test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Vanguard Wingmen

Either I am blind or I am not able to find the full stats of the wingmen anywhere, but i've noticed these things doing more than just the 3 activated abilities they have. I've seen them do Eject Warp Plasma as well, or at least some variation of it. What else can these things do?

Comments

• Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    I haven't seen them doing anything like that. But I would also like to see stats for them to see why they're so powerful. The pair doing a single strafing run can almost kill an NPC battleship on normal. (Full shields and health to 1 shield facing down and 10-20% hp.)
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    These wingmen are like OP bugship fighters. So far they have been worthwhile to me. They don't use special powers like I do in my ship, but they do the job and placate the enemy effectively. If you don't like them you aren't playing right.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • Options
    alonaralonar Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    I can confirm that they do at the very least have CSV and Eject Warp Plasma. Also has anyone else had the problem of them going MIA during a mission when you have a map change?
  • Options
    lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    They definitely have Eject Warp Plasma, and they disappeared for me as well when I went to the Mirror Universe, during the mission where the player returns an Orb.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    The Wingmen have been hands down the best thing about the Jem ships so far.

I got the Dread Cruiser, and while I like it well enough.. without the Wingmen, it's just another slow engineering heavy cruiser.. yawn...

The Wingmen Mechanic however works fantastic as do the Jem'Hadar Hangar pets. They stick to you like glue, they're always with you in combat and the Wingman powers are very potent. I sicked them both on a Borg Cube, linked them together and ordered them to both do the attack volley and they almost killed the cube in one pass.

Those little guys can hit pretty hard. They give the Jem'Hadar ships a nice little punch that they wouldn't normally have. I am actually highly impressed with how well this mechanic works. I have had zero issues getting my Wingmen to fight or follow my commands.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @seaofsorrows said:
    > The Wingmen have been hands down the best thing about the Jem ships so far.
    >
    > I got the Dread Cruiser, and while I like it well enough.. without the Wingmen, it's just another slow engineering heavy cruiser.. yawn...
    >
    > The Wingmen Mechanic however works fantastic as do the Jem'Hadar Hangar pets. They stick to you like glue, they're always with you in combat and the Wingman powers are very potent. I sicked them both on a Borg Cube, linked them together and ordered them to both do the attack volley and they almost killed the cube in one pass.
    >
    > Those little guys can hit pretty hard. They give the Jem'Hadar ships a nice little punch that they wouldn't normally have. I am actually highly impressed with how well this mechanic works. I have had zero issues getting my Wingmen to fight or follow my commands.

I want the strife mechanic for Hangar Pets like my Callistos.
  • Options
    lordgyor wrote: »
    > @seaofsorrows said:
    > The Wingmen have been hands down the best thing about the Jem ships so far.
    >
    > I got the Dread Cruiser, and while I like it well enough.. without the Wingmen, it's just another slow engineering heavy cruiser.. yawn...
    >
    > The Wingmen Mechanic however works fantastic as do the Jem'Hadar Hangar pets. They stick to you like glue, they're always with you in combat and the Wingman powers are very potent. I sicked them both on a Borg Cube, linked them together and ordered them to both do the attack volley and they almost killed the cube in one pass.
    >
    > Those little guys can hit pretty hard. They give the Jem'Hadar ships a nice little punch that they wouldn't normally have. I am actually highly impressed with how well this mechanic works. I have had zero issues getting my Wingmen to fight or follow my commands.

I want the strife mechanic for Hangar Pets like my Callistos.

It wouldn't do anything.

They would just strafe empty space since they're always 20km behind you. :smiley:
  • Options
    wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    Is there an appreciable difference between the wingmen and the hangar pets?

• Options
    jabofneurospinejabofneurospine Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    Is there an appreciable difference between the wingmen and the hangar pets?

