make the most of their money... they hire em and pay em a ton of $ and so they want their money's worth and do more audio...

Actually, I asked about this in another thread on this forum, where the answer from Cryptic was basically: They couldn't do it originally because they couldn't afford union actors, Now they can, and so new players don't have to wait 50 levels to get their familiar Star Trek actors and characters, they are retroactively inserting them in the story.

I think that's great, and it's not as if this changes the story much.
    tigeraries wrote: »
    i doubt they get paid by word or hour...

Actually, that's exactly how union pay structure for voice actors works. They get a fixed fee "per session", and then additional pay per word/hour. So of course, if a session runs short, it's cheaper to add some extra phrases on the end than pay for an extra session to do them later, but this is enough text that they probably scheduled and budgeted for them way in advance.

Cheers,
    -- Uli
  • Options
    gryphonsatyr42gryphonsatyr42 Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    > @snowwolf#0563 said:
    > So I tried to play the new Gamma Quadrant missions but didn't understand much of the dialoge given. After some brief research and the dialoge given by Bashir. They changed the Klingon War arc missions. Again.
    >
    > They've also changed other missions.
    >
    > So far.. La Forge has been put in the Klingon War arc, but he's been there for a while. Garak and Weyon has been put into the Cardassian Struggle arc.. Garak, Quark, Rom, Leeta and Kira has also been put into the Dyson sphere's and appear in the New Romulus embassy.
    >
    > And now Bashir has been put into the Klingon War arc.
    >
    > Now don't get me wrong, I love having voice actors and I love seeing the characters in the game. But constantly changing past content and making small re-writes makes it difficult to get immersed in the story telling that Star Trek Online provides.
    >
    > I can't even "complete" the game before the storyline has had small changes.
    >
    > Star Trek Online used to always claim that each time playing the game was "Like your very own Star Trek Episode."
    >
    > Well imagine if this was on TV? Okay, so we just finished Season 1.. Now let's watch Season 2. Oh wait, this doesn't make any sense.. Oh yeah.. They changed Season 1. *Facedesk*
    >
    > It would be better to make more newer missions and area's where the new characters can appear, instead of re-writting and forcing them into past episodes. It ruins the storyline that players have to go back to replay missions they've already completed now with a tad different tone to them.
    >
    > It makes zero sense from a story-telling perspective.
    >
    > You cannot tell a story from Point A to B to C.. Then go back and change A so it fits better with C, it makes ZERO sense.
    >
    > Small changes and additions are fine, but seriously..

Thanks... I thought I was going senile for a moment.
  • Options
    jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    3 words.
    Blame Temporal mechanics.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    If they want to go back and make an Undine War arc ... I can live with it :) ...

Devs ... go make an Undine war arc!!!!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    djf021djf021 Member Posts: 1,379 Arc User
    They have Opaka as Kai during the Cardassian Struggle/Dominion arc, when she was still trapped in the gamma quadrant......that doesnt make any sense whatsoever

Actually I totally agree on this one...In that arc, Kira should be Kai.
    C4117709-1498929112732780large.jpg

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
    -Captain James T. Kirk
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    I look at all these little changes as the way the timeline works itself out after we go and kill the "wrong" person in the past. We don't due enough damage to change it drastically but we due enough to cause tiny little shifts such as Geordi showing up in the KWA.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    djf021 wrote: »
    They have Opaka as Kai during the Cardassian Struggle/Dominion arc, when she was still trapped in the gamma quadrant......that doesnt make any sense whatsoever

Actually I totally agree on this one...In that arc, Kira should be Kai.

Kira is still Kai in the Diplomatic side mission on DS9, where you aquire some piece of land.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I think most of the changes have been small, but for the better.

I will admit though.. there were times when I was a little confused. Like when I first played Beyond the Nexus and Geordi says 'great to see you again.' That was a bit confusing.

I am cool with the changes, but yeah.. it would be nice if they would just list it when they have made a change so that we can all reconcile the storyline in our heads before going forward. The issue is minor, I just shrugged it off and went on with the episode, but it would help just for the sake of clarity.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    Just wait until Drake gets pulled from the missions, and Daniels is inserted in his place.
  • Options
    ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    I'd support adding this to patch notes just so I'd know immediately what missions to replay to see the new additions.

@ichaerus1

I welcome Drake's demise... I mean removal.

I'll admit, that I'm ignorant on a lot of the Star Trek lore. Other than Drake being a spook, and making Klingons do a Benny Hill chase for him through the early part of the game(with no real resolution afterwards), why the hate? Other than pointing to google, is there a series that he's in, where he does a lot of really bad stuff? Without giving too many spoilers, of course.
  • Options
    azrael605 wrote: »
    I'll admit, that I'm ignorant on a lot of the Star Trek lore. Other than Drake being a spook, and making Klingons do a Benny Hill chase for him through the early part of the game(with no real resolution afterwards), why the hate? Other than pointing to google, is there a series that he's in, where he does a lot of really bad stuff? Without giving too many spoilers, of course.

Drake is Section 31, I hate Section 31, it is the one thing in Trek above all others that I despise, so I want Drake to die.

Section 31 had a much bigger deal in the game before, there was even a mission that gave you a chose to "join" them. Even though the mission would pass anyway, all it did was give you a different ending hail.

You ran through a ship, killing Starfleet officers hidden as Undine or something.. Then it was revealed to be a huge Section 31 test.

Also a lot of other missions..

That was removed, but these missions with Drake were just.. Thrown into the Klingon War.

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Mission:_Suspect

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    Voiceover pay is by the hour; the only benefit to being a big name is that you can demand more per hour. (My understanding is that some of the actors actually did this gig for guild scale back when the game launched, because they liked the idea that much.) Keeping in mind that even if you work for 1:05, you still get paid for a full two hours, they might as well keep you working for all the time they're paying for.

Now, for, say, commercial voiceovers or announcements, the director might just keep asking you for different takes until the time runs out. That, as you can imagine, gets aggravating quite quickly. I think it's better to do it this way - I'm fairly sure the actors would rather be asked to recite more lines than be told, "Yeah, that was great! Perfect! Now do it again, but this time you're slightly constipated and getting over a bad cold."
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    I will point out that Elim Garak wanting Bajoran Distilled Kanar in Second Wave makes little sense, doesn't seem to fit his character at all. So... I really hope they didnt replace Rugan Syl there.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    gradii wrote: »
    I will point out that Elim Garak wanting Bajoran Distilled Kanar in Second Wave makes little sense, doesn't seem to fit his character at all. So... I really hope they didnt replace Rugan Syl there.

He replaced the old Cardassian ambassador and he still wants Bajoran distillined kanar, the mission is the same. However it's the same as before, it's for his "mentor".. Not for himself.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    > @snowwolf#0563 said:
    > gradii wrote: »
    >
    > I will point out that Elim Garak wanting Bajoran Distilled Kanar in Second Wave makes little sense, doesn't seem to fit his character at all. So... I really hope they didnt replace Rugan Syl there.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > He replaced the old Cardassian ambassador and he still wants Bajoran distillined kanar, the mission is the same. However it's the same as before, it's for his "mentor".. Not for himself.

Yeah, so instead of coming off nakedly racist, now it just comes off as tone-deaf, which is out of character for Garak. There's also still no retort for Bajoran toons, and I'm assuming not for Cardassian toons either.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    It gets so confusing that I basically stopped caring and thinking about the STO timeline at all.

Regardless of that, some of the changes are for the better, some are for the worse. For instance, I love the character of Garak, but there's a lot of spots where he absolutely doesn't fit in the game.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!