Yes, they actually work much more like other combat pets rather than hangar pets. You don't manually launch them and they automatically respawn after 15s if destroyed. They always follow your ship and match your target. They don't use carrier commands, rather they have three activated abilities which all cause them to strafe the target firing cannon: rapid fire, apply a hull heal and shield hardness buff to the target, or drain the target's shield. Whenever one of the commands are activated the wingman preforms a microwarp that repositions the wingman next to your ship, which really helps keep the wingman in combat as opposed to wandering around somewhere behind your ship like many pets tend to do.
  • Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    The wingmen live longer, hit harder, follow your orders, actually stick around you and even if they kick the bucket they respawn auotmatically after a couple seconds. Only flown the raider and warship so far but my attack runs with both wingmen are devastating. might be not as effective on the carrier and cruiser though.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    might be not as effective on the carrier and cruiser though.

I fly the Dreadnought Cruiser and the Wingmen are pretty much what makes the ship worth flying. Take those away and the ship is very lackluster.

Rather I am using them to boost damage or to heal me, they just flat out work.. it's a refreshing change from the behavior I am used to seeing from pets in STO.
  • Options
    omega6theta1omega6theta1 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    Excellent addition to the game, love my wingmen.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Maybe the Wingman are a test bed for better carrier implementation?

One can always dream.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    If only you could customize their weapons, along with the Heavy Attack Craft.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • Options
    Maybe the Wingman are a test bed for better carrier implementation?

One can always dream.

I am hoping so.. because these things work the way pets should have been working all these years.
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    If the hangar pets had a leashing mechanic that stopped them going beyond 15-20km from the ship they'd instantly be a lot better in a lot of cases.

Strangely the drones and fer'jai have never really been as bad as other frigate pets. Mobulai tend to be well behaved too which is good for the cascade console.

Vorogn ones need you to set a pair of keybinds for dock and deploy because if you go into combat and they're off behind somewhere they target the enemy but do nothing but spam mines.

The jupiter carrier always felt like they wanted to revisit the wallowy vo'quv which is why she moves like a beached whale but for the callistos to be as bad as they are nailed the coffin on that ship for me.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    cryptic seriously needs to take vanguard wingmen AI and copy-paste it right over hangar pet AI....don't even BOTHER trying to fix hangar AI anymore - you ALWAYS fail

oh, and add that microwarp regrouping thing to all carrier commands​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    So, if I'm reading this correctly, the wingmen are essentially a working version of what hangar pets were supposed to do and be?

That seems a bit strange, but I don't usually fly ships with hangar pets, so if that's what it is, so be it.
  • Options
    lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    > @shadowfang240 said:
    > cryptic seriously needs to take vanguard wingmen AI and copy-paste it right over hangar pet AI....don't even BOTHER trying to fix hangar AI anymore - you ALWAYS fail
    >
    > oh, and add that microwarp regrouping thing to all carrier commands​​

Oh, please no. There’s enough broken stuff in the game from copy-pasting as it is.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Blog posts that are copy pasted with the wrong dates should be enough of a warning that its a bad idea.

The recall warp would be really useful to have, although if the pets are lurking 40km away would it actually work?
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Wingmen, the support ship and 2 hangers makes the carrier a true 'one man fleet'. In Borg Disconnected I can sit there and save Borg ships while the pets take all the aggro.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    cryptic seriously needs to take vanguard wingmen AI and copy-paste it right over hangar pet AI....don't even BOTHER trying to fix hangar AI anymore - you ALWAYS fail

^^ 100% This!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    Yup the vanguard wingmen are awesome, I hope they bring that mechanic to the saucer sep/auxiliary crafts too, wich are in need of a dire revamp. Just look at the comparision between the vanguard ships and the heavy attack detacheble craft that the carrier comes with. That thing barely hits anything and dies pretty fast, needed to go over the lenghty cooldown to summon it again...
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,986 Arc User
    Have a Sci'Van'hadar in the carrier who's pets parsed 28K. This ain't bad but hopefully they'll get buffed in the future.